Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » white smoke

Old 08-01-17, 06:31 PM   #11
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

This threads getting very complicated. I also believe if it's foggy out there you get fog out of the exhaust. There is some truth in that.

vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 08:38 PM   #12
newsh
Grown up member

Mmm. If the car hasn't been driven for a long time it will takes a good few miles to get all the condensation out of the exhaust.
newsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 08:48 PM   #13
lenweb
Newbie!
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks to everyone for your replies and advice. Will have a play and see how it goes, but it's definitely been a 'white' xmas at this house!
Cheers
lenweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 10:03 PM   #14
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroAuto View Post
Brake fluid being drawn in via the servo?
Very interesting.. (Already looked at Mr Isimmo's idea before now but no joy) no thread hijack intended but I've got the same on one of mine, no lost oil or coolant, no oil on the plugs, will run all day with no weird performance, very definitely white smoke, not a hint of blue and smells kind of like burnt oil but not really, hard to explain. Hmm! Will get the sherlock holmes goggles out one day and update here for reference.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 10:45 PM   #15
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Auto trans fluid and anti freeze give off white smoke when burned inside an engine I believe.
Also, white and grey/blue can look remarkably similar to each other on cold mornings where steam and the offending fluid can mix together as VDT suggests. I know this is very 'un' pc and very environmentally unfriendly, but how long ago did the car get a proper, bollock breaking 4+ hour, crusty killer fry up with full on blaster bates at the end? Sadly, aunt daisy, slightly tickly, tickly, 20 minutes 'around the block' once a fortnight really isn't the design behaviour of Audi, it's all about regular, and complete heat soak of all the components. So fluids, metal objects (gearbox, block, head and gaskets etc) breath and learn to live with each other. Regular use, as expensive as it may seem, is the secret to longevity.
Old 09-01-17, 12:10 AM   #16
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

^^^^^

Thats my initial feeling as it's been standing for a long time and it's quite normal to see a certain but constant amount of steam emitting in cold weather that lingers a little but quickly disappears for these V6 engines. Owned 3 still have 2 an AAH and ABC,all impeccably serviced.

We need an answer to the question earlier.Does the "white smoke condensate against a cold plate? As Issimo mentioned about the I5 turbo, crankcase ventilation could be playing up which causes white smoke to come out of the exhaust at all times of the year be it hot or cold and stinks quite obviously,.........and most likely of oil burning. If this white smoke doesn't stink nasty then it's probably nothing to worry about and just a good italian tune up is all that needed. Seriously...... a lot of potential or perceived problems can just disappear after a good run,and a good run means at least 30 - 40 miles at motorway speeds,and nice hot temps. Do this twice over consecutive days or do and 60 - 80 miles run on the motorway in one hit. If after this the situation hasn't resolved itself it then points that not all is well.

This is assuming that your thermostat is working properly?? If not could also be the cause of excessive steam.
Old 09-01-17, 02:55 AM   #17
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Sorry to question the elders but I'd seriously be doing a leak-down test of the cooling system before a 80 mile rip. (and checking what the oil pressure is doing hot and cold)

White 'smoke' at idle + audi v6 cheese gasket syndrome? They can blow gasses into the coolant system while under load, and coolant into the combustion chamber at idle, because of the changing pressure differential. If you want to give it a rip go ahead though!
Old 09-01-17, 08:34 AM   #18
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenweb View Post
..........oil & coolant levels seem OK.
As already mentioned, car been sitting awhile and has it really had a seriously long drive with an Italian Tune-Up thrown in?!
If it is driving ok, isn't overheating, isn't rattling or knocking, has sufficient oil pressure(it'll have a gauge yes?), and you're keeping a close eye on fluid levels, then I'd be for continuing to just use it whilst monitoring the above.

The brake-fluid being sucked through the servo pipe would likely only show after going round a corner as fluid would just sit/gather in the servo until it was up to the level of the pipe........easy check though, just remove the nuts holding the master cylinder to the servo, pull it forward a bit and you should be able to see if there's brake fluid sloshing about in there.

John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 10:39 AM   #19
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Missfire,.............lenweb has already driven quote "a fair distance" and never reported anything untoward just white smoke at idle which is most likely due to being sat for a long time. He reported no loss of oil or coolant and never reported it wouldn't start or run properly,which suggests the engine has sufficient pressure and runs well enough. It could possibly be valve stem seals but that shouldn't put anyone of taking the car for a good run to get heat in there to expel any condensation from the crankcase or the exhaust system,which would be my first port of call. If it's the valve seals there's lots of cars running around doing thousands of miles a year with bad seals. So,................. i would take the car for an 80 mile run which were i live is easy without being more than 6 miles from home,just back and forth on the M25 a couple junctions, and just keep looping back and forth whilst keeping an eye on oil pressure and water temperature gauges.

Last edited by vorsprung durch technik; 09-01-17 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-01-17, 11:07 AM   #20
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi there, absolutely not questioning anything said above, you are all correct, and life is too short for debates like this, however as water expands to 1700 times it's volume when it goes to steam you wouldn't necesarilly notice a drop in coolant if it's a pinhole leak in the head gasket.

Take note that Tony states the facts and only the facts, not speculation, or previous experience, this is a remote diagnosis and is someone elses property, that's all I'm saying.