Classic Audi Technical Mech/Tech Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Door Handle removal

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-11-17, 03:01 PM   #1
hotsnot
Newbie!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ripon, North Yorkshire
Posts: 16
Default Door Handle removal

So my drivers door handle exploded last week on my B2 Coupe, new one on its way. Whilst investigating what had happened I found it impossible to remove the rod for the locking mechanism from the handle/door lock. Any advice on how this is achieved would be appreciated, the door latch release was dead easy.

Jase
hotsnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-17, 05:28 PM   #2
4v6
The engine meister!
Classic Audi Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: west midlands
Posts: 5,794
Default

Youll need to remove the door card to access all the bits as the locking rod is on a plastic clip that has to be rotated around and off the rods to get the handle out the door.
Haynes manual is a good source of info for these models as theyre detailed, unlike all their newer stuff which is written for nursery grade mechanics...
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 12:55 PM   #3
hotsnot
Newbie!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ripon, North Yorkshire
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Youll need to remove the door card to access all the bits as the locking rod is on a plastic clip that has to be rotated around and off the rods to get the handle out the door.
Haynes manual is a good source of info for these models as theyre detailed, unlike all their newer stuff which is written for nursery grade mechanics...
The haynes manual I've got seem to cover s2 door handle removal but not b2. I had a go last week and there didn't seem to be enough movement in the rod to get it to clear the plastic bit on the lock/latch mechanism. I don't want to get to ham fisted with it and break something else.
hotsnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 02:37 PM   #4
Isimmo
Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sissix-by-the-sea
Posts: 13,932
Default

Here's a handy youtube guide....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PX1cVuaVA
__________________
1985 WR quattro, 1985 20vT RallyRep, 1993 MTM ABY S2 Avant.
Isimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 03:14 PM   #5
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member
 
vorsprung durch technik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Near Watford.
Posts: 5,124
Default





On a serious not Jase, get yourself an old copy of the B2 saloon coupe Haynes manual.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 12:06 PM   #6
hotsnot
Newbie!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ripon, North Yorkshire
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post




On a serious not Jase, get yourself an old copy of the B2 saloon coupe Haynes manual.
Hopefully this will be the right one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
hotsnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 01:49 PM   #7
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member
 
Hanuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Heckling from the cheap seats
Posts: 6,539
Default



Depending upon which rod is involved-

Some are retained in plastic collar; once inserted, the collar is rotated and clips around the rod, holding it in place.

Others go together in a sequence. Item 9 I think is disconnected from the latching mech first (1&7), once the rod is dangling in the 'quadrant' item 29, the rod is turned through 90, and simply slips out of the slot.

What you really need to do is show a pic of the problem bits, so that specific suggestions can be given.
__________________
enjoying a curry and a tiger beer

Last edited by Hanuman; 15-11-17 at 01:57 PM.
Hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 01:54 PM   #8
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member
 
vorsprung durch technik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Near Watford.
Posts: 5,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsnot View Post
Hopefully this will be the right one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes that's the right one.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 02:19 PM   #9
hotsnot
Newbie!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ripon, North Yorkshire
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post


Depending upon which rod is involved-

Some are retained in plastic collar; once inserted, the collar is rotated and clips around the rod, holding it in place.

Others go together in a sequence. Item 9 I think is disconnected from the latching mech first (1&7), once the rod is dangling in the 'quadrant' item 29, the rod is turned through 90, and simply slips out of the slot.

What you really need to do is show a pic of the problem bits, so that specific suggestions can be given.
Cool cheers, it's part 9 I am having problems with , I can't get it detached from the latch mech.

Last edited by hotsnot; 15-11-17 at 02:23 PM.
hotsnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 06:54 PM   #10
hotsnot
Newbie!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ripon, North Yorkshire
Posts: 16
Default

Well that was a waste of 2 hours, couldn't get the old barrel into the new handle, all the levers fell out of the barrel that came with the new handle, the handle is a shit fit, old seals don't fit, had to tap the end where its screwed to the door and to top it all it won't open the door so I'm still having to open it from passengers side .

Has anyone bought and used one of the door handles from vw heritage or classic vw?
hotsnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2007-2008 Classic Audi | Site by Roadrunna