Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Another How Much???

Old 26-07-15, 09:13 AM   #21
quattrostyle
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy View Post
problem is, they just ain't that sought after and probably never will be either
Probably not making myself popular now but did the same not apply to the 80 B4 you have sold last year?
quattrostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-15, 01:54 PM   #22
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Nice find cjp,price is of course too high for a poverty specked B3 but......seller is thinking,peeps,find another one!

Coxy is right about this particular B3 for sale in that it's never going to set alight ones pulse, when compared to the much more interesting 5cyl B3 models. So I am going to agree with Ken in general about the B3 as the model was a huge step forward in aesthetic design over the B2 especially the interior which as Ken rightly pointed out immediately made other car interiors look old hat.

The interior was so good it was carried over into B4 cars with thankfully an improved door card design in the B4 cars along with the stunning addition at least in Europe of the huge improvement in aesthetic design of the climate control panel. I have owned a B3 90 20V and there's no doubt in my mind the handling/ride compromise in the suspension department was one of Audis best efforts,I thought it superb!

As much as I love the top B3 models in my opinion the daddy is the B4. It just looks a more thoroughly designed car. Wider track,curtesy of meaty arch extensions and that slightly improved stunning interior allied with superb build quality,not to mention split folding rear seats as standard with superbly appointed materials used in the boot. Superb luxury! . Wheel designs such as the 10 spokes look awesome as does the 16 Avus on the S2 estate. What a handsome car the V6 and S2 estates make.A true Audi classic if ever I saw one! Have owned 2 x v6 avants for over 14 years now and still enjoy our Volcano black loaded example. What a car!!

We still own our 1.9 tdi B5 A4 of 9 years and was initially impressed with it as they do drive well with very very good handling but poor ride in my opinion.what disapointed me most was build quality, no way near as good as the b4 80.

vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-15, 04:15 PM   #23
cjp0349
Classic Audi Club Member

What is it that you dislike about B3 door cards Mark? I only ask because I've noticed that you've mentioned them more than once on various threads and as you may recall my B4 being a '91 model still has the 'leftover' B3 cards.
Any chance of some pictures so I can compare them?
Ta
1973 (M) 80L 1.3 2-dr white
1979 (T) 80SE 1.6 met.bue
1983 (Y) 80CL 1.6 met.blue
cjp0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-15, 04:57 PM   #24
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Nothing against them cjp. The B4 for 99% of sales would have had the updated door cards the B4 was designed for/with. My computers broken so can't get the picture I'm on the wife's I pad.

I posted it in one of Johns threads I think? If that helps.Sorry I can't help more.

Old 28-07-15, 07:16 PM   #25
ChrisG
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davallew View Post
I will disagree on just one point there Kenny, the original A4 (B5), that model saw a down turn in Audi build quality compared to the B3/B4. The B6 A4 is a far better car. Don't i recall you having a B5 and disliking it immensely
I disagree about the B6 being a better car!
Interior wise I find the plastics 'cheaper' eg door armrest in B5 (QTS) padded leather, B6 S line Quattro plastic, seats much more comfortable in B5 although the B6 seats LOOK as if they are Recaro style - just not so comfy and very hard after a couple of hours ( our 'problem' is neither of us are well padded in that area !! )
Front suspension is much more robust on B6 though ( none of this changing all arms regularly) and Vagtech pointed out to me how there are various bigger bushes in the B6 to help , they were doing the B5 and put my B6 up on a ramp to show..

My B3 was well built, much better than the B2 Sport, much as I love it, the B4 ( 2.8quattro) was superb - probably the best built Audi I've had/ever likely to have.

Last edited by ChrisG; 28-07-15 at 07:19 PM.
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-15, 07:37 AM   #26
Targus
Grown up member

After a few b5s I won't go back, they are getting very dated now, after driving a b6 it just feels more modern and refined. Mine has all the toys I need to keep me entertained, the passengers love it and the biggest bonus over the older audis, stuff is still available for it rather than "computer says no" it's nla.
Targus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-15, 01:42 PM   #27
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Here you go CJP. Differences between B3 and B4 door cards. The B4 top part of the door card blends in with the dashboard giving a more solid feel and allows nice location of the optional wood pack trims.It's just a better design which brings it more upmarket and although not the same as the C4 100/A6 cars B4 is actually better, it's similar in idea /effect.

Pictures are of the old B3 fwd 20V saloon and our current 2.6 estate.

Old 30-07-15, 02:13 PM   #28
cjp0349
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks for that Mark and your right, much more aesthetically pleasing
1973 (M) 80L 1.3 2-dr white
1979 (T) 80SE 1.6 met.bue
1983 (Y) 80CL 1.6 met.blue
cjp0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-15, 02:38 PM   #29
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp0349 View Post
Have to agree as well!!!
Flying Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-15, 02:59 PM   #30
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp0349 View Post
Hope you don't mind Carl but i thought you might like to see a picture of it when i clapped eyes on her at the dealer in Jan 2009.Look what i paid,but it was worth paying more than double the going price at the time.It took me years to find one with low mileage and loaded like this one.

Maybee i should start a thread on her some time?

Last edited by vorsprung durch technik; 30-07-15 at 03:12 PM.