Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » B3 Coupe Window Regulator

Old 02-06-18, 12:22 PM   #1
KB_Yorks
Grown up member

Default B3 Coupe Window Regulator

Hi All

My B3 coupe electric drivers side window regulator (RHD) has packed in and I am looking for a replacement or possible repair. The motor appears fine but the cables look corroded, damaged and no longer any good. So I am looking out for a replacement.

As I understand it the B3 and B4 regs are different where B4 wont fit easily into a B3. I have already purchased one from fleebay and to install it to find out that this was also faulty - I think someone (probably the seller) had botched it up and it didn't work. They are not easy to come by these days and so I am looking for alternatives.

1. Another second hand perfect working order regulator
2. A possible repair to my existing regulator. Has anyone attempted this with success? I have also seen cable repair kits on ebay but don't know if there any good or easy to install and will last long? Anyone tried this before or have experience of this? Or has anyone sent theirs to get professionally repaired by a company?

Thanks in advance

Karl
KB_Yorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 03:26 PM   #2
msh
4 ring whore!

What is exact problem with existing unit?

It's not very hard to make new cables, nor it requires any special to do that - just angle grinder, 1 kg hammer, drilling machine and a few drills in the diameter of cable in question [likely 2 mm] and also piece of new cable and small piece of thick metal, some 8-10 mm. My mk2 golf has self made front power windows regulators, which I made up from existing mk2 manual regulator rails, B3 saloon front power window motors [identical to mk2 ones, apart from power cable], existing cable casings and self made cables.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 06:47 PM   #3
KB_Yorks
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
What is exact problem with existing unit?

It's not very hard to make new cables, nor it requires any special to do that - just angle grinder, 1 kg hammer, drilling machine and a few drills in the diameter of cable in question [likely 2 mm] and also piece of new cable and small piece of thick metal, some 8-10 mm. My mk2 golf has self made front power windows regulators, which I made up from existing mk2 manual regulator rails, B3 saloon front power window motors [identical to mk2 ones, apart from power cable], existing cable casings and self made cables.
Hi msh

Thanks for your response and suggestion.

The problem with the unit is that when I operate from the switch the window works okay to go down but then if I press the switch again to put the window back up it won't go back up. I have to wait a while before I can use it again. Its as though the thermal cut-out kicks in and I have to wait a while before I can operate the window again. The window has always been a bit slow at going back up and so I think the cables are worn inside.

I have a mk 2 golf too but manual windows (which I am preferring at the moment ha ).

Thanks
Karl
KB_Yorks is offline   Reply With Quote