Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Rear ARB on 86 90 quattro

Old 14-09-13, 08:49 PM   #11
Andy10v
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

How did the previous owner mount an S2 bar then?

Do you have ARB mounts on the subframe?

Sold-1992 3B S2 coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, forged rods, rear torsen....
Sold-1993 ABY coupe
Andy10v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-13, 08:50 PM   #12
lefthooker
Classic Audi Club Member

So did 4000CS quattros have rear ARB's fitted as standard for the American market?
lefthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-13, 08:55 PM   #13
Laaf
Grown up member

There is a pic in his old project thread over on S2forum. Looks like a complete custom jobbie using some hydraulic pipe clamps to hold it in the subframe and droplinks unknown.

As far as I remember it was a S2 ARB but I'm not 100% sure on that. Either way he left it off for some reason.
Laaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-13, 09:36 PM   #14
BIGGYIN
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

(Dave)20vcqdriver,has a rear ARB on his cq.He modified his rear sub frame.

When I get around to it?I'll be doing the same,to mine.

Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown
BIGGYIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-13, 10:08 PM   #15
SteveT63
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laaf View Post
There is a pic in his old project thread over on S2forum. Looks like a complete custom jobbie using some hydraulic pipe clamps to hold it in the subframe and droplinks unknown.

As far as I remember it was a S2 ARB but I'm not 100% sure on that. Either way he left it off for some reason.

Looks a good set up, but maybe he took it off because it was too stiff?
The ARB is just there to reduce body roll, a quicker and easily adjustable option on racecars without having to keeping changing spring rates.
If its set up correctly, it reduces indersteer, so better turn in, but If its too stiff, rear grip will be lost and its tail out Charlie every time you come out of a corner, which can fun, but also a bit of a mind focussing event!!

It would definitely be worth refitting so you can give it a try and see how you get on.

T85 1985 90quattro I5 20vT
T81 1983 80 Sport Red
T81 1983 80 Sport Silver
SteveT63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-13, 11:31 PM   #16
msh
4 ring whore!

Options? Get yourself a rear suspension from a Typ8A A80q/A90q [model year 1990 or later B3] or similarly new B3 CQ or B4 CQ which has rear anti rollbar and fit it. I'm looking for diameters of "civil" rear anti rollbar and S2 anti rollbar, as I guess that the difference should be, let's say, one milimeter, as ETKA shows that identical bushes are used in both cases, in any case, when I'll think about rear suspension upgrade of my Typ89q, I will think about rear S2 ARB, as it's not very expensive and cheaper than non-S2 one. A member of this forum also showed me pic of thicker aftermarket rear ARB he has retroffited together on his B2 A90q. For this upgrade you will either change rear driveshafts or fit your old hubs to new struts.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-13, 11:35 PM   #17
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laaf View Post
It's got a 20VT running in the 440 hp area already :P Rear brakes are standard but in front there's redrilled 280mm A4 front discs with Girling G60 calipers and yellowstuff pads. Works quite well actually, although the pedal feel is somewhat frightening if not used to it. Quite mushy feel but the brakes do bite really well. Guess I need to get braided lines for the rears too or it's down at the master cylinder being too small to handle the G60s well.
And suspension wise it's pretty much solid down underneath with powerflex bushes, Bilstein B6 and unknown lowering springs fitted by the previous owner. Thought about looking into coilover kit from Bambridge though.
Have you really done the opposite what others are doing by redrilling A4 discs to 4x108 instead of going for 5x112 hubs? What else you did to fit those discs with G60's - AFAIK A4 discs are 288 mm unlike G60 276 mm?
Old 15-09-13, 07:51 AM   #18
Laaf
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
Have you really done the opposite what others are doing by redrilling A4 discs to 4x108 instead of going for 5x112 hubs? What else you did to fit those discs with G60's - AFAIK A4 discs are 288 mm unlike G60 276 mm?
It's the previous owner who fitted the brakes. The calipers uses adapters to fit. And redrilling cheap A4 288 mm discs come much cheaper than renewing 3 sets of rims and tires.
Laaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-13, 10:19 AM   #19
Andy10v
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

If the mounts for the droplinks are still on the struts you could make something the same again. Or as MSH says swap to a setup with an ARB.

I am running an S2 bar on the front and back, seems to work well, though it will lift the inside rear wheel on a very steep uphill hairpin bend.

You can also use the older front arb that mounts to the wishbones.

Couple of threads on S2 forum concerning front arbs on the rear (with a rarb setup already installed.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=arb

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=arb

There is a few different fr arbs you can mount on the rear, S2 is 26mm iirc, so you can fine tune.

Whitline also do an adjustable one.

Sold-1992 3B S2 coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, forged rods, rear torsen....
Sold-1993 ABY coupe
Andy10v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-13, 11:31 AM   #20
msh
4 ring whore!

26 mm is the diameter of front ARB of V6 and S2. Presuming the rear subframe is about the same size as front, I don't see any way to fit front ARB in rear, as the front ARB is made to fit links fitted on the opposite side of struts. That aftermarket rear ARB one member showed me was 18 mm, I presume stock ones will be one or two milimetres thinner.

Actually I've read in the internet interesting way to get rear anti rollbar, which involves fitting Typ85/Typ89 front wishbones and ARB in the back + making some mounts on subframe for that ARB. That would be 22 mm ARB if taken from FWD car or 26 mm if taken from quattro. That would be a hell of a ARB