Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Re-shim tappets

Old 01-10-20, 09:43 AM   #11
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks for your comments guys, from a bit more research on the internet and a bit of work from a Russian translation website(!), I think I’ve discovered the following;

Up to 07/82 needs tool VW546/Hazet 2574
After 08/82 needs tool VW2078/Hazet 2547-1

There was an increase in the gap between the lifters from 38.5mm to 39.5mm in 82, hence the tool change. With that in mind the tool I’ve seen is indeed the incorrect one... I do need 2078 or 2547-1.

As Groundhog suggests, I’m located in Halifax and work at Gatwick so get about quite a bit, if there is anyone local with the tool who wants some beer tokens for a loan of it I would be open to suggestions... I don’t need to actually own the tools, just use them for a week or two whilst I get the work done! I would certainly feel happier using the tool rather than removing the cam.

Failing that if anyone does see one for sale drop me a line

No doubt as and when I do find one I’ll be back on there with daft questions...!
Sie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 01:28 PM   #12
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Mine could be available to borrow. I’m unlikely to be using them in the next two months. I don’t go over to Gatwick much, these days. My tools are located in Poole.
Old 01-10-20, 01:33 PM   #13
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Been a long time but pretty sure I used my motorcycle valve tool (suzuki gs1000 or honda cbx) to do the shims in my ur back in the early 90's, the motorcycle tools are readily available for around £10 on ebay etc., I still have a couple in my box, if you have the diameter of the camshaft I can measure the tool size to see if its suitable, sorry only got a spare 20v engine camshaft here and not sure the cam is the same diameter.
quattrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 04:16 PM   #14
Groundhog
Grown up member

Mine are near Daventry close to junction 16 M1. I have never had to do it but I guess any method that levers the bucket down enough to get the shim out could work....perhaps!
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 07:01 AM   #15
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Gents thanks for your assistance with this, PMs coming your way.
Old 19-10-20, 02:26 PM   #16
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Gents thanks for your assistance with this, I have now managed to borrow said tools, thanks massively to 'Groundhog' who has kindly lent me them.

Having a look through the Haynes, I cannot actually find my specific engine and clearances listed, but looking at what I believe to be the equivalent VW engine I have found the following with the engine warm;

Inlet :
0.20...0.30 mm

Exhaust :
0.40...0.50 mm

Sound right?

Last edited by Sie!; 19-10-20 at 02:32 PM.
Old 19-10-20, 07:26 PM   #17
Groundhog
Grown up member

Yes that’s correct all the VW and Audi’s were the same.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 06:47 PM   #18
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Well a day off work and time to have a look at this....

Whipped the cam cover off to find an odd situation, after all this the bloody thing has hydraulic tappets!!

I can find no reference anywhere to the DS ever being fitted with hydraulic tappets, and certainly not as early as my car, from the research Ive done Audi used them from August 1985 (mine was first register May 85).

The cam shaft had the letter Y and 026 on it.

Can I assume the engine has received a different head at some point in its life? I know the engine number hasn't changed since manufacture.

Last edited by Sie!; 20-10-20 at 06:50 PM.
Old 20-10-20, 09:10 PM   #19
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

It's possible another head has gone on.

It's more likely though that the tooling for hydraulic heads started before Aug 85 and your car was a recipient of a later style head.

The engine number listed for Aug 85 starts at DS 343512. May 85 was DS316909

Is your number between those two ?
Old 20-10-20, 10:43 PM   #20
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
It's possible another head has gone on.

It's more likely though that the tooling for hydraulic heads started before Aug 85 and your car was a recipient of a later style head.

The engine number listed for Aug 85 starts at DS 343512. May 85 was DS316909

Is your number between those two ?
Ah that’s interesting... mine is DS298110 so guess tallies with the construction dates you gave above given it was first registered in May.

I am genuinely surprised if it has received a different head, I never thought it had been apart to that extent before, doesn’t look like it, but it is 35 year old I guess.