Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Transmission » 90 2.3 NG vs 7A clutch query?

Old 20-12-14, 04:45 PM   #1
dgacampbell
Classic Audi Club Member

Default 90 2.3 NG vs 7A clutch query?

Hi all,

My car is very soon in need of a new clutch, the biting point is at the very top of the pedal travel, and I get that lovely burning smell going up steep hills.

The car is a 1990 90 2.3E as most of you already know, but as I am waiting on someone local to me breaking a 20v so I can swap engines, I want to know can I fit the 7A clutch and pressure plate in the time being?

I have been looking on Vagcat and getting a bit confused lol.

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A80...11/49/1110934/

There is a 228mm clutch plate for the NG, and a 240mm clutch plate for the 7A.
There are both 228mm and 240mm pressure plates for the NG?

Anyone here in the know, or that has done such a conversion got the answer?

TIA

Dan.

By the way, I dont't want a whole speech about why the NG is a better engine than the 7A. Thanks very much!
dgacampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-14, 04:55 PM   #2
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgacampbell View Post
By the way, I dont't want a whole speech about why the NG is a better engine than the 7A. Thanks very much!
Ok nice and short......Don't bother!!

Did you get your drivers seat bolster repaired in the end in the same blue velour cloth we spoke about couple years ago one night?
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-14, 05:31 PM   #3
dgacampbell
Classic Audi Club Member

No, I never did get that repaired.

I have searched high and low for blue sports seats, which seem to be now non existent.

My intention is to find the sport seats in any colour and recover the centers with the material from my own and do the side bolsters in leather.

A job I will eventually get round too, but with ill health, lack of availability, money and the car now being a daily driver finding time for these things isn't so easy lol.
Old 20-12-14, 06:09 PM   #4
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I sympathise with never having enough money it always feels that way to me too.I sold the complete mint interior to a guy who travelled all the way down from Cumbria who in the end bought most of the body as well.I was only left with the shell. Boy did we cram his Previa rammed full.

Lets hope next year the whole of Europe is better than the last few years have been and santa brings you some cash to spend on the 90.Heres to your health and a better new year.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-14, 07:27 PM   #5
dgacampbell
Classic Audi Club Member

That's good.

I'm not holding out on Santa bringing cash, I have sent a letter every year since 1983, asking for a black Trans-Am that talks and jumps and can crash through walls without getting damaged. Never happens, last year a hid behind the chimney with a shotgun to let the air out of his reindeer, he never appeared, I reckon he must have seen me.

Sarcasm aside, I wish you and your's a great xmas and 2015 too!
Old 21-12-14, 12:11 AM   #6
msh
4 ring whore!

AFAIK there's only 240 mm pressure plate for 5 pots. I'm about go for AAN clutch kit, as it is known that this pressure plate is compatible with flywheel found on 2.3 and disc is compatible with both 01A and 01E [and probably beyond] gearboxes - only, I guess, flywheel will require some turning, as it has been worn against 228 mm disc for it's whole life. This combination has been used by our TDI fans in order to get rid of dual mass flywheel for their C4's or something else with 2.5 TDI installed.

As for this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgacampbell View Post
... how much are fines for reckless driving in UK?
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-14, 12:14 PM   #7
dgacampbell
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks for reply, I had not considered the flywheel needing refaced.

I wonder how bad it could be with only 65,000 miles??

Considering how elusive a good local 7A engine that I can hear running is proving to be, perhaps the 228mm clutch is the best choice in the interim.

Cheers.
Old 21-12-14, 09:25 PM   #8
msh
4 ring whore!

240 mm clutch is originally installed for 7A as a margin of safety, nothing else - I've heard that 228 mm clutch [of course, not stock item] is enough for any 10vt in any state of tune - which means up to some 500 nm. And you have FWD, which means easier life for clutch, as that transmission isn't as capable in getting all the newtons to road surface as quattro gearbox.

On the other hand, I can't see any reason why to change clutch to something that's not 240 mm - difference in price isn't large, and the fact that originally there is 228 mm is just for economy.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote