Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Physical and mechnical help needed

Old 29-03-10, 08:11 PM   #31
Audi Derek
“Been raced and rallied”
Classic Audi Club Member

Just spoted these on the bay there for a Gt coupe so should be the ones that you need..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-Coupe-GT-...item45f1ce07bc

Audi Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-10, 09:43 PM   #32
Emjay
Man Fettler Extraodinaire
Classic Audi Club Member

thanks for the link Derek. I've taken a look but they look the same as I've taken off without the threads on the end to attach a tie rod end to. So I'm still no further forward and I don't think the ebay parts will move me on.

Either the parts catalog on VAGCAT is wrong and I've ordered the wrong TRE's

or

VAGCAT is right and I have totally the wrong tie rods fitted. I've looked at just about every coupe diagram between 81 and 89 and all show me the same set up

The good news is VAGCAT is giving me a price which suggests the Tie Rods are still available so do I chance my arm and order a set??
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-10, 10:16 PM   #33
90Quattro
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Send a message via MSN to 90Quattro

you not had much look there Emjay! just order some new ones if you have the dollar! least you know you will have the right parts fitted then!
90Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-10, 10:43 PM   #34
SteveT63
Classic Audi Club Member

HEAT HEAT HEAT! on the track rod end itself not the bar........Cherry Red, then as it cools spray WD40 on the threads, it will steam for a bit then as the metal cools, capillary action will suck the fliud down the end of the rod. Then more heat and repeat a couple of times. The rod end and the steering rod will both expand with the heat but they will cool and contract at different rates, thats when you put a spanner on the nut and the ring end of another spanner over the threads of the track rod end and twist it off....It will work, perseverance is the key. Just dont put your tongue on it top see if its hot!!!!!!!!.....Oh.... got an interior for you as well next time I see you.

Aha!!!!....You done it!!!!.......

T85 1985 90quattro I5 20vT
T81 1983 80 Sport Red
T81 1983 80 Sport Silver
SteveT63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-10, 06:01 PM   #35
Emjay
Classic Audi Club Member

reckon I'm sorted

Phoned Audi but it seems tie rods are no longer available. I was a bit surprised because it looks like the same tie rods are used on some of the B3 coupes according to part numbers. But then again this is Audi we're talking about.

So I gave Pete Reeve a call and bless him he came up with the goods within 20 minutes. Paid for and posted out tomorrow. If your'e reading this Pete, thanks a million, you're a top chap
Old 18-04-10, 11:41 AM   #36
wildoliver
Grown up member

If your still struggling then let me make your life a little easier.

Buy a large pair of record stillsons.

If you have chewed up the lock nut buy another pair, if not a well fitting bahco adjustable (not a cheapo one) or spanner will do the job.

Simply use the stillsons with a bar if necessary having wound the steering wheel round to get the arm out as far as it will go and I promise it will undo. I've never had stillsons fail they bite more the more pressure is put on.

Failing all that carefully grind the locknut off (grind almost all the way through on 2 sides then undo it, it will crack in to 2, leaving the threads intact). And it should come off easily. Failing all that and if it does fail something is badly wrong if the TRE is a female thread then carefully grind through lengthways along the thread, you won't need to cut all the way through just enough to relieve the pressure. I have never had to do either of the last 2 options.

I'd come down and do it for you but your the best part of 2 hours from me.
wildoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-10, 02:54 PM   #37
Emjay
Classic Audi Club Member

thanks for the offer but I've replaced the tie rods with new ones in the end