Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Brexit stuff.

Old 22-10-18, 08:25 PM   #31
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Thank you, Delia Smith.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-18, 08:44 PM   #32
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

There certainly was a lot of pre referendum cooking of the books going on

Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-18, 07:15 AM   #33
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Another bite of the cherry!

I see what you did there
Old 14-12-18, 12:05 PM   #34
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Im still not seeing any kind of response to the following question though; In the event of another vote if remain won by the same margin as leave did would that then be the end of the matter?
I keep telling you, there will not be a second referendum for the reason you put above. Best of three? five? etc, It will break democracy rules. There could be a general election where a party gets in on a second vote pledge, and we have something not called a leave referendum, maybe called a cancel brexit referendum.

I would burst with laughter if leave wins again by a bigger margin
Copied and pasted from this topic on Reddit today: https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingd...otiating_deal/

Quote:
mister_barfly75
Medway69 points · 2 hours ago
There was a petition recently requesting a People's Referendum if the exit deal got rejected by Parliament. It reached the 100,000 threshold and so the government had to respond.
Despite my misgivings about these petitions (i.e. they're useless and are just there to give us plebs the illusion that we're actively participating in democracy), I signed it. Nothing to lose, right?
I got an email this morning to say that the government had responded. The main points:
  • A "clear majority" of people had voted Leave
  • Parliament "overwhelmingly confirmed" the decision to Leave
  • 80% of people voted for parties which were committed to "respecting the result of the referendum."
  • The Government is committed to "respecting... the will of the people."
  • **** off.
There will be no referendum happening while May is in charge.
It's a shame they can't put the time or effort into some petition for something important, instead of something they are constantly being told won't happen.
Old 14-12-18, 12:29 PM   #35
William Blyth
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Most people voted to leave as they were fed up with un-elected people telling us what to do. I suppose this is the norm for us working class anyway.
I personally don't care if we trade with Europe or not, what I don't want is being told if we are to trade we must do this and that. I hoped a complete Brexit was going to happen and we would could get on making Britain great again, but no! Commerce, Industry and more of the faceless "Organ Grinders! have more say than us the so called democratic voters of this country, and to top this all we have people who did or did not even bother to vote minority, tell us we should have another vote. No ! NO ! No ! If we back out now the so called democracy in this country will become even more of a joke. I personally will not ever bother to vote again and any respect I had for any of the politicians will be gone.
Some people are trying to get us to fight amongst ourselves so we fail and weaken this country, in order to achieve their own gains.

Last edited by William Blyth; 14-12-18 at 09:08 PM.
William Blyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-18, 02:54 PM   #36
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

The actual response to the petition in full: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232984
Old 14-12-18, 09:24 PM   #37
billy_bunter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

^^Its the word 'majority' in this context that gets my goat. IIRC the vote was 52 to 48. That is not a clear cut Majority it is a split country. 80 to 20 is a clear cut ,ajority.

Civil War anyone

Whichever way you lean in the debate. I think most will find this at least amusing....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...RAxB_A&theater

Last edited by billy_bunter; 14-12-18 at 09:26 PM. Reason: to add a clearer cut majority line
billy_bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-18, 10:07 PM   #38
William Blyth
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

A majority can be one. The point is whether its 500,000 or 1, the principle of voting is that the "majority" wins. I personally voted to leave the Common Market in the 1970.s vote, and the majority voted to remain and that's what we did, so why now we have voted to leave we must have another vote. I would like to remind people we never voted to enter the EEC our government did that. We the people in the 1970's voted only on whether we should remain in the Common Market and that was to remain in the Common Market and NOT the European Economic Community which we have been undemocratically dragged into. The common man is told by the everyone what to do and how we should think in order that the select few can prosper. We have the parish council, the town councils, our politicians and since the 1970's yet another layer of politicians in Europe telling what to do, all I want is to remove the top layer in Europe.
No I'm not from the left or the right but someone absolutely fed up with people telling me what to do and think. I'm only the little man of Britain fighting to be heard.
William Blyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-18, 07:29 PM   #39
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I take it we’re all excited about a ‘no deal’ exit??

What even the ERG labelled as something that would never ever happen, as it was unthinkable, has now become the right wing’s favourite result.

Interesting times indeed!

P.S.

This is a good giggle for a light hearted view of the personalities involved. Episode 1 has a great PM May character

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/...=1000425365797

Last edited by Duffy3074; 18-12-18 at 07:39 PM.
Old 18-12-18, 07:41 PM   #40
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post
I take it we’re all excited about a ‘no deal’ exit??
I'm excited about Christmas ?!………… as for Brexit , I've switched off!
John. is offline   Reply With Quote