Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Blade runner.

Old 16-04-17, 08:00 AM   #21
cjp0349
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam G View Post
I can't think of any pre star wars sci-fi classics.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
That's a bit of a sweeping statement Adam but I'm guessing I may be a little older than you

As a child of the 1960s Gerry Anderson school of sci-fI, Fireball XL5/Captain Scarlet/UFO I was very influenced by the numerous American sci-fI movies of the early and mid 50s such as The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Thing from Another World and The Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Yes they look very dated now, as does the original Star Wars, but they are all considered classics in their own right with advanced special effects for their day and all have been remade in various guises since

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b-lRstfP2uE

Keep looking! Keep watching the skies!!

cjp0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-17, 12:07 PM   #22
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I'm a big SW's fan but........

The original 'Day the earth stood still'
The Forbidden Planet
Westworld
The day the Earth caught fire

are all pre Star Wars classics and there's plenty more!
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-17, 12:52 PM   #23
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Didn't think this thread would cause a hoo harrr.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-17, 01:00 PM   #24
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Anyway,yes those early films are good in their own right i have seen a few of them i think? But there's no doubt about it that
set technolgy and filming technology had really moved on by the late 70's by the likes of Spielberg and Ridley Scott etc.

There's another film that hasn't had a mention that was a superb Sci Fi movie par excellence.....Alien the original.
Now that was some film and even today it's as gripping as it was back then.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-17, 05:27 PM   #25
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Love this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5nmxHjPuvY
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-17, 05:36 PM   #26
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp0349 View Post
That's a bit of a sweeping statement Adam but I'm guessing I may be a little older than you

As a child of the 1960s Gerry Anderson school of sci-fI, Fireball XL5/Captain Scarlet/UFO I was very influenced by the numerous American sci-fI movies of the early and mid 50s such as The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Thing from Another World and The Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Yes they look very dated now, as does the original Star Wars, but they are all considered classics in their own right with advanced special effects for their day and all have been remade in various guises since

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b-lRstfP2uE

Keep looking! Keep watching the skies!!

I have to agree with Adam G here, I am an old git, avid si fi from an early age and watched all of the Captain S, Thunderbirds stuff, The Day the Earth Stood Still, War of the Worlds etc and have to agree the birth of the Star Wars films does leave the other old stuff in the shade, the opening scene where the star destroyer comes in to view from the top of the screen still does it for me. That broke the mould and started a new era for si fi films, the technical detail they bring in to the films now is outstanding, even if it is CGI, the effort to make it look real and more overly to get it to look like it belongs is the thing that impresses me. One of the recent scenes is one of the shots from the 2nd new Star Trek films, it uses a back drop as one of the engine bays, and for me has it spot on. Someone must have said if you have a star ship then the engines would be f massive and look like massive f engines, and these look absolutely right.

Also I think the latest SW or 2 SW films, to get the actors more realistic I think I read they actually built a real size Millennium Falcon and X wing fighters, as the CGI on earlier one left the actors looking a bit wooden, a great idea. Any one know where I can buy the ones they don't want ?

Anyway this is getting away from the tread, I for one will be booking a seat for Blade Runner, and there look to be a lot of good si fi films coming out this summer.

Ciao

David
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-17, 06:01 PM   #27
cjp0349
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post

The day the Earth caught fire
Great choice that one Duffy A largly forgotten early 60s Brit sci-fi. Haven't seen it for years
cjp0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 07:38 PM   #28
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Has anyone been to the flicks recently? Bladerunner trailers are looking suitably moody.

Oh, the anticipation...
Old 31-08-17, 08:48 PM   #29
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Dalek - Invasion Earth 2150ad Peter Cushing as Dr Who. 1966. Got me hooked on Dr Who...

Looking forward to Bladerunner...
Jake Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-17, 09:16 PM   #30
Adam G
Grown up member

Well, after all the speculation, much to my surprise I thought the new blade runner film was brilliant. Possibly even better than the first one. A master piece.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Adam G is offline   Reply With Quote