Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » B2/3/4 headlamps info

Old 15-05-22, 11:32 AM   #1
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default B2/3/4 headlamps info

Hi Guys,

Just reading thru Obli's realy interesting thread and a bit late to the party as not been on here for over a week but just like to share my thoughts on LHD and RHD headlamp interchangeability.

I owned these cars (RHD) for over 34 years since buying my own UR back in 1988 and the extended family has owned lots of the others during that time.

I've probably rebuilt more than 30 or so B2/3/4 and elipsoid B4 headlamps in that time and from memory noted the following.

B2/3/4 lenses are definitely different parts RHD To LHD (obvious really as the lense pattern is different for the kickup) however B2 early lights and later lights can be converted from flat to angled lenses by changing the lens type for an earlier/later one, I did this back in the 80's to convert my 82 UR to the 85 front end using 2 lenses and new hocky sticks and grille using new parts for less that £80, ahh those were the days.

B4 (hella) elipsoid lense patterns are the same on LHD and RHD cars as the kick up is made by the projecter. A few years ago when they were still available I bought a new pair of LHD projectors and converted them to RHD by changing the projector unit for one from a C4 headlamp. The reason you cannot use the LHD projector in RHD (and also a RHD in a LHD) is that the adjuster tab for driving on the other side of the road just flattens the beam and removes the kick up, this is clear if you take a look on the RHD and LHD projector parts.

B2 (valeo) low beam reflectors have the bulb attachment as a seperate part so this can be rotated (from memory I think there is already attachments point and/or screw holes to allow this) from a LHD to a RHD and vice versa pattern to get the kick up correct for either mode.

B3 (valeo) reflectors although combined as a high/low beam unit also have the bulb attachment as a seperate part held n by 2 torx screws and with 2 extra holes in the bulb attachment a few degrees further round. By undoing and moving the bulb attachment to the other set of holes you convert RHD to LHD kickup and vice versa.

B4 (hella) reflectors are unique to RHD and LHD cars as the bulb attachment is actually a molded part of the reflector so its not possible to convert.

B4 (hella) elipsoid can be converted LHD to RHD by changing the projector unit as stated above.

As I say this is from memory over many years and its what I've found when repairing or rebuilding these headlamps for the family cars and from purchasing 2nd hand headlamps from varous sources when they were available and much cheaper than they are today.

There may be differences between the manufacturers headlamps as Audi used Valeo/Hella and Bosch as suppliers but generally I find that B2's and B3's were valeo and B4's both standard and elipsoid were Hella.
quattrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-22, 06:40 PM   #2
Sandro
Grown up member

brilliant info
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote