Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » MyHermes, shower of b******s!

Old 15-09-17, 07:05 AM   #11
cjp0349
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi80fan View Post
But yeah, Hermes I don't touch with a bargepole any more. They always pull that one.

I've had recent success via Parcel2go + Yodel24, and Parcel2go + Parcelforce.
As I've warned on here before DO NOT use Parcelforce for car parts as they do not insure/compensate for anything 'automotive', period

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=36018

Last edited by cjp0349; 15-09-17 at 07:08 AM.
cjp0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-17, 08:10 AM   #12
audi80fan
Classic Audi Club Member

In that case I was very lucky this time then. Was some ellipsoid headlights too, to a guy in the centre of London!
audi80fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-17, 09:12 AM   #13
brianb
Newbie!

The only reason items get damaged by couriers is because they havnt been packaged appropriately so as when they do play football with them they are still in one piece

I see it everyday at work

How did you package that tailight section out of interest?
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-17, 11:32 AM   #14
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

^^^^

Agree,most peoples idea of packaging precious items up is woeful. I sent a B3 90 20V rear light panel to Australia, got to be 3/4 years ago now, so same sort of size which was firstly bubble wrapped heavily then wrapped up in 2 layers using 3 ply cardboard (thick) which made it immensely strong along with loads of brown tape to secure it and Fragile tape. That was sent parcel force and didn't even arrive until 2 months later despite paying for airfreight 5 day delivery Con artists they are! Good job my reputation was good otherwise the buyer could have demanded a refund. I don't sell parts unless i'm clearing personal stuff out so just an enthusiast but i always take pictures of the packed item as proof for buyers to allay any fears they might have.

If your going to post a rare or expensive item it's best to overcompensate for the inevitable rough handling it will receive.That way there are no tears and everyones happy.

I ordered a speed controller/fan unit last week for our Worcester Bosch 24ri condensing boiler which arrived with 2 of the 3 fan suspension mounting alloy towers broken. The boxes these come out in are security sealed with just a small piece of brown paper packing inside which is totally inadequate and the contents just rattle around. So i asked the ebay shop seller to break the security seal of another box, pad out the fan unit tape that box up and place into a much bigger box with the smaller box wrapped in loads of bubble wrap that fitted tightly into the big box. Glad to say it arrived the very next day in perfect condition and i could repair our boiler and have hot water again. The moral is,......... one has to overthink packing because it will get damaged if you don't.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-17, 10:45 PM   #15
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschmallfella View Post
now they're not worth shit to either of us.
For personal use they could be glued very well with glue made up from proper colour taillight plastic dissolved in 1,2-Dichloroethane. One guy from our local audi foruim, knowing the possibilities of this method, experimented with some shattered taillights, the result was rather good, with hard to notice joints. I, upon reading and seeing the pictures, acquired one small bottle of this stuff as well, for future A90 middle taillight repair, as intact ones doesn't exist, at least over here.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-17, 11:10 PM   #16
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb View Post
The only reason items get damaged by couriers is because they havnt been packaged appropriately so as when they do play football with them they are still in one piece

I see it everyday at work

How did you package that tailight section out of interest?
Well this is how I packed it... the number plate recess was packed with a very hard foam, the type used in transport of computers, the lights were then bubble wrapped in 3 layers followed by two lenghts of 10mm thick fencing timber (for strenght on the front and back of the lights), another layer of bubble wrap and then placed inside a cardboard box used for transporting rolls of vinyl. So you see gents I was taking no chances, but they still got broken. The buyer said the box looked like it had been hit with a hatchet and that both timbers were cracked.
theschmallfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-17, 11:12 PM   #17
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
For personal use they could be glued very well with glue made up from proper colour taillight plastic dissolved in 1,2-Dichloroethane. One guy from our local audi foruim, knowing the possibilities of this method, experimented with some shattered taillights, the result was rather good, with hard to notice joints. I, upon reading and seeing the pictures, acquired one small bottle of this stuff as well, for future A90 middle taillight repair, as intact ones doesn't exist, at least over here.
I think I've seen a post on here about that, I don't think the buyer is going to repair them. I certainly will if I get the oportunity. I'd hate the waste them.
Old 16-09-17, 09:23 AM   #18
Cynical26
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin5t View Post
Cynical got some broken elipsoid headlights delivered through Hermes i think, nobody gives a monkeys about being careful handling goods anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by theschmallfella View Post
And therein lies my next problem, I have to now refund the buyer and loose the cost of the postage as well. They've sent me a claim form but I won't hold my breath.
Certainly wouldn't hold your breath. When my ellispoid headlights arrived smashed Hermes were contacted for a claim.

The reply was that they don't insure glass items. This even though the seller listed them as headlights and paid for the extra insurance when arranging the postage.

So, no money refunded, and although they'll take your glass item to post and pay to insure it, they won't actually take any responsibility for your package.

Lesson learnt
Cynical26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-17, 09:37 AM   #19
mackenzie50
Grown up member

I got a pair of Brembo brake discs badly chipped and distorted...obviously thrown from some height/distance onto concrete/tarmac ,discourtesy of DHL recently....at least they were easily replaceable...but it took the 3rd set to be damage free!!
mackenzie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-17, 02:37 PM   #20
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Well it's a costly lesson leaned and I will never use them again. But it just goes to show from the responses here that none of them can really be trusted to get our goods where we want them to go in one piece. Maybe nine times out of ten they will, but it's that one time when the item is something that isn't easily replaceable is when they let you down with a bang. Literally. A job is a job for most of these guys, I get it, the money is probably shit, the hours long and the thanks f*ck all. But it's the lack of respect for people's belongings that irks me, I always take care with other peoples property, I was brought up that way. Anyway, I've filled in their form and I'm waiting to hear what they have to say for themselves, I suspect it'll be the same answer Cynical26 got. I've emailed the lad that bought the lights to see what he wants to do with them, if he sends them back I'll see about repairing them as described by msh.