Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » I am kind of stuck ?

Old 22-05-20, 03:20 PM   #11
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxErix View Post
So after having a read, I can see what people, say, talking about just getting more power aspect, I actually gave it a quick drive around the block today, forgot how good it actually pulls, so I reckon, for a daily use, a new filter, better plugs, and will see if anyone can tune it, and I will be happy, the sound. and looks, is just awesome, and the feel I get when driving one is something I dont get in my dialy MK6 Golf Tsi. So I will deffo be sorting it out, as there is not many left, and value is in my opinion going even on FWD 10v.

Here is a quick video of how it sounds, also if anyone can tell me, as I am a bit worried about that ticking sound? also I am in need of an alternator, as I bought new voltage regulator, and its still not seem to be charging... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVNwXwh35pM
Will post some pictures now as well, of exterior problematic areas.

I used to own the slightly earlier WN 1.9 5 pot and that was bucket and shim tappets, and i'm sure yours is hydraulic tappets,
to me that sounds like your tappets are empty of oil (hydraulic). How long has it sat and how long have you actually run it?
Normally around 10 - 15 minutes of gentle driving fills the tappets if you've already tried to do this.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 03:31 PM   #12
xxErix
Grown up member

Some pictures of body and some problematic areas, I am thinking to do a re-spray at very early next year been already quoted £1300, but as u can see, on the windshield corners, it has started to rust a bit, is that really problematic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0617.jpg (382.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0621.jpg (261.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0624.jpg (315.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0626.jpg (354.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0618-1.jpg (93.8 KB, 17 views)
xxErix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 03:33 PM   #13
xxErix
Grown up member

Car has been sat for a at least 3 month now, today I had like 2min drive, and started it, just for a video.
Old 22-05-20, 03:52 PM   #14
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Car has been sat for a at least 3 month now, today I had like 2min drive, and started it, just for a video.
Drive it longer it should sort it out.
Old 22-05-20, 03:59 PM   #15
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Some pictures of body and some problematic areas, I am thinking to do a re-spray at very early next year been already quoted £1300, but as u can see, on the windshield corners, it has started to rust a bit, is that really problematic?
I'm hoping a certain body man will chip in here, ( ) but my feeling is £1300 won't get you much of a job at all! I've painted cars
albeit 25 plus years ago now and it's all in the prep, and quality products add up. Windscreens got to come out as that rust will
be right under there and you'll not know the extent of the damage until screen is out.
Old 22-05-20, 06:59 PM   #16
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
Windscreens got to come out as that rust will be right under there and you'll not know the extent of the damage until screen is out.
I'll second that. I had exactly the same problem with my 1990 B3 90 20v that I have driven since it was 4 years old. When it was my company car, it had three screens fitted and the last one was done by a chimp who damaged the paintwork at the top of the aperture causing corrosion identical to yours. To their credit, Autoglass replaced the screen under warranty as it had leaked and "went halves" with the corrosion repair and I started a thread in 2017 on the topic with photos during the repair process. Tinypic have now deleted them unfortunately but I can tell you the corrosion extended from the top centre of the aperture to the top of the right A pillar and to halfway down the left A pillar.Big mess!
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 07:20 PM   #17
xxErix
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwallownAmazon View Post
I'll second that. I had exactly the same problem with my 1990 B3 90 20v that I have driven since it was 4 years old. When it was my company car, it had three screens fitted and the last one was done by a chimp who damaged the paintwork at the top of the aperture causing corrosion identical to yours. To their credit, Autoglass replaced the screen under warranty as it had leaked and "went halves" with the corrosion repair and I started a thread in 2017 on the topic with photos during the repair process. Tinypic have now deleted them unfortunately but I can tell you the corrosion extended from the top centre of the aperture to the top of the right A pillar and to halfway down the left A pillar.Big mess!
Yeah I kind of figured that would have to happen, if I take the windscreen out, can the same one be fitted back in? I cant remember when, but someone said, they are glued in or something, and the are most likely to break when u take them out!
Old 22-05-20, 07:30 PM   #18
xxErix
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackintheFold View Post
K&N Air filter
Iridium spark plugs
Tune it

you know anyone that does tuning?
Old 22-05-20, 07:53 PM   #19
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Yeah I kind of figured that would have to happen, if I take the windscreen out, can the same one be fitted back in? I cant remember when, but someone said, they are glued in or something, and the are most likely to break when u take them out!
Bonded in, will be cut out with a cheese wire, it will get buggered up.
My brother did mine a few years back, he has been doing them all his time, he said they were a f pig when new and even more of a f pig now old.

His words, " I'm not doing any other fu&kers you might know with a coupe so don't ask "
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 08:12 PM   #20
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids View Post
It will get buggered up.
YEP! Mine shattered into a million pieces when the cheese-wire machine was attached.
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote