Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » E0 petrol

Old 13-09-21, 09:43 PM   #1
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default E0 petrol

Yes folks, Ethanol free fuel......

I hear ESSO Synergy Supreme 99 petrol has zero ethanol. It is labelled as E5 at the pump due to a legal requirement, but those of you with concerns over E5 or E10 may find this useful. Currently there is no legal obligation to add ethanol to 'super' grades...

I'm sure it's not cheap but may work out about the same if you are buying fuel stabilizers.

Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 05:00 AM   #2
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I heard the same, apparently if it has 0-5% ethanol then it must be labelled E5.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 01:43 PM   #3
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Unfortunately only in certain areas. Scotland doesn't get it.
mikes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 03:24 PM   #4
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default E10/95ron

I’ve just completed a short trip,

Poole-Bristol 105miles
Bristol-Newcastle 301miles
Newcastle-Glasgow 150miles
Glasgow-Poole 493miles

Averaging between 32-33mpg in the old 100 2.8 quattro, and averaging about 65mph.

I don’t really know what the concerns are for E10, but the engine feels just as off at the end as when I left. All on Tesco greenest… That 100 seems unstoppable.
Old 14-09-21, 03:30 PM   #5
Isimmo
Classic Audi Club Member

So what you’re saying is there’s no discernible difference between a poorly running (“off”) car on E5 and a poorly running car on E10?

Brilliant consumer testing there Mark. Well done.
Old 14-09-21, 04:13 PM   #6
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Yes, I realised once I hit submit, that I didn’t clarify as much.

The car previously never really ran much better on Super/98 compared to 95. If there was any difference, it was not obvious.

So running the car on 95unleaded, for a journey over 2 days of driving has shown the car performing just as well as ever, despite the lowest maintenance input ever given to a vehicle since my uncle got his drivers license some 60plus years ago.
Dalveen pass was a hoot, and the rest mostly motorways.

The car has been running on 95 for most of the 9 ½ years that I’ve had it. The V8 always responded with a better mpg, by about 2mpg average improvement.

What are the consequences of running on E10, for a car that sits little used for long periods? Whatever it is, it survived a 4 day trip, and over a 1000miles.
Old 14-09-21, 04:18 PM   #7
Isimmo
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post

What are the consequences of running on E10, for a car that sits little used for long periods? Whatever it is, it survived a 4 day trip, and over a 1000miles.
I think the alcohol content is hygroscopic, so over time there’s a risk of rusting tanks etc.
Old 15-09-21, 08:01 AM   #8
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

I've used E5 petrol in my C3 for years, often leaving it standing for many weeks at a time, and I have not experienced any fuel related issues with E5.

It's only with the publicity surrounding the risks with E10 that I became aware of some classic owners using fuel stabilizers even with E5.

I believe E10 debuted in the US around 1990 and, allegedly, so far no known issues with ANY vehicle have been recorded, quite something for the litigation capitol of the world.

I don't know if VAG may have planned for E10's introduction but Audi Ingolstadt told me they 'thought' my '87 C3 would be OK with E10 as long as it had not been modified, but like many opinions declaring E10 should be fine I doubt any take into account long periods of non use.

Furthermore, my mum's gardener blames the failure of his trusty chainsaw on using E10, so there seems to be a variety of E10 opinions out there and only time will tell what we need to know. Meanwhile I will avoid E10 as long as I can.

The article below is interesting....

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/m...r-classic-car/

The Dept of Transport says E5 availability will be reviewed every 5 years and that they are 'committed' to ensuring people have access the fuels they need. A positive attitude on the face of it but who knows what will happen in future as petrol demand wanes.

I encourage everyone to just takes a few minutes and email their MP and demand petrol availability for classics at least. It will make it an issue.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-21, 09:47 AM   #9
msh
4 ring whore!

Stop pissing your pants, guys [if someone feels offended, I'm sorry, didn't intend to do that], it will be ok. We have 95 E10 and 98 E5 for a few years - nobody is complaining; knowing that one can pour in the petrol tank of 80's audi [fuel injected, of course] E85 without worries, no wonder. Theoretically there are mentioned storage issues, but I don't care, so lawn mower and brushcutter stays in the winter with fuel that was left in the tank, and they aren't complaining in the spring and runs just fine on petrol bought in previous summer or autumn.

My daily mk2 golf uses tiny amounts of ethanol, but that's just because one cannot add it to the LPG, and apart from that the engine requires 98 RON petrol, which happens to be E5.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote