Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Coupe, recovering door panels

Old 06-03-17, 06:03 PM   #21
AdrianH
Grown up member

I did the headlining in my daughters Coupe and to be honest the actual fabric of the lining wasn't worth using once I'd taken it off, even though I was very careful. You can buy headlining material on rolls in various shades of grey, on which the lining fabric is already bonded to the foam. I sprayed the glue onto the weird, fibrous material the headlining 'board' is made from, and just carefully rolled the new material onto it. Apart from one tiny crease it looks great, and was actually pretty easy as Audi jobs go.I did find a good procedure with pics online, which helped enormously. Trickiest part was getting upper seatbelt mount slidy-thing lined up properly. Anyone not an actual Audi headlining spotter wouldn't know the new lining wasn't OEM.
AdrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-17, 07:08 PM   #22
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
I did the headlining in my daughters Coupe and to be honest the actual fabric of the lining wasn't worth using once I'd taken it off, even though I was very careful. You can buy headlining material on rolls in various shades of grey, on which the lining fabric is already bonded to the foam. I sprayed the glue onto the weird, fibrous material the headlining 'board' is made from, and just carefully rolled the new material onto it. Apart from one tiny crease it looks great, and was actually pretty easy as Audi jobs go.I did find a good procedure with pics online, which helped enormously. Trickiest part was getting upper seatbelt mount slidy-thing lined up properly. Anyone not an actual Audi headlining spotter wouldn't know the new lining wasn't OEM.

Now this is very interesting, has it been done a while now ? sounds like you did a great job

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-17, 08:15 PM   #23
AdrianH
Grown up member

Here's the procedure:

http://www.tvr-cerbera.net/Public/Au...ing/Index.html

IIRC I got the lining material from here:

http://www.automobiletrim.com/headlining.html

I bought far too much of the stuff, now have a big roll cluttering up the garage "in case I get another Coupe for daughter #2." Only just got enough of the spray glue though, I'd get five cans next time, because I also used it to glue the whole retrimmed panel back to the roof.

Did it about a year ago, seems fine so far, I'll post a pic when I get the chance.
Old 06-03-17, 08:20 PM   #24
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Here's the procedure:

I bought far too much of the stuff, now have a big roll cluttering up the garage "in case I get another Coupe for daughter #2." Only just got enough of the spray glue though, I'd get five cans next time, because I also used it to glue the whole retrimmed panel back to the roof.

Did it about a year ago, seems fine so far, I'll post a pic when I get the chance.
Thanks for that yes i would be very interested in seeing any photo's of it finished

Old 26-06-17, 02:27 PM   #25
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Here's the procedure:

You forgot about pic's Adrian, would like to see them as David, myself, and others want to do the headlining's when we can afford to
Old 26-06-17, 02:45 PM   #26
AdrianH
Grown up member

I'd forgotten all about that –*sorry! I'll take some tonight. Warning –*the car is my daughter's and the interior therefore looks like the inside of a rubbish bin.
Old 26-06-17, 02:46 PM   #27
AdrianH
Grown up member

By the way the whole job only cost a few quid, probably less than £50.
Old 26-06-17, 02:51 PM   #28
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
I'd forgotten all about that –*sorry! I'll take some tonight. Warning –*the car is my daughter's and the interior therefore looks like the inside of a rubbish bin.

my wife's is the same

Can never get my hands on it to sort it !

Old 26-06-17, 02:52 PM   #29
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
By the way the whole job only cost a few quid, probably less than £50.

You are making me feel better and better about this job

Old 26-06-17, 08:30 PM   #30
Cynical26
Grown up member

I genuinely hated doing mine. Was ok removing and them refitting the scrim backing. The leather top finish was a pin in the ass!

Honestly, save half the hastle and buy the finished material with the foam backing attached.

Gluing the edges makes a right mess!
Cynical26 is offline   Reply With Quote