Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Coupe quattro uprated brake recommendations

Old 18-10-16, 03:17 PM   #1
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Coupe quattro uprated brake recommendations

Had good fun Saturday although only doing the parade laps caused me concern as after following not far behind the red R8 and able to do plenty of heavy braking before corners I realised despite Black diamond grooved 280mm discs and pads up front and 256mm at the rear, (both with standard calipers) I was starting to get brake fade. I am therefore looking for anyone who may of further uprated the braking on these series 2's bearing in mind I am sticking with the 15" Ronals for originality.
Have found this site but had no experience of them. All feedback appreciated.

http://www.bigbrakes4u.co.uk/k-sport...prod_2055.html

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-16, 03:37 PM   #2
quattromnc
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vcqdriver View Post
Had good fun Saturday although only doing the parade laps caused me concern as after following not far behind the red R8 and able to do plenty of heavy braking before corners I realised despite Black diamond grooved 280mm discs and pads up front and 256mm at the rear, (both with standard calipers) I was starting to get brake fade. I am therefore looking for anyone who may of further uprated the braking on these series 2's bearing in mind I am sticking with the 15" Ronals for originality.
Have found this site but had no experience of them. All feedback appreciated.

http://www.bigbrakes4u.co.uk/k-sport...prod_2055.html
Hey,

I've just put Brembo OE discs (euro car parts stock them) and EBC yellow Stuff pads on our 2.0 B4 Coupe, it has G54 single pot calipers with 280mm disc, and I am yet to fade these. You may point out an engine difference here but trust me if I'm not fading these brakes you'll struggle. There are a few here that may vouch for this
quattromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-16, 04:10 PM   #3
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

I once ran Black Diamond 280mm (standard size) grooved with red stuff on the Ur giving it a bit of effort on Knockhill, after previously getting fade with standard discs and pads on G54 calipers.
It took quite a while to start suffering fade with the BD discs.

With G60 calipers, and standard discs but Green pads, the overall feel was much better. 276mm x25mm disc. No noticeable fade after several decent runs.

Now on Brembos (Boxter), with 288mm x 25mm A100 discs, it's pretty good, but hasn't been tried hard. Currently using standard Pagid discs and pads after having a bad set of Black Diamonds!

Apikol do/did a brake calliper bracket in machined cast iron, but my calipers are mounted on Ally brackets from Bambridge.

I think, but I'm not certain, that there are discs of the right size for 4 stud hubs.
On the rear, if you can find a suitable disc, the 'vented' calliper & bracket of the V8/S6/20vUR may fit, but would it give you much extra without a bias pedal box?
Old 18-10-16, 04:25 PM   #4
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Probably the easiest way to improve braking is to simply move the calipers outwards via the use of a suitably made bracket, TSR used to supply a kit to do this on the golfs which allowed 285mm BD discs up front on a 15mm wheel,
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-16, 06:49 PM   #5
Andy10v
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

First upgrade would be a set of track orientated pads (Black Diamond performance pads are a "fast road" pad iirc), DS3000, Carbone Lorraine RC6, Carbotech XP10 (or 12 due to weight), Pagid RS29, EBC yellow. The next thing is normally boiling the fluid so you may then need more heat capacity or cooling.

Do the K sports have dust seals? You want dust seals on a road car.

I would be tempted to get a set of Porsche Brembo calipers like the UR guys do as they are designed for road use if you want to change the calipers. Track calipers if its just for track use.

RS2 has brake cooling scoops on the wishbone, you could also fit ducted backing plates.

Most road car setups will not last long under hard track use, tyres will overheat quickly as well if you can stay out longer, its an expensive slippery slope!

Sold-1992 3B S2 coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, forged rods, rear torsen....
Sold-1993 ABY coupe
Andy10v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-16, 10:47 AM   #6
Hoyle
80q addict
Classic Audi Club Member

I've always used ferodo ds2500 pads, ds3k might be better for track use! But also has anyone mentioned brake fluid?

I've used Motul RBF600 for years, brilliant stuff. As well as that, some diy brake ducting will make a noticable difference!

My 80 Quattro thread
Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-16, 07:19 PM   #7
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks everyone,
Presently use the Black Diamond Fast road predator pads all round with the matching 6 groove discs (280 front, 256 rear). Also have a Saab Electric Vac pump to supplement the original Vac unit. Also use fully snythetic DOT 5.1fluid and goodridge braided hoses.

Old 16-11-16, 07:22 PM   #8
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Have been trying to locate a multi pot caliper that will fit behind the Ronal 15" wheel, but so far no luck...
All help appreciated

Old 16-11-16, 10:46 PM   #9
slammedAudi
Grown up member

AP Monte Carlo 4 x 41.5mm pistons at each corner, 4 x 280mm EBC drilled / grooved disks, and Ferrodo DS-UNO pads will do the trick..... And fit under the 15" wheel, with spacers
slammedAudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-16, 01:05 PM   #10
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedAudi View Post
AP Monte Carlo 4 x 41.5mm pistons at each corner, 4 x 280mm EBC drilled / grooved disks, and Ferrodo DS-UNO pads will do the trick..... And fit under the 15" wheel, with spacers
Any pics and more info on costs, purchasing etc for these