Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » 2018 SORN list

Old 13-11-18, 10:56 PM   #21
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vcqdriver View Post
So dilemma. 1) Do I continue to live with it as its only an issue at tickover as at all other times thanks to the turbo there is positive pressure so it doesn't leak past or 2) do I find a way to replace the seals without taking the head off by pressurizing the cylinder or 3) go the whole hog and strip the whole top end and run the risk of requiring a head skim and all the other cost issues associated with this . Option 3 is not really an option this year as no funds or time for this amount of work and likely be out of service until next November and beyond.. Brilliant
Go with option 1 for a while, then decide if the others become a must....
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-18, 11:29 PM   #22
V6Rob
Grown up member

You could do the rope trick you thread rope down the spark plug hole turn the engine buy hand until it squeezes the rope up to stop the valve moving, when done pull the rope out
V6Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-18, 11:35 PM   #23
Davids
4 ring whore!

My coupe is my daily, when the GT6 is done I might get some time to do it. Wants a paint job, so it actually might be the best time winter, but I ain't got no spare time.
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-18, 12:24 PM   #24
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Go with option 1 for a while, then decide if the others become a must....
Seems to be the general consensus at the moment, Have to put it as my only job for winter 2019...

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Rob View Post
You could do the rope trick you thread rope down the spark plug hole turn the engine buy hand until it squeezes the rope up to stop the valve moving, when done pull the rope out
Haven't heard of this before, could work but I'd be worried about leaving bits of rope behind afterwards..

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-18, 12:51 PM   #25
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Seems to be the general consensus at the moment, Have to put it as my only job for winter 2019...

Haven't heard of this before, could work but I'd be worried about leaving bits of rope behind afterwards..
I have done it and it works, get cyl coming up on firing stroke, i used nylon rope oiled, not dripping but lubed, when a suitable length has been fed in spark plug hole gently wind engine over by hand slowly so piston comes up to tdc and in therory compressed rope stops valve dropping. Obviously carefully. I have used compressed air on a tight engine but that was bum clenching, the positive stop of the rope is more reassuring than wind power
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-18, 01:05 PM   #26
vagdream
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids View Post
I have done it and it works, get cyl coming up on firing stroke, i used nylon rope oiled, not dripping but lubed, when a suitable length has been fed in spark plug hole gently wind engine over by hand slowly so piston comes up to tdc and in therory compressed rope stops valve dropping. Obviously carefully. I have used compressed air on a tight engine but that was bum clenching, the positive stop of the rope is more reassuring than wind power
Both the rope and compressed air methods are well tested but as David says the semi- soild rope restraint always seems less of a risk than the compressor cutting out!
vagdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-18, 11:23 PM   #27
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

ok thanks everyone, so i'll get this on my list for this time next year

Old 09-12-18, 08:30 AM   #28
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Update

Well I've been busy and completed a few jobs already seeing as after new year is going to be all house refurb
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TRJEnrtXZEGztUhS9
Some pics of the work. Not sure what everyone uses for displaying pics these days but doesn't seem to be as straightforward as it used to be....
Clock repair involved replacing the 2 100UF capacitors and should last another 12 years now, Cambelt now replaced and a nightmare as the series 2's do not have the removable front end, that and I have an oil cooler to remove and needed to modify my home made crank locking tool... The wastegate flex pipewas also a nightmare and required the grinder to get the nuts off on 3 of them. I have also replaced the dash lamps for LED apart from Alternator.

Last edited by 20vcqdriver; 09-12-18 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-12-18, 09:14 PM   #29
urquattr085
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Well I've been busy and completed a few jobs already seeing as after new year is going to be all house refurb
Some pics of the work. Not sure what everyone uses for displaying pics these days but doesn't seem to be as straightforward as it used to be....
Clock repair involved replacing the 2 100UF capacitors and should last another 12 years now, Cambelt now replaced and a nightmare as the series 2's do not have the removable front end, that and I have an oil cooler to remove and needed to modify my home made crank locking tool... The wastegate flex pipewas also a nightmare and required the grinder to get the nuts off on 3 of them. I have also replaced the dash lamps for LED apart from Alternator.
Nice work Keep at it & post results - what's next on your agenda?
Having done that flex pipe on the WR , I know what a ball-ache it is, done mainly thru the wheel arch, I had to shorten and slim down a spanner

I am already on house refurb duty so car is tucked away for the duration

2010 A3 1.4 tfsi Sport - Sold but still in the family
1984 80 Quattro - Sold many moons ago
1981 Coupe GT - Sold to buy above
urquattr085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-18, 12:42 PM   #30
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Last day to get a few pre season jobs completed as Lynn at work, So exhaust rubbers replaced for Poly versions (stainless big bore exhausts are heavy), Sorted the brake pipe that was an advisory and fortunately just surface rust so sanded and treated whole length and hammerited afterwards. Installed a new earth cable from the battery and now get 14V at the battery for first time in a few years though dash display still only shows 13V but no time to sort that issue this year. Been all over the underside and there was only one tiny area of rust that is now treated. A week before it comes back on the road in March it'll get a complete polish and detailing job. Also adjusted the boost settings on my eboost2 to see if I can get to 27psi without surge By bringing in the boost more gradually...
Added more pics here:

Last edited by 20vcqdriver; 31-12-18 at 01:35 PM.