Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Temperature gauge!!!!!!

Old 18-05-10, 01:44 PM   #1
stephen2320
Grown up member

Exclamation Temperature gauge!!!!!!

Hi all i have just bought another 2.3 coupe with the lovely 5 cylinder engine, absolutely mint except the engine temperature gauge isn't working... what shall i do with it???
stephen2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-10, 11:16 PM   #2
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

smash it with a hammer....!

or loads of stuff half way down this page which should be sort of similar

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...ing.html#gauge
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-10, 11:28 PM   #3
urS6
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen2320 View Post
Hi all i have just bought another 2.3 coupe with the lovely 5 cylinder engine, absolutely mint except the engine temperature gauge isn't working... what shall i do with it???
Oil temperature or water temperature? On my cars, the water temperature is a pretty solid 87 C. The oil temperature rarely moves off the end stop unless you really thrash the car.

I'd guess you're looking at a wiring problem in the engine bay.

Bentley will certainly have procedures for fault finding -Haynes probably does as well.

Paul
urS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-10, 11:35 PM   #4
stephen2320
Grown up member

Question

Cheers its the water temp I have managed to pinpoint it to the actual temp sender unit which has the radiator top hose attached too, luckily enough I have my other audi in bits so it came off that, now when removing the faulty one I snapped a bolt so any ideas on that! As its the engine block I can't weld as alloy will melt before steel bolt, struggling to drill due to lack of space but a dremel flexi seems to get in so a trip to get some easy outs tomoz is on the cards unless someone else has a better idea?
stephen2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-10, 12:02 AM   #5
urS6
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen2320 View Post
... I snapped a bolt so any ideas on that! As its the engine block I can't weld as alloy will melt before steel bolt, struggling to drill due to lack of space but a dremel flexi seems to get in so a trip to get some easy outs tomoz is on the cards unless someone else has a better idea?
I HATE when that happens - ruins your whole day!

Any chance of getting better access by removing a few other bits and pieces? I presume it's one of the bolts that mounts the flange to the block. You could try using your welder just for a second - I've heard that that often breaks the bond between two dissimilar metals.
urS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-10, 12:04 AM   #6
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

its always the little things...

if it was steel in steel i usually place a steel nut over the snapped bolt/stud and fill the nut up with the welder ..then unscrew it if the weld is good and the heat has done its thing.. but steel in alloy..! could be tighter than a nuns......shoe laces...
good luck dude
but remember...easy outs snap to!! use a bigger one before you force it too much
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote