Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Starter motor issues

Old 08-01-18, 10:02 AM   #1
rangerovering
Grown up member

Default Starter motor issues

Hi

Got problems with the b4, turn the key and just get a click from the starter. It was intermittent for a few weeks and was behaving ok, then at the weekend stopped starting completely.

Is a strip clean and regrease likely to fix this or do I need a new solenoid/starter? The engine still turned over strongly when it was starting so I assume the brushes will be ok.

Any advice welcome 👍

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rangerovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-18, 12:38 PM   #2
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Maybe low voltage at solenoid wire.....ign switch issue?
But, would be worth removing all cables at starter, clean and refit.....same goes for earth cables, will do no harm.
If it starts to do the fault a lot you could give the solenoid a live direct from the battery and thus bypassing the ign switch......if it then cranks, it's likely the switch.
Brushes in starter could also be worn though?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-18, 02:21 PM   #3
msh
4 ring whore!

Either solenoid or brushes. Test - just short both solenoid nut terminals with, let's say, pliers - if the starter motor starts to turn - solenoid - if no luck - brushes.

Condition of brushes doesn't really affect performance of the starter until contact cannot be maintained or contacts are brown enough from sparking. Alternative chance, when starter motor has been recently refurbished with aftermarket parts is that possibly brushes had excessive free play in their holders and one has become stuck. I've experienced that firsthand, solution was disassembly and brush holder adjustment, by making them tighter with pliers.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-18, 09:40 PM   #4
rangerovering
Grown up member

Well I tried checking the connections and also a direct live to the solenoid, no joy.

Spent ages with multiple different sockets and spammers and I still can’t get the right angle/position to undo the starter bolts so unfortunately I will have to send it to the garage to play with on a ramp - lying on my back doesn’t make it easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rangerovering is offline   Reply With Quote