Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » 2.6 versus 2.8....opinios/advice

Old 28-06-15, 11:59 AM   #21
fourringsrus
Grown up member

I actually test drove a 2.8 manual cabby about 3 years ago and compared to my then current 2.6 coupe it felt really lazy, which I put down to the weight of convertibles, but my recently sold 2.6 manual convertible would have blown it away.
Anyway its great to get opinions from a mixed bunch of users with different driving styles and uses.
I went out this morning to view a 97 2.8 auto cabby in a lovely dark green met with green roof and grey full leather , but unfortunately as I am a bit picky, I didn't even drive it as the bodywork, though nice, was not quite good enough for me with too many slight imperfections and notable smart repairs done.
This car was the reason I asked the initial question and now I am certainly happy to view another 2.8, but sadly this one was not for me, shame as it was only about 15-20 miles away.
Many thanks boys, invaluable output as ever, I will keep you all aware of any progress

Stuart
fourringsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-15, 02:39 PM   #22
andydunn2
Ragtop Collector
Classic Audi Club Member

Keep looking there are mint ones out here just like VDK's and Lee's and now is the time to buy the very best and keep it.

Project "Best of Both Worlds" 1995 S2 Quattro Cabriolet
andydunn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-15, 06:16 PM   #23
fourringsrus
Grown up member

I am slightly kicking myself now for selling my 97 2.6 manual with full black leather and manual roof.
I let it go just last weekend, to a friend for just, what appears now to be a messily £1500.
Oh well we live and learn, I never imagined the nicer ones were increasing in value so much, though mine was not mint, it was only about a gnats cock off, so I may have cocked up big time there

Stuart
Old 29-06-15, 07:35 AM   #24
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

don't worry about it, life is too short for regrets, if you keep your eyes peeled you will find a good one out there, just be patient, keep topping the fund up when you can and see if you can bag one that ticks the boxes even if it needs some work but has all the bits you need.

mine could have been classified a bit of a mess when I got it, water matrix, bushes, gear selector issues, dicky electrics, leaking rear lights, shot speakers, brakes past their best, bearings that needed doing, oil leaks, loads of other wear and tear stuff that comes with age, but she's as good as she's ever been since being new.

thing is, all the panels were straight, no rust, nice leather, electric, working roof, smooth box, ellipsoids, those were my boxes ticked.

Something good will come up, always does
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-15, 03:24 PM   #25
fourringsrus
Grown up member

Yep yours is a darlin Lee, and like you all I want is a tidy car that is just in need of a bit of clay and wax.
Any nuts and bolts, front end usually, as I'm sure you know, would not be a problem for me but body work needs to be straight and true, all the other normal issues you highlighted above are also no problem, its just body I cant do except the shining and tarting up, thats my favourite bit.
Done all those including the matrix and although not a lovely job to do , it wasn't that big a deal really.
Do you think £1500 for my 97 P in almost spot on order with 112,000 miles, was a bit too cheap.
She was stunning but with no service history to speak of, almost a clone of Speckys silver babe but with black leather and roof with a manual roof and 5 speed and ABC.
Old 29-06-15, 03:30 PM   #26
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourringsrus View Post
Yep yours is a darlin Lee, and like you all I want is a tidy car that is just in need of a bit of clay and wax.
Any nuts and bolts, front end usually, as I'm sure you know, would not be a problem for me but body work needs to be straight and true, all the other normal issues you highlighted above are also no problem, its just body I cant do except the shining and tarting up, thats my favourite bit.
Done all those including the matrix and although not a lovely job to do , it wasn't that big a deal really.
Do you think £1500 for my 97 P in almost spot on order with 112,000 miles, was a bit too cheap.
She was stunning but with no service history to speak of, almost a clone of Speckys silver babe but with black leather and roof with a manual roof and 5 speed and ABC.
See the history will be an issue for someone paying top dollar and may be the only grey area, but as these become classics its harder to find one with fsh - which is why although mine pains me cash wise, I am keeping her up to date.

I would say that maybe you could have got £500-£750 more, but only if the right buyer came along, these cars are hard to price at the moment, I'm certainly no expert, but I know I would pay pay up to £2300 for a good one with no history, and up to £3500 for a good one with history, throw in things like a hardtop and other rare things and the price goes up a lot more, but at that price point, history is essential.

Don't fret it mate, its done, now you have a solid excuse to trawl eBay, try and get one with history though.
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote