Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Wheels & Tyres » Wheel Refurb: Painting v Powder Coating

Old 18-08-10, 08:18 PM   #11
dave80
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I would have them painted that's my choice i did refurbish my own wheels on my previous car using rattle cans primer vw diamond silver and lots of laquer.
my major concern with powder coating if you scuff or chip on a kerb stone chip ect you will have to recoat whole wheel as touching up is not realy possible.
And powder colours do vary between batches so you could end up having to recoat all 4.

pic of my wheel refurb using spray cans
dave80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-10, 08:25 PM   #12
rich.r

for what its worth my tuppence worth

if i was just going to show a car and trailer it around powder coat the wheels

if its going to be driven maybe 3000 miles plus i would paint them as you can allways redo a wheel if scuffed etc

rich
rich.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-10, 08:31 PM   #13
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

My thought on it, being as you are having the car 'restored' to factory spec, I'd have them painted as per factory spec.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-10, 09:42 PM   #14
g40chris
Grown up member

deffo powder coating is better. i had a set of lightweight revo wheels before and they were powder coated but i wanted to shot blast the powder coating off and it wouldnt even touch the coating
g40chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-10, 11:25 PM   #15
marcz
Grown up member

Send a message via Skype™ to marcz

That was my experience Chris (and Ian)... powder coated rims from my rally cars were pretty rugged and they didn't change colour with the heat. When I have painted rims, they have been "gravel rashed" badly and the fronts in particular went from white to beige in one event.

And yes, the rims on my 200T (wreck) are definitely not a bright gold, rather a much more subdued "hint" of gold.
marcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-10, 06:51 AM   #16
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcz View Post
That was my experience Chris (and Ian)... powder coated rims from my rally cars were pretty rugged and they didn't change colour with the heat. When I have painted rims, they have been "gravel rashed" badly and the fronts in particular went from white to beige in one event.

And yes, the rims on my 200T (wreck) are definitely not a bright gold, rather a much more subdued "hint" of gold.
Yep, totally agree... Paid a professional firm to paint the Alloys on the RallyRep, took it to the Isle of Man and the fronts went Sepia coloured. Somerley Park Gravel on the Sunseeker in February just added that nice Gravel 'patina' to the discolouration... I so wish I'd paid that little extra and powdercoated them.
Old 19-08-10, 07:40 AM   #17
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

The only problem I found with many of the powder coaters was that they didn't seem interested in trying to match the silver to that of the original colour. Basically they offered Bright, Dull, or somewhere in between.

The hint of gold suggests good old Zermatt Silver. Which can vary dramatically too.
Paint code LY7Y or L7Y or Y7Y. Something along those lines?
Old 19-08-10, 07:43 AM   #18
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hanman View Post
The only problem I found with many of the powder coaters was that they didn't seem interested in trying to match the silver to that of the original colour. Basically they offered Bright, Dull, or somewhere in between.

The hint of gold suggests good old Zermatt Silver. Which can vary dramatically too.
Paint code LY7Y or L7Y or Y7Y. Something along those lines?
the gold is a lot more gold than zermatt silver.

I'll post up pics later of how one should look as I have one unused one in the stash, and I'll try and compare it to other things which are silver or gold if I can.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-10, 07:44 AM   #19
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

the wheels on the white mb were powder coated in the correct shade, the wheels on the blue one are painted and tbh they are more time consumning to look after. the price difference is negligible , the guys that do them also did all the powdercoating on the rs
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-10, 07:48 AM   #20
RetroAuto
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Right then, all we have to do now is find a amiable powder coater/company who is willing and capable of mixing powders to produce the Champagne colour of the factory paint.

Start your list here:-
RetroAuto is offline   Reply With Quote