Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Car will not start - 90 Quattro Type85 B2

Old 17-01-16, 04:14 PM   #1
Steve
Grown up member

Default Car will not start - 90 Quattro Type85 B2

Recently bought a 90 Quattro as I've always wanted one.

Lots to do on the car, but for now I'd like to get it running so at least I can drive it out and back into the garage.

So far I've put a gallon of fuel in and used a booster to support the knackered battery. The car turns over freely but makes no attempt to fire.

I've had the plugs out and there is fuel on them. I have assumed that they are the correct plugs and that the gap is correct.

Each plug has been checked and I am getting a spark.

I did notice one vacuum line had become detached to this device.......and on trying get to it, I also broke this.......

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-16, 05:42 PM   #2
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

That's a throttle cut off valve. Best to check all the breathers as they go mushy and tend to split. The large one from the rear of the air box to the top of the cam cover is usually the worst followed by the small hose under the injectors which comes out the side of the head.

Plugs should be W6 DTC.

Have you checked the timing
Old 17-01-16, 06:44 PM   #3
Sandro
Grown up member

Vacuum system is essential on K-jet so You need to get it sorted to get car started
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-16, 07:40 PM   #4
Steve
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
That's a throttle cut off valve. Best to check all the breathers as they go mushy and tend to split. The large one from the rear of the air box to the top of the cam cover is usually the worst followed by the small hose under the injectors which comes out the side of the head.

Plugs should be W6 DTC.

Have you checked the timing
I don't really know a lot about the KV engine, although bits do look similar to the UR.

I'll get the rest of the pipes off this week and check them all and attempt a repair on the Throttle Cut Off Valve + replace the vacuum line that goes to it.

Re. timing, it's had a new cambelt just before I got it, but it is on my list to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
Vacuum system is essential on K-jet so You need to get it sorted to get car started
Thanks, I'll replace all of the vacuum lines.

Last edited by Steve; 18-01-16 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 17-01-16, 10:13 PM   #5
Sandro
Grown up member

If it doesn't start when all pipes are sorted, check if distributor rotor is on position for first cylinder when cylinder is on very top position. Sometimes people taking off distributor puts it other way arround and ignition is wrong then
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-16, 09:09 PM   #6
quattrostyle
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'll get the rest of the pipes off this week and check them all and attempt a repair on the Throttle Cut Off Valve + replace the vacuum line that goes to it.
You can ditch the cut off valve without a problem, you will need to block the hole in the inlet hose though.

Check timing as Sandro described, also check if the valves on first cylinder are closed at TDC, lobes on the camshaft can be seen through the oil cap opening and need to be in this position \ /
quattrostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 07:05 PM   #7
Steve
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrostyle View Post
You can ditch the cut off valve without a problem, you will need to block the hole in the inlet hose though.

Check timing as Sandro described, also check if the valves on first cylinder are closed at TDC, lobes on the camshaft can be seen through the oil cap opening and need to be in this position \ /
How easy is it to get the bumper off so that I can get a socket on the crank pulley so that I can manually turn the engine over and get it to TDC?
Old 19-01-16, 09:46 PM   #8
SE_30
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
How easy is it to get the bumper off so that I can get a socket on the crank pulley so that I can manually turn the engine over and get it to TDC?
Easy peasy... Pull the indicators out and you'll find two 13mm bolts behind them. Plugs for fog lamps and bob's your uncle.
SE_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 10:37 PM   #9
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi, I agree with all the previous posts but there is one thing, DO NOT use the front crank shaft pulley for your TDC timing mark use the flywheel 0 mark just incase the pulley has stepped round on the rubber center (anti vibration damper)
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-16, 11:29 PM   #10
styler
Classic Audi Club Member

is the fuel pump kicking in?

and i think if you remove the lower grills on the bumper you can get in to the crank,

also dont take drugs, drugs are bad!!

get 'er done...
styler is offline   Reply With Quote