Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Is there anybody from Canada?

Old 25-09-15, 12:46 AM   #1
Stanson
Grown up member

Default Is there anybody from Canada?

It seems that I'll have a journey late October, so I have a heap of questions about the country.
I'll be in Toronto with my daughter to visit some universities to choose one for her. Also we want to take a look at Winnipeg universities. Of course, Niagara in list too.

So, if somebody can advise something about Canada transport, hotels, food etc - it will be very appreciated.

Last edited by Stanson; 25-09-15 at 12:51 AM.
Stanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-15, 10:47 PM   #2
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Greetings Stanson,

I'm not Canadian, but I hear Western University (not far west of Toronto) had a good reputation for subjects like History, Political Science, etc. Not sure what their reputation is for law and the sciences. It gets very cold there and transport becomes an issue regularly during winter. Nothing I'm sure you'll be unfamiliar with from your experience of Russian weather.

Udachi

Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-15, 03:09 AM   #3
Stanson
Grown up member

Thanks. We wiill check it.
Winter is not a problem at all. Moscow weather is something like Winnipeg, but with far less sunny days. So, Toronto will be real place of resort.
Old 26-09-15, 09:02 AM   #4
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Lofty will be along shortly, maybe. Most of my time in Canada was spent in Quebec, where the food is more French, along with some other traits.

I used to to spend a fair bit of time in Hamilton, south of Toronto, and as you mention, Niagara is a must see.
What little I saw of Toronto, I thought was tending towards being similar to The U.S. But don't tell them that!
The train system gets a lot of flak from the locals.

On the whole, I enjoyed Canada, though.
Old 27-09-15, 12:58 AM   #5
Lofty

Hi Stanson.
I live about 100 miles northwest of Toronto up near Lake Huron.
Toronto is a pretty clean city with lots of good places to eat.
Downtown places to visit are The Rogers centre where the Blue Jays play.
Go in the hotel entrance and grab a window seat at the bar and enjoy a beer.
Make sure you go up the CN tower. If you go straight to the restaurant you avoid the exhorbitant entry fee and still get to see a great view. If you are feeling more daring go for the skywalk where you go for a "walk" around outside and get to hang/lean over the edge. (deffo not for the faint of heart)
Back down on terra firma visit the Ripley Aquarium with its huge shark tunnel and then dive over the road and visit Steam Whistle Brewing Company situated in the old Railroad Loco Roundhouse.
If you are feeling hungry and exceptionally flush, Georges restaurant is the best (and most expensive meal) I have ever had. Try the taster set menu !
Lakeshore is worth a wander along though may be a tad brisk in Oct.
For a HUGE shopping experience Vaughn Mills outlet mall should cover all bases but it is situated North of Toronto about 15 mins (if you're very lucky) up Highway 400
Transport around Toronto is good with the underground , buses and trams.
As for anywhere rural (if you are thinking about it) there is pretty much feck all public transport !
Trains are mega expensive and very limited.
Out in the Boonies if you don't have a car , you're screwed !

If you can get up to Muskoka and have a drive around (if the Autumn leaves are still on the trees) it is absolutely stunning. Huntsville ,Gravenhurst and especially Lake Rosseau.....all nice)

Niagara Falls is a must see. Been there about 10 times .....never get bored of it.
Make sure you go out on the Hornblower cruise and visit under the falls !
Also highly recommended is the Whirlpool which is a couple of miles down stream.....I doubt the Gondola will be running which takes you out over the gorge but still well worth seeing.
Niagara itself is a dump so I recommend a visit to Niagara on the Lake which is beautiful.
Try and find some time to visit some wineries and if the tours are still running , have a wander. Particularly recommended are Peller Estates and Trius wines.
Eat at Peller Estates if you can.....it is truly superb !
If you are staying in downtown Niagara Falls , try and eat at The Keg Restaurant that overlooks the Falls (good luck getting a window seat) well worth seeing it all at night.

I presume you know Winnipeg is ferkin miles away from Toronto ? Pretty much miles from anywhere to be honest !
It is on the far side of nowhere and will be "balls off a Brass Monkey" cold......so pack yer thermals !!!!!
Hope your daughter likes snow and ice !
They breed 'em tough out there !
Hope this is all of some use to you !
If there is any more stuff I can help with , give me a shout !

Last edited by Lofty; 27-09-15 at 01:13 AM.
Lofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-15, 01:04 AM   #6
Lofty

What uni's are your daughter looking at ?
Ryerson Uniis a great school but is situated in an extremely dodgy area of Toronto.
Western is in London and is prestigious.
McMaster is in Hamilton and is also prestigious.

Last edited by Lofty; 27-09-15 at 01:10 AM.
Old 27-09-15, 11:17 PM   #7
Stanson
Grown up member

Wow! Thank you very much, Lofty! I didn't expect so detailed guide.

As I understand, if we want to get somewhere out of Toronto, say Niagara Falls, it's reasonable to rent a car, isn't it?

As for Winnipeg, I know, it's 2000 km from Toronto, trains are expensive and bus is not an option as it is one and half a day in bus seat, so the only option for us is plane. May be it's look too cold for Toronto citizen, but according to the weather statistics, it has the same climate as Moscow, but with far more sunny days over the year. So, it's not a problem at all. Especially accounting the fact that I was born and graduated high school in Severodvinsk city near Archangelsk on the south beach of White Sea, 2000 km to north from Moscow and few hundred kilometers to polar circle. Really strange place without nights all summer.

As for expensive restauraunts - it depends on what you mean under "expensive"? We are not a rich family, especially in western terms, so 100 year old wine and truffels with black caviar is not the thing we choose to spend money, but if a dinner is really worth it, say, $200 spent for excellent evening is not a big problem.

What about tips tradition in Canada? I know in some countries tips is a must in hotels and restaurants, in others you even can't give them.

As for universities, daughter have invitations from some Toronto university (I can find the exact name later) and from Manitoba University. Manitoba University is attractive because of good rating and reasonable price. Also we want to visit other universities.
Daughter study for Graphical Design in Southampton now, so it must be something about arts, I think.

Last edited by Stanson; 27-09-15 at 11:26 PM.
Old 27-09-15, 11:25 PM   #8
Stanson
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MSH! View Post
I used to to spend a fair bit of time in Hamilton, south of Toronto, and as you mention, Niagara is a must see.
What little I saw of Toronto, I thought was tending towards being similar to The U.S. But don't tell them that!
Thanks, but I never was in U.S. and it's hard for me to imagine what it's like.

Quote:
The train system gets a lot of flak from the locals.
Yes, I already got it from google. That's definitely not like S-Bahn in Switzerland and too expencive.

Quote:
On the whole, I enjoyed Canada, though.
Hope we will enjoy too.
Old 28-09-15, 01:23 AM   #9
Lofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanson View Post
Wow! Thank you very much, Lofty! I didn't expect so detailed guide.

As I understand, if we want to get somewhere out of Toronto, say Niagara Falls, it's reasonable to rent a car, isn't it?

As for Winnipeg, I know, it's 2000 km from Toronto, trains are expensive and bus is not an option as it is one and half a day in bus seat, so the only option for us is plane. May be it's look too cold for Toronto citizen, but according to the weather statistics, it has the same climate as Moscow, but with far more sunny days over the year. So, it's not a problem at all. Especially accounting the fact that I was born and graduated high school in Severodvinsk city near Archangelsk on the south beach of White Sea, 2000 km to north from Moscow and few hundred kilometers to polar circle. Really strange place without nights all summer.

As for expensive restauraunts - it depends on what you mean under "expensive"? We are not a rich family, especially in western terms, so 100 year old wine and truffels with black caviar is not the thing we choose to spend money, but if a dinner is really worth it, say, $200 spent for excellent evening is not a big problem.

What about tips tradition in Canada? I know in some countries tips is a must in hotels and restaurants, in others you even can't give them.

As for universities, daughter have invitations from some Toronto university (I can find the exact name later) and from Manitoba University. Manitoba University is attractive because of good rating and reasonable price. Also we want to visit other universities.
Daughter study for Graphical Design in Southampton now, so it must be something about arts, I think.
Yer welcome !
Car hire is going to be reasonable as the Canadian dollar has tanked against the pound and a good deal shouldn't be hard to come by !
It's an easy drive down to Niagara , will take about an hour and a half on the QEW.
I see you have experience of Russian Winters , so Winnipeg will hold no fear !
Torontonians have it pretty easy with limited snow and temps.......the Lake keeps it more moderate temp wise and they don't get a lot of snow.
Georges Restaurant is around $200-250 per person.....but what a Culinary experience !
Tipping is expected and you can "get away" with 10% but 15% is better.....though if the service is crap, tell 'em !
Most good restaurants are going to set you back at least $100 per person if you drink wine.
A lot less if you only drink water !
A decent steak is $30 upwards.
Manitoba Uni is offering attractive rates as it's not the nicest place in Canada....I have not been but this is the view shared by my Canadian friends.
Flying is probably your best option as you will be sick of straight roads and empty prairies if you go by bus !