Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » Audi 80 b2 1.8 front carriers

Old 02-05-18, 12:08 PM   #1
SPYROS29
Grown up member

Default Audi 80 b2 1.8 front carriers

Hello,

Iam looking for Audi 80 b2 1.8 front carriers (code 855 615 125) in order to upgrade my front brakes with the 239X20 vented discs.

Anyone have them?
SPYROS29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 03:43 PM   #2
msh
4 ring whore!

Why not go straight to G54's with 256x20 discs? Need to keep some 13" wheels?
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 05:30 PM   #3
billy_bunter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPYROS29 View Post
Hello,

Iam looking for Audi 80 b2 1.8 front carriers (code 855 615 125) in order to upgrade my front brakes with the 239X20 vented discs.

Anyone have them?
You may well know all this already but if you do not.....

If I remember correctly the standard solid disk caliper will not fit over a vented disk.

I found it very hard to source original Audi stuff when I looked into this a few years back.

Another route is to source Golf GTI MK1 (or an early golf MK2 parts?). There are some conversations on Golf MK1/2forums on uprating to the later 239x20 discs. If I remember correctly the magic number is 75mm. This is the distance between the caliper mounting bolts which will go over a later vented caliper. The non vented carrier bolt distance is 55mm IIRC.

If you already have the larger caliper all you should need is a carrier. However its not easy to find second hand Golf or Audi carriers. Though the Golf Cabriolet route may be easier as they made them into the 90's

Hope that all made sense. I am not sure its 100% accurate so please double check and research.
billy_bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 09:50 PM   #4
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_bunter View Post
Another route is to source Golf GTI MK1 (or an early golf MK2 parts?). There are some conversations on Golf MK1/2forums on uprating to the later 239x20 discs. If I remember correctly the magic number is 75mm. This is the distance between the caliper mounting bolts which will go over a later vented caliper. The non vented carrier bolt distance is 55mm IIRC.
I have no idea about very early mk2's, but generally mk2's and early mk3, when they had brakes with disc size 239 mm, had strange construction - wheel bearing carrier which had two functions, and second one is brake caliper carrier, so the only removable item is caliper itself.

In any case I personally would look at getting A90 running gear and brakes - although in greece they might be hard to get...
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 07:22 AM   #5
SPYROS29
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
I thought about it but I have to buy another set of calipers and carriers from Audi 90 typ81. I was trying to fix the one I have already for starters as I cant find an Audi 90 set up in Greece very easy. These cars were extremely rare in Greece due to high taxation.
If not, your tip is my another solution....
Old 03-05-18, 07:27 AM   #6
SPYROS29
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_bunter View Post
You may well know all this already but if you do not.....

If I remember correctly the standard solid disk caliper will not fit over a vented disk.

I found it very hard to source original Audi stuff when I looked into this a few years back.

If you already have the larger caliper all you should need is a carrier. However its not easy to find second hand Golf or Audi carriers. Though the Golf Cabriolet route may be easier as they made them into the 90's

Hope that all made sense. I am not sure its 100% accurate so please double check and research.
Your remarks are absolutely right my friend!
The 239x20 set up equipped only the Audi 80 b2 1.8 and Audi coupe b2 1.8 and these cars were rare in Greece due to high taxation. So I have to follow your tip about the MK1 Golf Gti and MK2. Thank you very much!
Old 03-05-18, 07:30 AM   #7
SPYROS29
Grown up member

Quote:
I have no idea about very early mk2's, but generally mk2's and early mk3, when they had brakes with disc size 239 mm, had strange construction - wheel bearing carrier which had two functions, and second one is brake caliper carrier, so the only removable item is caliper itself.

In any case I personally would look at getting A90 running gear and brakes - although in greece they might be hard to get...
Old 03-05-18, 08:28 AM   #8
SPYROS29
Grown up member

Quote:
No, I have already the 14 Ronal R8 alloys on the car.