Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Transmission » Quattro Death? B4 2.8 Coupe

Old 13-03-16, 09:17 PM   #11
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by read1984 View Post
...Leggy, I'll be careful and smack that #sadface off my face, man-up, fix the car and earn some Classic Audi stripes grrrrr..... something like that?
Yup, that's the spirit!
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-16, 07:19 AM   #12
spink
Classic Audi Club Member

Just a little tip here

Do not buy a diff off a b4 car(saloon/avant),coupes are different, this has caught out at least 2 people (possibly on this forum) I know of.
spink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-16, 08:26 PM   #13
audicoupeparts
Classic Audi Club Member

Would b2 coupe fit? No ARB mounts though
audicoupeparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-16, 08:50 PM   #14
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

2.8 coupe diff is different ratio to 5 cylinder cars so diffs are not that common, I believe they are 3.89 as opposed to 4.11 so it may involve a gearbox/diff change from a 5 cylinder car if you can't locate one, although I believe the B5 A4 cars use the 3.89 ratio as do some of the bigger quattro autos in the A6 range (needs an expert to confirm) I know that when my dad broke his gearbox in his 10v B3 90 quattro I swapped in a replacement box and diff from a 2.8 coupe and it buggered his acceleration as the ratio is longer (as in lowers the revs in all gears)

When I finally get my 2.8 coupe quattro back together it will have an S2 box/diff ratio so it will rev higher at any given speed
quattrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-16, 09:27 PM   #15
andydunn2
Ragtop Collector
Classic Audi Club Member

I have a good condition diff taken from a running 2.8 coupe if you are interested.

I'm in Chorley Lancashire.

Andy

Project "Best of Both Worlds" 1995 S2 Quattro Cabriolet
andydunn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-16, 12:08 AM   #16
read1984
Grown up member

Thanks for your comments and suggestions so far guys, I really appreciate your input here.

With all good intentions, with family and work commitments I have had to throw in the towel of DIY and get someone to look at this for me.

The mechanic basically said there is some good and bad news...

Good News

It looks like the Diff is ok, its the OSR CV joint that's gone. An OEM Rear Outer CV Joint kit is available. He is getting me a price for an after market Rear Outer CV Joint kit tomorrow.

Bad News

If the male cog (not sure what the correct name is) on the end of the drive shaft has sheared which he said is most likely rather than the female part of the joint, Then I'll need a new drive shaft. He won't know until he takes it apart.
There is also a fluid leak on the rear diff.

I may be in the market for a CQ 2.8 rear drive shaft if anyone knows where one is lurking?

@andydunn2 I am interested in hearing a bit more about that diff? Is there a Drive shaft or 2 along with it?
read1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-16, 07:12 AM   #17
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by read1984 View Post
If the male cog (not sure what the correct name is) on the end of the drive shaft has sheared which he said is most likely rather than the female part of the joint,
Sounds like he doesn't know at this stage if the splines on the shaft/joint are gone.....or if it's just the joint internals?

.......has he actually done any more than what you've done to diagnose the fault!!!
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-16, 08:51 AM   #18
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

If the splines on the driveshaft have worn then youll likely need an outer cv joint ( not too bad to do) and the hub itself which is more trouble due to you needing to put a new bearing in at the same time as theyre pressed in pretty darn tightly.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-16, 04:47 PM   #19
read1984
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
Sounds like he doesn't know at this stage if the splines on the shaft/joint are gone.....or if it's just the joint internals?

.......has he actually done any more than what you've done to diagnose the fault!!!
That's it, the 'splines'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
If the splines on the driveshaft have worn then youll likely need an outer cv joint ( not too bad to do) and the hub itself which is more trouble due to you needing to put a new bearing in at the same time as theyre pressed in pretty darn tightly.
Thanks 4v6, yes the mechanic said the same which is good to cross check.

He has come back to me and the Splines have failed and sheared off and I need another OSR Drive shaft!!

Does anyone know whether an s2, 20v, 80/90 Quattro rear drive shafts will fit my 2.8?

Cheers
read1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-16, 09:19 PM   #20
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrodave View Post
although I believe the B5 A4 cars use the 3.89 ratio as do some of the bigger quattro autos in the A6 range (needs an expert to confirm)
Well, that doesn't matter here - B5 uses similar rear diff like B4 avant/saloon, apart from lacking lock, and C5 rear diff is also different.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote