Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » I am kind of stuck ?

Old 21-05-20, 08:35 AM   #1
xxErix
Grown up member

Default I am kind of stuck ?

Hi All, need some advice

So, I bought a Coupe B3, 2.3Ng 10V, the cars visual (outside) Interior aswell, is bad condition. BUT I have found most parts, and have a plan for what needs doing! (Will be videos up at some point, as I am going through doing stuff)

Mechanical engine side of this things is where my knowledge is very basic and I have a lot to learn. But I have friends who can help so its not too bad.

So my problem is, I saved up to buy this car, and I want to restore it, and make it my own, as I am massive fan of classic Audi and 5cyl combo. SO to do anything it means, saving up first and then doing stuff.
Having a FWD and not a quattro, is something I am okay with.
Eventually I do want more power out of 2.3NG as I think its just needs a bit more to be more enjoyable, I am not talking like massive gains, as I want to use car as a daily, but something in between 150-170bhp range.
After looking at some older posts (quite hard to find any info on topic though), I am still a bit on "quite not sure its worth it" side, as looking around I cannot seem to find much on these engines in general and probably my lack of knowledge, is not helping either.

So, can someone shed some light on this? What is it I need doing? suggestions of where I could get the parts aswell? Or just any suggestion would be appreciated.
xxErix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-20, 08:46 AM   #2
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

K&N Air filter
Iridium spark plugs
Tune it

BackintheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-20, 11:27 AM   #3
xxErix
Grown up member

is there any companies that does the tuning?
Old 21-05-20, 11:45 AM   #4
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Have you seen this thread?.... http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=36332

A friend of mine has a 2.3NG and it's an absolute peach to drive, has low down torque so ideal as use as a daily runner...….it does however have a full stainless exhaust fitted which sounds great, I think it is here that you'll get the greatest enjoyment in listening to the 10v soundtrack!!

Is your car roadworthy at the moment?

John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-20, 12:07 PM   #5
xxErix
Grown up member

I will check that out, I am not insured at the moment, as I its taken some time to sort interior out, and I am waiting on H&R coil overs, plus need to refurbish the RIAL bullet rims i bought, should get all that done over next month or two and will start driving it then.
Old 21-05-20, 12:10 PM   #6
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Problem is getting anything out of a 2.3 will cost lots of money. Even getting 150hp would be a 15% power hike.

To put in perspective, my 90 2.6 used to be a 2.2. Someone else spent over £4k getting the engine modified roughly 15 years ago. Back then bits were a lot easier to get hold of and cheaper.
Old 21-05-20, 02:48 PM   #7
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Accept that it will never win any races, make it as cosmetically / mechanically Perfect as you can. Enjoy it for what it is.

There aren’t that many left, they can’t and shouldn’t all be turned into fire breathing monsters, there need to be a few fairly standard ones left to compare to!! Thats my 2p anyway
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-20, 04:07 PM   #8
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Agree with Mellis46.

If after reading that you're still determined, keep it standard but improve how it left the factory is the other way. Factory heads are a compromise
between cost and low manufacturing costs. This leaves plenty of scope for improvement. A bit of port to cylinder head matching and flowing will
give you horse power and torque gains. Doing this you won't ruin fuel consumption, but will improve it as the engine will be more efficient.

Fit new plug leads, iridium plugs use the best oil like Fuch Titan pro S or Millers Nanodrive NT+ and just enjoy.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-20, 04:45 PM   #9
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...=Reality+check

This might be useful
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 03:06 PM   #10
xxErix
Grown up member

So after having a read, I can see what people, say, talking about just getting more power aspect, I actually gave it a quick drive around the block today, forgot how good it actually pulls, so I reckon, for a daily use, a new filter, better plugs, and will see if anyone can tune it, and I will be happy, the sound. and looks, is just awesome, and the feel I get when driving one is something I dont get in my dialy MK6 Golf Tsi. So I will deffo be sorting it out, as there is not many left, and value is in my opinion going even on FWD 10v.

Here is a quick video of how it sounds, also if anyone can tell me, as I am a bit worried about that ticking sound? also I am in need of an alternator, as I bought new voltage regulator, and its still not seem to be charging... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVNwXwh35pM
Will post some pictures now as well, of exterior problematic areas.