Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Oil warning light

Old 28-07-16, 07:02 PM   #61
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Hope you get sorted soon mate i guess it will be a big relief to get over that problem.

Put piccies of your speedlines up when done, sounds like they are going to look great
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-16, 08:14 AM   #62
Tun
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossle View Post

The wheel studs I have a slight bit of experience with as my Dad owned a Fastener and Fixings business for 30 years and so what he doesnt know about different fixings isnt worth knowing. He told me that most split wheel fixings are M7 which is a non standard size and that M7 plastic studs are hard to come by and extremely expensive. That does seem to be the case- I only found one place that sells them and they want over £80 for 80 of them- I need 120 of them! Again M7 Stainless bolts are rare and a bit expensive so he told me that 1/4" Imperial works out to be 6.5MM so I've ordered some 1/4" X 3/8 Stainless Cap Heads which were £30 for 120 of them and I am going to bond them in with an adhesive sealant. Leggy if you want the job of bonding 120 of them in then you've got the job!!!
Just for info, this site has come to light before on the subject of refurbishing speedlines. Various plastic rivets available.
http://www.prestigewheel.com/mainRivets.htm
Old 29-07-16, 02:18 PM   #63
leggy

I'm not 100% sure on this Crossle...
but I seem to recall something about either the air filter or the air intake filter causing general driving sluggishness and other possible engine/sensor/gauge issues.
Anyhow, just a thought, and since you've not mentioned it before (I dont think!) but it might be worth getting your mechanic to check them both whilst your Coupe's in the garage getting other stuff done to see if they need replacing or not; albeit the air filter is a piece of piddle to change yourself if you wanna save yourself a few quid.
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-16, 03:07 PM   #64
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Cheers people. Looks like I have the wrong Coolant in as well surprise surprise! The Air Filiter is a good tip too Leggy, hadnt even thought of that one. Its one of those things that people like to mess around with a bit sometimes when really its best left well alone and kept standard. Someone had messed around with that on the old Celica I recently sold and it was affecting the idle and the temps- not worth messing about with. I will check whats in it.

No doubt fellow Northamptoners will see lots of nice cars if out and about on the road this weekend. The Silverstone Classic is on and its getting bigger every year. Be great if we could get a CA display there as there is lots of car clubs. I was booked in to take the MR2 there and have it on the MK1 owners club display but I left it too late to book my vehicle pass and cant get into the infield with the car now. I am going to have a walk round tomorrow. Also on this weekend is the Earls Barton Classic Sunday morning- you should defo get down to that Leggy, its a great meet. Was a White UR Quattro there last time I went. I am gonig to go along for that but will probably be in the MR2 as doubt the Speedlines will be ready by then.

Last edited by Crossle; 29-07-16 at 03:09 PM.
Crossle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-16, 08:35 AM   #65
leggy

Hey Crossle...
sorry, I'm a tad confused here cuz other than you saying that the water looks fresh and that the coolant is red, well I cant see any mention of you having had the coolant flushed/changed, only that it's booked in to be done, so what do you mean by "Looks like I have the wrong Coolant in as well surprise surprise!" - ?

Not sure why I thought of the air filter or air intake filters tbh, as you said, it's not something that you generally think to look at or change, and in all fairness, well it was something like 15yrs rather than 15k miles before my boy's air filter was changed, and even then my mechanic said that it didnt really need doing, but in having had it done, well at least it's something that 'I' wont have to think about it for another 15yrs!

Think I'll give the car shows a miss thanks buddy, like I said before, wanna finish getting my boy's engine bay cleaned up (AITP8 is only 2 weeks away!), that said, the offer to bring yours over still stands. Plus, if the last few days are anything to go by, well we had 5 Tiger Moths flying over yesterday doing various formations on route to Shuttleworth, planes from Sywell practising aerobatics/free-fall stunts, and even a few RAF Chinooks flew past too, and all for free, I mean, what more could you ask for eh?

Last edited by leggy; 30-07-16 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-08-16, 01:54 PM   #66
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Sorry Leggy, I've only just seen that message from you above.

Bit of help needed again- sorry! Mechanic is just about ready to give the car a good kick I think, flushed the Coolant through, changed the oil, changed the oil sender, changed the oil switch, fired the car up to bleed the coolant. The Oil pressure gauge is just going through the roof, literally off the scale and the oil light is flashing up. We now have the opposite problem where the pressure is not going down! Mechanic thought maybe he had wired it wrong so has swapped wires round but then the gauge doesnt work at all. Any ideas?
Old 02-08-16, 02:17 PM   #67
leggy

Have another look at this diagram Crossle...

http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+cou.../9/919-919065/

Note items 1 & 2, plus their respective notes in the listing - in other words, there are two pressure switches, has your mechanic changed both? or just one of them?
As I recall, the sender, item 16, that you needed out of the two listed was the black one - if replacement is neutral, well that could be your problem.

Additionally, I did read something recently on here about a sender that a member had fitted to their model, not a coupe and not the oil sender, and well, the replacement sender didnt work intially but then cut in, it was suspected that lubricants within the engine hadnt fully settled, or something like that, so with a bit of luck, and providing all replacement parts are present and correct, hopefully that's what could be causing your latest issue.

Last edited by leggy; 02-08-16 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-08-16, 02:46 PM   #68
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossle View Post
...Mechanic is just about ready to give the car a good kick I think...
BTW Crossle, who is this mechanic anyway?...
just so I can give him a piece of the leggy treatment if/when he does ever kick your car, as in my own boot up his jacksy to see how he likes it!
Old 02-08-16, 03:52 PM   #69
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Leggy you are a genius! Spot on by the sounds of things- only changed one pressure switch which is may fault as I supplied the parts and didnt know there was two of them. He said oil is leaking out of the switch we havent got (typically) which is the one at the bottom of the block and that when he turned it the oil light did go off. Also said there is oil inside the electrical half of the switch which he says is typically the problem with thme- they break down over the years and the oil burns through to the sensor eventually.

So I now have a new top oil switch, a new sender, fresh oil, fresh coolant but an oil light that now isnt going out at all and the pressure gauge isnt working at all at the moment! I've just ordered the other oil switch and fingers crossed thats the end of it.
Old 04-08-16, 01:22 PM   #70
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Not having alot of luck with this oil problem! I've had a whole days worth of mechanics bills and alot of messing around only to find that (my fault) I have sourced the wrong parts.

The Oil Pressure Switch the parts diagram shows two switches but for some reason my engine only has one and theo ne it has is a high pressure (3 bar) switch. I had bought a 1.8 Bar. This has now been sorted out and I have the right switch on the car.

The Oil Pressure sender the parts diagram lists two options on pressure again ( I wonder if one is for the 10V) and again I supplied the mechanic with the low pressure one (1.8bar) and we need the 3 bar. I cant find the 3 bar one, no one seem to have one. Ive had to put the old one back on so am annoyingly no further forward on this.

The switch I mentioned in an earlier post that is leaking is the Oil Temperature sender which obviously needs replacing but again I cant find the part. Two parts I need are as follows-

359 919 561- OIL PRESSURE SENDER

035 919 521 B- OIL TEMP SENDER

As is often the case a 'bargain buy' is now not so much of a bargain buy and starting to stand me in at a fair bit of money!