Classic Audi » Community » Spotted! » practical classic Magazine

Old 17-04-15, 04:15 PM   #1
Bugmaster
Grown up member

Default practical classic Magazine

Hi All,

Just spotted May's edition and features a resto of a ur quattro, nice body but the seats let it down shame it's not done do original factory finish

Regards
Bugmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-15, 06:52 PM   #2
ChrisG
Classic Audi Club Member

and the TURBO badge on the rear left ( after the word AUDI) is really NAFF....
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-15, 07:26 PM   #3
lefthooker
Classic Audi Club Member

lefthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-15, 09:18 PM   #4
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Since when has a Ur been a practical classic...

Practically bankrupt classic owner would be more appropriate...
Old 17-04-15, 09:35 PM   #5
geneandbolly
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
Since when has a Ur been a practical classic...

Practically bankrupt classic owner would be more appropriate...
Old 18-04-15, 09:11 AM   #6
Paule67
Newbie!

Default More details on the car.

Gents, as you rightly say, the car in the magazine is not factory original.the names in the magazine title however. It's practical classics magazine. I was completely expecting the back room experts to be commenting on its lack of originality, as it seems that's what people do these days on forums.

As you see by the article, I'm an Audi enthusiast through and through. I was a founder member of club Audi and have earned my right of passage with my collection of classic audis over the years. In terms of Quattro knowledge, I probably have more than most having rebuilt and worked on just about every Audi over the years up to the current models.

This car however, is not meant to be a museum piece. I've owned it since 89 and I love driving it. It's always been a second car and has about 80 k miles on it with all its service history and mots....3 box files worth of history!.

In terms of originality.
It has its correct working radio unlike most I've seen
It has no add ins or boost gauges on the dash pad or console unlike many
It has no repaired rear parcel shelf or big pioneer speakers...they are original
It's has all its original panels, sills, wings, boot floor etc etc..with exception of a later rust free bonnet added in the 90s
It's got it's original Fuba aerial which still works
It has an original engine bay with correct radiators, covers and clips..unlike many with later alloy rads and no radiator covers.

I do however understand some parts are not original.....

It has gorgeous stainless steel sill covers with Quattro on them.Much better than original and every Quattro owner so far has asked me where to buy them. You can't. They were bought in the 80s.
Some parts are chromed in the engine bay...I have originals as well.
It has a working car phone...which was added in the 80s
Yes. It also has a naff turbo badge....which was added by the original owner....yes as you guessed it...in the 80s!
It has alloy rally pedal covers....which were added in the 80s....

So in terms of originality.....do I leave it as it was 'originally' in its time, or do I take it back to a museum piece.?. Every modification and detail on that car I know as I owned it then....did you ?

I decided it's my car and I restored it to how I wanted it and remember it as a young man....so it looks as original as one would expect it to, but with sympathetic upgrades in keeping with the car.

Having been around quattros for years, I'm happy this car stands scrutiny with the best.....especially given its a WR .....Not an MB which as we all know were generally looked after much better in the day. WR were not and rusted like hell and were thrashed as they were cheaper and older.

For the original poster...the article in the magazine does state.... I have the original seats , which incidentally are in immaculate condition with no bolster wear or collapse....unlike most I've seen. and I have the original bus sized four spoke steering wheel.i have every single original piece on this car, including the black plastic sill covers and pedal rubbers....however I want to use my car and enjoy it. Everyone who's seen it with the leather says its so much better. I know the seats are not original, but they are Quattro original, so it's not like they're from a different car. Since the photoshoot the correct seat frames are now in the top parts, as the ones I had to first make seats with were 1cm taller As they were from a later car. The originals were being powder coated.. I only had a few days notice to get this car ready as the photographer date changed, so had to go with what I had.

I hope this answers questions for the doubters...the car can easily be put to a totally 'original' car should I so wish. At this time I don't wish to as I like it as it is...

What we should be saying rather than slating a fellow Quattro enthusiast off is....how great to see a Quattro in a national magazine...so we could get interest in more people saving these fabulous cars.
Paule67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-15, 09:21 AM   #7
slacky
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Well said , every one should be allowed to put their stamp on their car
Not everyone wants a museum piece after all

90q-Cab.
2.3E-Ur-S6
-b2-80 Sport
Member 111
slacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-15, 10:35 AM   #8
john bowden
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule67 View Post
What we should be saying rather than slating a fellow Quattro enthusiast off is....how great to see a Quattro in a national magazine...so we could get interest in more people saving these fabulous cars.
Well said

John
john bowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-15, 10:47 AM   #9
Daveymaclad
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Gents, as you rightly say, the car in the magazine is not factory original.the names in the magazine title however. It's practical classics magazine. I was completely expecting the back room experts to be commenting on its lack of originality, as it seems that's what people do these days on forums.

As you see by the article, I'm an Audi enthusiast through and through. I was a founder member of club Audi and have earned my right of passage with my collection of classic audis over the years. In terms of Quattro knowledge, I probably have more than most having rebuilt and worked on just about every Audi over the years up to the current models.

This car however, is not meant to be a museum piece. I've owned it since 89 and I love driving it. It's always been a second car and has about 80 k miles on it with all its service history and mots....3 box files worth of history!.

In terms of originality.
It has its correct working radio unlike most I've seen
It has no add ins or boost gauges on the dash pad or console unlike many
It has no repaired rear parcel shelf or big pioneer speakers...they are original
It's has all its original panels, sills, wings, boot floor etc etc..with exception of a later rust free bonnet added in the 90s
It's got it's original Fuba aerial which still works
It has an original engine bay with correct radiators, covers and clips..unlike many with later alloy rads and no radiator covers.

I do however understand some parts are not original.....

It has gorgeous stainless steel sill covers with Quattro on them.Much better than original and every Quattro owner so far has asked me where to buy them. You can't. They were bought in the 80s.
Some parts are chromed in the engine bay...I have originals as well.
It has a working car phone...which was added in the 80s
Yes. It also has a naff turbo badge....which was added by the original owner....yes as you guessed it...in the 80s!
It has alloy rally pedal covers....which were added in the 80s....

So in terms of originality.....do I leave it as it was 'originally' in its time, or do I take it back to a museum piece.?. Every modification and detail on that car I know as I owned it then....did you ?

I decided it's my car and I restored it to how I wanted it and remember it as a young man....so it looks as original as one would expect it to, but with sympathetic upgrades in keeping with the car.

Having been around quattros for years, I'm happy this car stands scrutiny with the best.....especially given its a WR .....Not an MB which as we all know were generally looked after much better in the day. WR were not and rusted like hell and were thrashed as they were cheaper and older.

For the original poster...the article in the magazine does state.... I have the original seats , which incidentally are in immaculate condition with no bolster wear or collapse....unlike most I've seen. and I have the original bus sized four spoke steering wheel.i have every single original piece on this car, including the black plastic sill covers and pedal rubbers....however I want to use my car and enjoy it. Everyone who's seen it with the leather says its so much better. I know the seats are not original, but they are Quattro original, so it's not like they're from a different car. Since the photoshoot the correct seat frames are now in the top parts, as the ones I had to first make seats with were 1cm taller As they were from a later car. The originals were being powder coated.. I only had a few days notice to get this car ready as the photographer date changed, so had to go with what I had.

I hope this answers questions for the doubters...the car can easily be put to a totally 'original' car should I so wish. At this time I don't wish to as I like it as it is...

Agree 100%.

My ur is NEVER going to be original whilst it's in my hands. I particularly love the sport quattro bonnet mine has, it gives it much more road presence.

The real money for these cars is in original condition but if you're not looking to cash in then I say make the car as YOU want it and sod the rest!
Old 18-04-15, 12:27 PM   #10
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Gents......
Welcome to Classic Audi !

John. is offline   Reply With Quote