Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Brexit stuff.

Old 10-10-18, 07:58 AM   #21
moonwatcher
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Blight View Post
Thank you. At the end of the day it was a democratic vote and everyone that wanted to vote had the chance. If folk didn't vote (much like the many that don't vote in a general election chose to do) then they have no right to say anything about the final results.

Brexiteers won and Remainers lost. That's democracy for you. Wouldn't happen in Russia or North Korea.
If I remember correctly there were 13 million people that didn't vote, if the remainers don't like it they could blame the non voters.
I have no problems with the concept of a peoples vote or an MPs vote but the vote has to be
Out with the governments negotiated deal or
Out with no deal

We voted out and that's the end of it.
Old 10-10-18, 08:00 AM   #22
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I agree with a lot of that with the exception of us being able to influence things, the EU parliament appeared to be very remote and unresponsive, I’m also very uncomfortable with the overwhelming push towards a United States of Europe.
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 08:07 AM   #23
moonwatcher
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post

One last thing, the EU referendum was advisory, not compulsory.
The then PM David Cameron stated that we would be offered a referendum AND the government would carry out the peoples choice.
It's not a matter of advisory or compulsory.
It's simply a matter of honouring what you promised!
What's wrong with that?
Old 10-10-18, 01:41 PM   #24
moonwatcher
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Cant really agree with the last two sentences.

At no time prior to the vote was it ever stated the outcome was to be taken as advisory.
If it had been the case then thered have been no point in the whole exercise as those who still want us to be hogtied to that awful unaccountable body would have simply been able to ignore the will of the people.600 politicians saying no! to all those who want out of it.
You call that democracy? I call it tyranny.
Its also a method for those who want the status quo to remain to try to delegitimise the result simply because they didnt get what they wanted despite accepting the terms of the voting procedure and its outcome by participating in it knowing they could lose but being so sure of the slanted media support they thought theyd gamed it yet again.

As for what we're doing, we're enacting the wishes of the people who bothered to democratically vote on the direction they wanted the country to go in.
Its that simple.

If the vote had gone the other way should we have had another vote or considered it only "advisory"?
Be honest.
Spot on
Old 10-10-18, 05:02 PM   #25
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
In my personal opinion
Great post full of your own thoughts rather than spreading some fake media nonsense.

Steev is correct, it was advisory.

The European Union Referendum Act 2015 (c. 36) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that made a legal provision for a non-binding referendum to be held in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Gibraltar, on whether it should remain a member state of the European Union or leave it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...endum_Act_2015

But porcuophile cameron said in the House of Commons on 22 Feb 2016:

the referendum would be “a straight democratic decision… Having a second renegotiation followed by a second referendum is not on the ballot paper.” He went on to say that “If the British people vote to leave, there is only one way to bring that about, namely to trigger article 50 of the treaties and begin the process of exit, and the British people would rightly expect that to start straight away.”

which lead people to believe it is binding, but he resigned.... leaving us with the dancing queen, whose mantra brexit means brexit cemented the result.

There will not be another leave referendum, so why do people worry that there will?. Is there some divide and conquer, and smoke and mirrors happening?
Old 12-10-18, 07:39 PM   #26
maxustaxus
Grown up member

Ten years ago I went about my local boot sales like you do, and they had remained much as they had been these last 30 years. Boot sales are the places where those for whom money matters go. And the population attending ten years ago was much as you would find in any post war new town. Some black, some Asian, some others, but mostly white and British.

But a dramatic shift happened some time between 10 years ago and now. A sudden increase in people from Europe could be found in these places....actually the new were from the then poorer European countries. I hesitate to use words like flooded to describe this, , but let us say, an influx of cheaper labour came, who competed for houses, jobs, and school services. Why not...if I was a fit Romanian male who could earn 4 times my salary at home, would I not come here, and think nothing of the "lazy" locals.

But what of our own? What of those born here who might expect their nation state to protect their interests? What of the generation of working class young born and bred in this country now competing with the cheapest workers Romania (et al.) has to offer? Do we ask our youngsters to just man up? To put of their hopes of a house, a mortage, and a good living off for another 30 years because Tony Blair decided Romanians (et al.,) are entitled to work here and can live cheaper and work for less? Would my generation of baby boomers have agreed to that had they been asked when young?

And what of our distinct culture...? Does it not matter that our identity as a nation is lost in a sea of assimilation and Guardianista relativism?

No wonder the majority voted for Brexit despite a tirade of propaganda to the contrary. Look, cheap labour from Europe works in the interests of capital. It advances the interests of those that have money to spend on labour....cheap labour. It does not advantage the interests of the poor of this country. And these people have a right to expect that the nation state will work towards their interests. No wonder people voted for Brexit despite the BBC!

To reverse this situation, those with capital/wealth or unaffected by labour competition need to begin to listen to those who have only their labour to sell. For too long the reality of life on the breadline has been ignored by the comfortable. Those for whom Europe means little more than the cheap erection of another garden feature or the easy purchase of goods...

Until then those with wealth have a better understanding of all this, or they remove the vote from the poor, or they make the BBC more effective as a tool for state propaganda, please expect those ADVERSLEY affected by the international movement of labour to vote as they have.

I voted Brexit because I think those with only their labour to sell in this country should be given priority over those from other nations. I know this is tribal, I know it is ethnocentric, and it is also self interested. But it is no less than what the wealthy do when they send their kids to Eton. It is about looking after your own. In this instance the poor from our nation.
maxustaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 01:59 PM   #27
bigchewie
Grown up member

Two things that bug me about the UK leaving the EU, the word Brexit, does my dinger,

and the country i live in voted to remain but like general elections of late we get the opposite of what we vote for but this is a whole other debate.

I think what gets most folk is the sheer lack of a plan for leaving, and the sheer lets tell the people what they want to hear (lies) that were thrown around during the build up to the referendum. IMO when (if?!?!) we leave i can see things getting bad before they get good, a lot will depend on the trade deals that there has been a sheer inability to sort so far
bigchewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 03:31 PM   #28
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchewie View Post
I think what gets most folk is the sheer lack of a plan for leaving......
If it were done before the vote?...….I think the result would've been different.

I think many English view the EU like what many Scots view London rule?...….. 4v6?

What if the difference for Scotland was living with a bullying big brother or staying with a concerned cousin?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-18, 04:03 PM   #29
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I’ve seen this a few times now. Thought you might appreciate it!

LEAVER: I want an omelette.

REMAINER: Right. It’s just we haven’t got any eggs.

LEAVER: Yes, we have. There they are. [HE POINTS AT A CAKE]

REMAINER: They’re in the cake.

LEAVER: Yes, get them out of the cake, please.

REMAINER: But we voted in 1974 to put them into a cake.

LEAVER: Yes, but that cake has got icing on it. Nobody said there was going to be icing on it.

REMAINER: Icing is good.

LEAVER: And there are raisins in it. I don’t like raisins. Nobody mentioned raisins. I demand another vote.

DAVID CAMERON ENTERS.

DAVID CAMERON: OK.

DAVID CAMERON SCARPERS.

LEAVER: Right, where’s my omelette?

REMAINER: I told you, the eggs are in the cake.

LEAVER: Well, get them out.

EU: It’s our cake.

JEREMY CORBYN: Yes, get them out now.

REMAINER: I have absolutely no idea how to get them out. Don’t you know how to get them out?

LEAVER: Yes! You just get them out and then you make an omelette.

REMAINER: But how?! Didn’t you give this any thought?

LEAVER: Saboteur! You’re talking eggs down. We could make omelettes before the eggs went into the cake, so there’s no reason why we can’t make them now.

THERESA MAY: It’s OK, I can do it.

REMAINER: How?

THERESA MAY: There was a vote to remove the eggs from the cake, and so the eggs will be removed from the cake.

REMAINER: Yeah, but…

LEAVER: Hang on, if we take the eggs out of the cake, does that mean we don’t have any cake? I didn’t say I didn’t want the cake, just the bits I don’t like.

REMAINER: But you can’t take the eggs out of the cake and then still have a cake.

LEAVER: You can. I saw the latest Bake Off and you can definitely make cakes without eggs in them. It’s just that they’re horrible.

REMAINER: Fine. Take the eggs out. See what happens.

LEAVER: It’s not my responsibility to take the eggs out. Get on with it.

REMAINER: Why should I have to come up with some long-winded incredibly difficult chemical process to extract eggs that have bonded at the molecular level to the cake, while somehow still having the cake?

LEAVER: You lost, get over it.

THERESA MAY: By the way, I’ve started the clock on this.

REMAINER: So I assume you have a plan?

THERESA MAY: Actually, back in a bit. Just having another election.

REMAINER: Jeremy, are you going to sort this out?

JEREMY CORBYN: Yes. No. Maybe.

LEAVER: Where’s my omelette? I voted for an omelette.

REMAINER: This is ridiculous. This is never going to work. We should have another vote, or at least stop what we’re doing until we know how to get the eggs out of the cake while keeping the bits of the cake that we all like.

LEAVER/MAY/CORBYN: WE HAD A VOTE. STOP SABOTAGING THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE. EGGSIT MEANS EGGSIT.

REMAINER: Fine, I’m moving to France. The cakes are nicer there.

LEAVER: You can’t. We’ve taken your freedom of movement.
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-18, 04:27 PM   #30
Davids
4 ring whore!

As everyone knows exactly what is going to happen for certain, on the nose, no doubts, yep thats it, okly dokly, can they put next weeks winning lottery numbers up please
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote