Classic Audi Community General Chat » Brexit stuff.

Old 04-10-18, 05:39 PM   #11
Duffy3074
Classic Audi Club Member

The Facebook link should allow you to see what it was, it was the result of a poll put forward by Farage which came out as 63% to stay in the EU if a new vote was held, about a million people voted but who knows where from.

I’m guessing not the result Farage was hoping for.

My only position now is that whilst the people have spoken in an overwhelming 52/48 majority, what is done is done. The only caveat to that is the hard brexit mentioned by Mogg etc as being unthinkable during the referendum and which is now becoming a good thing from their point of view should not be allowed to pass.
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 05:47 PM   #12
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
.. we wanted to leave.
Not exactly.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 05:52 PM   #13
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Oh dear. I suppose this thread was always going to appear at some point...
-2012 A1 Sport TFSI / Glacier White (Sold)
-2017 A1 Sportback S-line TFSI / Scuba Blue
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 06:52 PM   #14
4v6
The engine meister!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Bah, come on, you know this niche forum is part of what's termed "social media". What you wrote is what I've seen other people post up elsewhere, I didn't see anything new or original in there, just the same right wing propaganda. Which is why I say you are being used as a messenger to spread the word.

If you stepped out of the fight and watched the battle from a distance, you would see that anything anyone says about brexit is pure speculation, or as we say around here, total bollocks. If this person is in a position of influence, then it's a chess move. If you relay this information, then you're a pawn in their game.

I can't see the link Duffy posted as you need to login. How can I see facebook content without an account?.

Oh, so there is a history of lying to voters then. If they had only been told the truth instead of being manipulated through the media, we wouldn't have joined?. I suppose it's all honest and true info they are feeding us these days.

I cant see any right wing propaganda Ben my concerns are quite valid in that if another vote is run it effectively says to the majority voting public "we're right your wrong and theres nothing you can do about it."
Of course if the vote came out with similar numbers but biased to the remain side thatd be an end to it and leavers would just have to get on with it wouldnt they?
Id bet that if the vote came out again in favour of leave we'd have to vote again like in ireland etc with the lisbon treaty vote amongst others.
Do you agree thats right or wrong?
Thats extremely damaging to democracy and peoples perceptions of it little wonder voter apathy is in the ascendence.
As for right wing bias politics has moved so far to the left that anything further right than centre left is now considered hard right......
Lying to voters isnt new but it also shouldnt be seen as acceptable from any political view can you really say if the public knew everything in that document was to be enacted on them that theyd have actively voted for it?
Its strange to see people so vigorously defending an idea designed to relieve them of something they take for granted. Freedom.
Peace.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 06:53 PM   #15
mackenzie50
Grown up member

Ah...referendums...Painfully I remember how in 2014 we got stuffed by the media manipulation/scaremongering in our own Independence referendum..

On a more basic note- Jeezo...parts are a nightmare to get for our old cars as it is...
How much more difficult/expensive/impossible, will being out of the Euro- union be I wonder??!
mackenzie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 07:17 PM   #16
billy_bunter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Slight tangent...

Comments made about bias in media etc. Reminded me of this interesting article about Twitter and its effects on the political landscape..

https://prospectmagazine.co.uk/magaz...soned-politics

Another article I read a while ago was about the last American election. This was highlighting the entrenchment of views on either side and the demonising (read hatred/dehumanising) of the opponent. The skill of listening to the opponent and understanding perhaps empathising and thus coming to a compromise has been lost in the whole American political system. Mainly by the media/political system being in the same bed. Sound familiar! The article I linked touches on this to a certain extent and the fact that no one really listens from the other side of a keyboard. They just try to win at any cost.

Also think on the fact that the BBC is no longer 'independent' of Politics. Whether you agreed with its left leaning bias or not (a natural thing to happen as that is mainly the type of person they employ) it was independent of party influence. IMO pretty consitent in how they provided news. No longer, as the top board/management are now political appointments. That was the last 'national' independent news provider left.

I will crawl back into my box.

BTW has anyone got access to ELSAWIN? If so please, please, please PM me

Last edited by billy_bunter; 04-10-18 at 07:19 PM.
billy_bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 07:38 PM   #17
4v6
The engine meister!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_bunter View Post
Slight tangent...

Comments made about bias in media etc. Reminded me of this interesting article about Twitter and its effects on the political landscape..

Another article I read a while ago was about the last American election. This was highlighting the entrenchment of views on either side and the demonising (read hatred/dehumanising) of the opponent. The skill of listening to the opponent and understanding perhaps empathising and thus coming to a compromise has been lost in the whole American political system. Mainly by the media/political system being in the same bed. Sound familiar! The article I linked touches on this to a certain extent and the fact that no one really listens from the other side of a keyboard. They just try to win at any cost.

Also think on the fact that the BBC is no longer 'independent' of Politics. Whether you agreed with its left leaning bias or not (a natural thing to happen as that is mainly the type of person they employ) it was independent of party influence. IMO pretty consitent in how they provided news. No longer, as the top board/management are now political appointments. That was the last 'national' independent news provider left.

Well said nothing to disagree with there.
It seems america has been very divided since the 70's an absolute failure of the political system.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 07:44 PM   #18
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_bunter View Post
Slight tangent...

If there was a like button, I would have pressed it

This is the point I'm trying to make. No one in charge has said there will be a second referendum, because there won't be. So there's no news there. That leaves us with who has said there will, and why have they said it?

Last edited by Ben; 04-10-18 at 07:46 PM. Reason: forgot the smileys again
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 11:49 PM   #19
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

My tuppence worth....

Referendums, in Ireland we've had our fair share, but one in particular comes to mind. The Ratification of the Treaty of Lisbon. In 2008 Ireland was the only country to hold a referendum on the treaty, as all other member states basically signed up without consulting their respective populous. Without getting into the details, because the Irish Constitution would have required changing to ratify the process, the country had to vote. We said no. End of. Or so we thought. The EU immediately put pressure on the Irish government, basically said we were wrong and do it again. So a year later they did, and miraculously we said yes the second time. We were bullied by the EU who, in thinly veiled threats said they'd stop all the funding we'd be getting from them. So our then government bullied us with scare tactics until we changed our minds. The point is, if they want to, they'll have another referendum. Nothing is set in stone, May is saying it won't happen, but how long more will she stay in power. Not long from where my armchair is.

Just saying like...
theschmallfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 05:02 AM   #20
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenzie50 View Post
Ah...referendums...Painfully I remember how in 2014 we got stuffed by the media manipulation/scaremongering in our own Independence referendum..

On a more basic note- Jeezo...parts are a nightmare to get for our old cars as it is...
How much more difficult/expensive/impossible, will being out of the Euro- union be I wonder??!
...and it went something like this:
"Vote yes and you'll get booted out the EU and that's going to be bad"
...so the result was we stayed part of the UK.

As the whole leave idea is now revealing itself to be one big problem after another, then why not have another vote? The population are more informed now than before the Brexit vote?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote