Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » would you buy jap?

Old 28-10-10, 10:25 PM   #21
Audiden
Classic Audi Club Member

In all truth I'd rather drive jap than anything else purely for reliability. But there's nothing that floats my boat these days... apart from a Skyline & they're silly money to maintain afaik!

My first car was one of my Honda's & the reason I have so many is sentiment over a car that was just so damn reliable! The one I drive occasionally never goes wrong... oh, apart from the elec sunroof that now needs assistance to close.

So I drive Audi now, but could mybe be persuaded over to BMW I think
Old 29-10-10, 09:25 AM   #22
marcz
Grown up member

Send a message via Skype™ to marcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky View Post
well not this one anyway
There's a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE between Chinese and Japanese cars... in fact, Chinese and Japanese ANYTHING! I think there was a thread elsewhere on this forum where the topic drifted to guitars and man, there is a perfect example if ever there was one. Cheap Fender and Gibson (Squire and Epiphone) are not a patch on "MIJ" equivalents which, in turn, have well and truly surpassed the US made instruments.

Mind you, Chinese manufacturing to specifications from elsewhere can be impressive but locally designed and built has a long way to go to come anywhere near Japanese products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouldy View Post
i still think that jap stuff is the most reliable tbh, a lot of the people who like german cars say that jap stuff has no character and is boring to drive, which TBH I think is total BS
You got that on one! Our Subarus are good, reliable cars and the WRX is fun to boot. Actually, Subarus hold their value very well here and the reason for that is they are incredibly reliable cars with a superb track record.

And for reliability and cost of ownership, I'd own an old Datsun or Toyota (1960's~1970's) before anything of that era from your side of the world.

Bland and soulless?... just about any new car, irrespective of country of origin!
marcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-10, 09:49 AM   #23
Strangelandeddie
Grown up member

Yes I'd buy Jap. got my daughter a W reg swift as her first car two years ago still going strong and not had to spend a penny on it.
Will be sorry to see it go next year when she gets rid of it for her first Audi.
Strangelandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-10, 11:40 AM   #24
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Marc, on a totally differant tangent, can you get from your part of the world Mazda Panels, eg sills as we cant find any for sale over here in the UK

Thanks

Nige

Horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Nigel Conniford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-10, 12:07 PM   #25
Gouldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcz View Post
Bland and soulless?... just about any new car, irrespective of country of origin!
i couldnt agree more, with a few eceptions most new cars are boring as hell
Gouldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-10, 02:35 PM   #26
marcz
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Conniford View Post
Marc, on a totally differant tangent, can you get from your part of the world Mazda Panels, eg sills as we cant find any for sale over here in the UK

Thanks

Nige
I think I have offered before Nigel. Email me the year of that Mazda of yours and what bits you're chasing and I'll look in to it. There's plenty of them around here. Do you know what differences there are between AWD and FWD models? I have a few friends who rally Familias who can help this end too.

Gouldy, it's damned sad, isn't it? Mind you, the current crop of crap makes our humble GM Holdens look good again
Old 29-10-10, 02:36 PM   #27
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

PM on its way

Horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Old 29-10-10, 02:44 PM   #28
marcz
Grown up member

marc@dairally.net will work a bit better
Old 29-10-10, 02:44 PM   #29
Gouldy

your right marcz. vauxhalls over here have been trying desperately with the VXR range which are brilliant if you love depriciation and torque steer!!!

one of the best they have released is the Monaro which is obviously a PONTIAC GTO/ Holden monaro, other than that most of their range is pants
Gouldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-10, 02:51 PM   #30
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcz View Post
marc@dairally.net will work a bit better
Thankyou and its on its way