Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Audi 80 CD5S rear suspension

Old 08-12-16, 02:02 PM   #1
Wingnut
Newbie!

Default Audi 80 CD5S rear suspension

Hi all, I am having problems finding a picture or description of the rear suspension trailing arms on my 1981 Audi 80 CD5S. My car failed it's MOT on the rear suspension because the brackets that hold the suspension trailing arms to the body of the car have disintegrated and I can't find any photos of what they look like or replacement brackets/hangers. I've tried Audi Tradition, my local Audi stealer, ETKA and a Haynes manual but to no avail, I know that I'll probably have to make them myself but I need something to go by or if someone is breaking an Audi B2 I might be able to cut off & reuse or copy it and make my own but as it stands I've nothing to compare it with because both sides are rotten, any help would be very grateful!!
Thanks in advance, Lee
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 02:16 PM   #2
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Good afternoon,

I'm afraid thats a common problem area on the B2s for all FWD vehicles, be it 80/90 or Coupé, the mounts always rot where the trailing arm joins the car.

A few people including myself have had them reconstructed and more often than not you have to go through the sills to attack them properley, I know the guy who did mine about 5 years ago had to.

I've attached a diagram of the arms below but unfortunately it doesn't show the mounts, I do remember there was a website showing someone's progress with the reconstruction of a set, I'll have a look around and find them.

http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80+...5/5/500-57000/

A good bloke on here who goes by the name of Emjay had some pictures at some point of his being done, he doesn't frequent the forum as much as he used to but I'm sure if you drop him a PM he will be able to help.

A crappy job to have to get done but it's inevitable now with the age of the vehicles and something we all come up against... But if the car is good it's well worth doing!

Brgds,

Simon
Sie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 02:37 PM   #3
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Found that page!

Hope your sitting down as some of these photos are horrific, but I take my hat off to this guy and his workmanship, brilliant skills and a brilliant job he's done.

http://m.imgur.com/a/u9MBT

You know thinking about it that car rings a bell, he might even be on here.... Anyone know??

What's the story with your own vehicle then, had it long? We all love a story and a photo of two!
Sie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 05:10 PM   #4
Wingnut
Newbie!

Thank you for your reply, I thought that the only way to replace the mounts was to cut into the sill, I have already cut away around 6 inches away from the end of the offside sill and it seemed a bit excessive to be honest but that was the only way that I could get to where the bracket is mounted, I thought with it being a common place to rust that Audi would have made a couple of replacements by now. When I looked at the photos you sent me it did make me cringe, my car isn't as bad as that one in the pictures (I hope not anyway!!) but I was thinking of getting the car restored professionally because it's too much for me to try and do on my own, it needs stripping back to bare metal and repairing properly, I might get it to last longer if I can find someone to do the job right without costing a fortune.
Thanks once again, Lee
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote