Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » In-Car entertainment » A 80 rear speaker

Old 25-01-16, 09:33 PM   #1
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default A 80 rear speaker

Can anyone elaborate/explain why this speaker has such a complex plug and also there do not appear to be any wires/plug in the rear of my cabrio for the plugging into this speaker.

Footnote: this new Cabrio has been trashed , hi-fi wise. Someone has obviously fitted and then removed a complex hi-fi system. I'm just trying to get it back to original but with limited success so far. However, you would think the original plugs for the rear speakers would have been left unmmolested; the plug for the sub woofer is there and plugged in , but doesn't work.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Flying Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-16, 09:59 PM   #2
shaun5
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

The speakers on my S6 have got the same arrangement, one of the connectors is a link wire, can't help other than that.
Ive got a complete radio wiring loom from a cabriolet you can have and a sub speaker (between the rear seats)
shaun5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-16, 10:13 PM   #3
jamesfuller
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

If i had to guess, maybe it has some sort of crossover on the back of the speaker, so one of these is a tweeter or sub output
jamesfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-16, 10:20 PM   #4
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Takes shauns offer Frank, have spent time bastardising a cabriolet delta and non amplified B4 speakers into my 90, its involved...

The smaller of the 3 plugs there is for a tweeter to connect directly to, looks like the speaker itself is of the amplified type - my experience of this system is very limited, if someones been messing better just to replace the lot with an intact loom so you know where you are at.
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-16, 07:35 AM   #5
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun5 View Post
The speakers on my S6 have got the same arrangement, one of the connectors is a link wire, can't help other than that.
Ive got a complete radio wiring loom from a cabriolet you can have and a sub speaker (between the rear seats)
Thanks Shaun, that would be great altho' have managed to source already the sub woofer speaker between the rear seats. The wiring plug is still there but having plugged it in, there is nowt coming from it....but of course the wiring may have been cut further back down towards the front of the car.
I really need to get a continuity tester and learn how to use it.
Anyway, yes please for the wiring loom and maybe I can cross your palm with silver if we meet up on the 14th. Hoping you'll be able to make it ?
Cheers , Frank

p.s. thanks to you other chaps for the advice too.......
Old 26-01-16, 07:42 AM   #6
msh
4 ring whore!

The only thing you need is basic multimeter, like the one I bought on a high street store for 5 quid.

AFAIK one connector is for tweeter, one is unused, and that five pin connector provides power and signal - there's ground, constant power, on signal from radio and two signal wires. If you have the loom in place, all you have to do is to check if there's all five of the mentioned things present - 12 volts between ground and power and between ground and remote signal wire with radio on, and if they are and there's still no sound, you can test your speaker ability to work with any linear output level signal - long time ago, for example, I used one B4 rear door card as a speaker for my PC.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-16, 08:52 AM   #7
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default A 80 rear speaker

Same speaker style on a V8, 200, etc.

In a basic setup, a two wire plug goes to each speaker, L & R.

In the V8, there is an option for a rear seat headphone connection point, which then disconnect the rear speakers from the radio circuit, allowing the passengers to listen in private. So there is a small loom which interconnects the speakers and the headphone module. At a guess, it's not option in all models.

One of my cars has that setup, and I think there is still an unused connection on the speakers, or possibly an extra connection out to a pair of small tweeters.

Edit: that's probably what it is.
Small pic of the rear speaker options, V8. Main speaker cable in, tune up tweeter, and interconnect for headphones.

Last edited by Hanuman; 26-01-16 at 11:11 AM.
Hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-16, 09:20 AM   #8
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

^^^same as the 90, but this describes the non-amplfied setup.

The later cabriolets had a system more akin to the A-series cars where only the front speakers are driven by the headunit. The rears are sent line level input which is amplified by an amp which is integral to one of the rear speakers. There is also wiring to feed the amp (power etc) hence the complete set of pins in The top plug in Franks picture.

As msh says its possible to recreate the loom and test with a multimeter, but if there is access to an unmolested loom...
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-16, 09:28 AM   #9
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Wow, you guys are fantastic! Explanations galore and Marks picture speaking a thousand words. You can tell I'm an old geezer, my first car radio was a portable that used to slide sideways to and fro on the back window shelf on my Grandads Austin 8. I never progressed much beyond a speaker with two connectors, a power and an earth.
For sure, with the aid of Shauns loom, I may yet be able to resurrect the original system.

Thanks to all again.
Old 26-01-16, 01:46 PM   #10
ChrisG
Classic Audi Club Member

He eh Frank ! and my first was an old tranny, approx. 7" x 4", that I had strapped to the passenger sun visor..... and it worked surprisingly well.... and the car was a 6v 1962 Beetle ( in gulf blue) -- Oh those were the days .....
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote