Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Anyone throttle bodied a 16v ACE?

Old 02-12-17, 11:18 AM   #1
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Anyone throttle bodied a 16v ACE?

Hi,

Looking to do some engine mods to my coupe 16v. I'm looking to throttle body and get rid of the KE-motronic setup. I love the look of a clean engine bay and keeping the originality of the car with its original engine (which has fsh and low miles) but unleashing the 16v with extra grunt. I'm planning extra head work and a custom exhaust manifold etc.

My question is, has anyone done this to the Audi 16v? basically the engine is a vw 9A and kits are offered for this like Jenvey but the price new is ridiculous. What ECU were you running?

Also there is an opportunity to throw a 20vt BAM in it with all running gear out of an 80 saloon but as stated above I want to keep its originality.

Advice and thoughts would be much appreciated.

Steve
Peacedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 02:14 PM   #2
Andy10v
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Aspro did it with Megasquirt;

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-TB-conversion

A lot more golf GTI conversions than Audi ones, loads of info on Vortex, just a lot of dross to sift through as well.

Aspro used to post on audifans as well, there are some old threads with 16v info.

1.8t will be cheaper/easier to get more power, I guess it depends if you want to keep the original engine and are more interested in the charager of ITBs?

Sold-1992 3B S2 coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, forged rods, rear torsen....
Sold-1993 ABY coupe
Andy10v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 02:22 PM   #3
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy10v View Post
Aspro did it with Megasquirt;

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-TB-conversion

A lot more golf GTI conversions than Audi ones, loads of info on Vortex, just a lot of dross to sift through as well.

Aspro used to post on audifans as well, there are some old threads with 16v info.

1.8t will be cheaper/easier to get more power, I guess it depends if you want to keep the original engine and are more interested in the charager of ITBs?
Thanks for that. Yeah it's killing me trying to decide which route. The power thing doesn't really bother me as it's my cruiser but I love a grunty 16v and clean bay. But I do love the 20vt too and this one that I'm in talks with could sway me. Just trying to get a cost comparison and how much a pain in the arse it is to TB.

Appreciate the info.

Steve
Old 02-12-17, 06:50 PM   #4
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedub View Post
Thanks for that. Yeah it's killing me trying to decide which route. The power thing doesn't really bother me as it's my cruiser but I love a grunty 16v and clean bay. But I do love the 20vt too and this one that I'm in talks with could sway me. Just trying to get a cost comparison and how much a pain in the arse it is to TB.

Appreciate the info.

Steve
In that case forget about 16v with ITBs - such setup is most suitable for, let's say, mk2 golf which regularly goes on track - while you have heavier car where mostly downsides of this setup will be felt, like lack of torque at low revs and bigger fuel consumption [which is already bigger than for 8v engine].

Costs? If you know how to solder and are ready to learn how to tune, VEMS in parts kit form + wideband oxygen sensor will end up at some 450 euro mark + some junkyard stuff like injectors, fuel rail, donor ECU for case etc + cost of intake parts. If you want someone else to do the wiring and tuning, I guess the price will be two or three times bigger.

So in the end 1.8T wins - as usual.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 09:03 PM   #5
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
In that case forget about 16v with ITBs - such setup is most suitable for, let's say, mk2 golf which regularly goes on track - while you have heavier car where mostly downsides of this setup will be felt, like lack of torque at low revs and bigger fuel consumption [which is already bigger than for 8v engine].

Costs? If you know how to solder and are ready to learn how to tune, VEMS in parts kit form + wideband oxygen sensor will end up at some 450 euro mark + some junkyard stuff like injectors, fuel rail, donor ECU for case etc + cost of intake parts. If you want someone else to do the wiring and tuning, I guess the price will be two or three times bigger.

So in the end 1.8T wins - as usual.
Damn, I was hoping for positives on the ITB route. But I think you've definitely cleared it up for me. Very expensive for a clean bay look. Looks like I'll be trying to do a deal on this 20vt then. Much appreciated for all the info guys
Old 02-12-17, 10:38 PM   #6
buzzin
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I vote for the throttle bodies!!

You seen the badger5 kit?
buzzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 10:50 AM   #7
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzin View Post

ITB's are my favourite choice and I'm too easily swayed. Not seen the badger5 kit, I'd love to see someone's setup if they have done it. Cost is the big thing at the minute. Pound for Pound the 20v is winning. Decisions decision
Old 03-12-17, 12:17 PM   #8
The Duke
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedub View Post
ITB's are my favourite choice and I'm too easily swayed
Got to be ITBs, OK it won’t have the ultimate tunibility of the 20vT, but the noise, the rawness will be much more authentic..

I’ve got a BMW ‘02 on ITBs, it’s only 180bhp, but run it with the open trumpets and you’ll think it’ll suck your head clean off your shoulders!!
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-17, 01:37 PM   #9
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzin View Post

So, had a chat with Badger5 this morning. £2.6k all in (GULP) and because its specific to KR/9a I would need to modify connectors to suit ACE as well as manufacture some sort of bracket to mount the cam sensor! I really cant justify paying that sum of cash unless someone has a setup already to go?