Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » 3D printing parts

Old 15-07-17, 07:03 PM   #11
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

As you may know Jake I do have a B2 Coupe and have had a look but due to the shape of the sun visor clip drawing them in 3D is ok but it is beyond me at this time to print them.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-17, 08:15 PM   #12
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Just about forgot about this one, been looking to fit bigger front brakes to fit the front of my B2 coupe GT the 256mm disc are Ok with the 2.2 KV 10v engine but when you have fitted a 20v 7A motor the braking system is not good enough, I looked to incress the front discs to 280mm x 20mm thk vented and use the same brake calipers and pads and use an alloy adapter plate, I came up with this plan, I do have access to a CNC alloy cutting table down in the shed, but cutting alloy is Ok but takes time and if the CNC machined alloy dose not fit it goes in the bin and you start again, so, why not draw it in AutoCAD and print it in the 3D printer, the PLA material is strong enough to hold the caliper and pads against the new disc, it only takes just over an hour to print and very cheap if it has to go in the bin, photo below is the bracket for the near side caliper and only needed to be handed to fit the other side.

No don't be daft I did not go out for a test drive with plastic bits holding my brakes on, this exercise was only to prove the pattern would fit, from that we can extract a Gcode to cut in alloy.

Photos below are of a brake pipe clip being made, only had one left intact of the originals on the B2 coupe and would you believe it NLA from Audi, this took under 10 minuets to draw and 16 minuets to print at a cost to me of 3p, yes it is in red because that is the colour of PLA I have in the printer just now, these are on the car holding brake pipes in the fire wall area.

Don't be fooled by anyone 3D printing is like and old Audi you need spares of every thing,
UK buying is Ok but comes with a cost, from china 2-3 week but at a cost you can live with,
buy in packs of ten, you can download 3D files from the internet to print but if you want NLA parts for cars you need to be able to draw in 3D.
Old 15-07-17, 08:55 PM   #13
mackenzie50
Grown up member

Skilltastic, Colin. I'm sure the folks here will keep you busy with suggestions for other expensive or NLA bits
mackenzie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-17, 10:03 PM   #14
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Loving the brake adapters... if you succeed in making the real deal then I could be interested for my .cq.
Jake Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-17, 11:56 PM   #15
slacky
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Great / clever work

90q-Cab.
2.3E-Ur-S6
-b2-80 Sport
Member 111
slacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 09:30 PM   #16
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi Jake, you asked about the sun visor clip, first print below, I need to work from a flat plane and have deleted the locating bits on the under side, you can really see the layers of PLA in the close up photos, this was printed with a 0.4mm print head it could be printed with 0.2mm,
the drawing need redone to remove some flaws in the print and may look better in light gray,
there is a process if printed using ABS that can make the print smooth.

Old 17-07-17, 09:37 PM   #17
David Small
David Small - Mr 80k
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post

Amazing stuff this and right up my street as i studied Design and Technology at college but sadly couldn't follow my dream. You mentioned Window lifter wheel wear. I've just had some rear cupholder brackets made for the A2 as they're nla and the plastic used is light blue and incredibly tough. So reading your piece and trying to leave a tooth imprint into my printed brackets leaves me to believe it will break my teath trying. Are there different strengths of plastic used in printing? What branch of design are you in?
Parts for A2 are now NLA - Audi what the hell are you playing at
David Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-17, 08:59 AM   #18
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
Hi Jake, you asked about the sun visor clip, first print below, I need to work from a flat plane and have deleted the locating bits on the under side, you can really see the layers of PLA in the close up photos, this was printed with a 0.4mm print head it could be printed with 0.2mm,
the drawing need redone to remove some flaws in the print and may look better in light gray,
there is a process if printed using ABS that can make the print smooth.

Impressive. this 3d printing lark could really be utilised for the odd stuff.
Jake Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-17, 08:59 AM   #19
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi All, I have had a second go at drawing and printing the sun visor clip for the B2 Coupe,
this time the base is a better shape and the thickness before the tapered rise is also better,
the first photo is of the AutoCad screen before it is sent to the printer, the last photo of the four is what I am working from, I do need to make the clip arm lighter by reshaping the edges of the clip but in order do this I need a complete sun visor clip, I do have two on my Ur quattro but I am reluctant to remove from the car in case I end up with another one in bits, anyway will try and fit this clip tonight and all going well will order light gray ABS that will never be a colour match but it will be close and then try this smoothing method I have seen on youtube, whats the worst that could happen, more money down the drain keeping old Audi's on the road, what new in that, still living the dream.

Old 20-07-17, 03:27 PM   #20
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Last night a friend gave me a sun visor clip that still had the shape of the clip on it because as you have seen from previous post I was working from a sun visor clip with the clip bit missing,
result of new drawing below. Would still look better in light gray PLA.