Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Brexit stuff.

Old 07-02-19, 11:08 PM   #111
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Brilliant.......

Get a load of the Guy in the red tracksuit top telling the SNP on the "Motherwell" Question time panel right now how it is!!! Top man knows his stuff and put her straight.

It's on now but you'll get it on catchup up or Youtube.

Last edited by vorsprung durch technik; 07-02-19 at 11:14 PM.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 11:27 PM   #112
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

They've been trying to 'reform' the EU for decades. How many more will it take?

My father's generation fought for a free Europe (49 & 83 Squadrons) and were all for everyone getting on and prospering after their sacrifices, but not for the gradual erosion of sovereignty - that after all was why they risked their lives in Lancasters all those years to retain, not to mention the sacrifices of my great uncles a generation before in the trenches. As political influence gravitated more towards Bonn/Berlin and Paris they found it ironic at first then disturbing.

The idea of peace in Europe being down to the EEC/EU must be considered nonsense. We owe it to NATO, especially the US forces that were stationed in Europe under the American nuclear umbrella. I fear any US withdrawal from NATO, as love them or loathe them, the Yanks are the only ones who have the means to face any major military threat to the west. There is no one left among the leaders of the world with a memory of World War 2, so we face a real danger now more than ever of some nut in the world crossing a line without appreciating the consequences.

Furthermore, the idea of conflict in Europe being less likely within the EU family is naive. Some of the worst conflicts arise within families and this will always be the case. Deep rooted resentments and differences can always raise their ugly heads between people, regardless of how much water has flowed under the bridge. We've seen that in the former Yugoslavia and we see it now in the Irish Backstop debate, Gibraltar and Basque desire for separation from Spain to name a few.

I'm always surprised at how little the subject of national sovereignty features in the arguments put forward by Remainers. It's just as precious as peace, economic prosperity, human rights, democracy , freedom of speech etc. Anyone who doubts that should take a walk through the cemeteries in northern France.

The UK will be fine.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 09:28 PM   #113
William Blyth
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Yes that's EU all over, the rich and powerful all on the EU gravy train at the expense of their people they are supposed to represent.
The quicker we leave the better and perhaps then we should then focus on the corrupt Politian's in the UK
Whilst we fight amongst ourselves on what best for the UK they are still getting richer and richer.
I bet in ten years time regardless we have a deal, no deal, leave or not leave, they we be still at it in one form or another.
If we win this battle with the EU we still have many more closer to home before we can win any war.
William Blyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 10:35 PM   #114
Sandro
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Mate, any of these sites I could make up any time in 2 hours. Like the greens-efa.eu. They claim things they write are based on data on studies. Which ones please? How do they separate government / EU funds corruption and corruption where private companies money for private business interests are involved. I am not defending corruption in any form, but to claim what EU is mega corrupted and leaving it UK will live a better life is just funny. Maybe let's start with Boris Johnson's speech at JCB first?
Read the greens-efa.eu Members section. That says it all

Not gona comment express.co.uk. That's made by Nigel Farage.

Last edited by Sandro; 08-02-19 at 10:45 PM.
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 02:40 PM   #115
moonwatcher
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

There's no way to quantify the full extent of corruption in the EU!
The full accounts of the EU have not been audited and accepted for the last fifteen years
No audited accounts means no way to count the money in or out
Old 14-03-19, 08:44 PM   #116
urquattr085
Classic Audi Club Member

I don't normally comment on political stuff, but this shambles has my blood boiling & my will to live walking out of the room.

Our pillars of democracy have fallen around the deaf ears of our representatives and they alone are to blame.

To top it off May wants a 3rd attempt at getting "her" deal voted through, just to waste more time..............

Albert Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result

Seems to me he had a point.

2010 A3 1.4 tfsi Sport - Sold but still in the family
1984 80 Quattro - Sold many moons ago
1981 Coupe GT - Sold to buy above
urquattr085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-19, 08:57 PM   #117
moonwatcher
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Well if the last few days have shown us anything its that parliament and its residents are simply not fit for purpose.

And I mean that in respect of all sides, non of them have any idea of what democracy actually is, theyve turned the whole idea of it into a circus act.

I am a committed brexiter, I believe wholly that this country left to its own devices can do infinitely better than the eu can and all talk of cliff edges and failure fazes me not one bit, except for one part that does- the ability of those who claim to represent us is now laid bare in its naked incomptence.
Being 100% fair to both sides of the debate, Im of the opinion that Leave Mps who voted against their constituents shouldnt be standing at all now, and vice versa as theyve gone diametrically opposite to the people they claim ( they claim huh?) to represent.

Im disgusted by the wholly shambolic nature of parliament and the petty, idiot games theyre playing with peoples lives just to try to circumvent the referendum result.

Rotten to the core, theres no point to voting anymore theyve broken the system.
I agree to 99% of your post except your last sentence.
NO! NO! NO! we cannot consider not voting.
If nothing else we need to reform the political system and make our representatives do our bidding or they're out
Old 14-03-19, 10:40 PM   #118
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Don't give up on Democracy folks, it's flawed, but it's the best governing system civilization has managed to come up with. The alternatives are always worse in the end......

When you get the democracy blues just think of all those white headstones in France.....
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-19, 08:25 PM   #119
moonwatcher
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

At the moment Article 50 is enshrined in law and on our statute books and unless the law is changed must complete by 29 March.
I don't believe (hope) that there is the numbers to get it changed.
So it's out we go
Old 16-03-19, 10:16 PM   #120
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
If our politicians refuse to listen to our voices, they might well have to listen to our fists.

you and who's army?