Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Audi Coupe GT water ingress

Old 17-10-18, 06:02 PM   #1
Richi95
Grown up member

Default Audi Coupe GT water ingress

Hi there,

Was wondering if any one has experienced anything similar to below..

In the recent rain I found my passenger footwell soaking, towards the front of the sill, near by where the bonnet release handle is.

I checked the roof drains and they are fine.

Pulled up the carpet to dry it out and see if could see where any water ingress was coming from with someone hosing the car, but couldn't find anything.

I also sealed up the fusebox housing but made no difference.

I then removed the a pillar interior and found a puddle of water in the corner of the bottom of the wind screen. Upon investigating this, I checked the wind screen seal on the outside and found it to be damp when pealing up the sides. As a temporary fix I tried sealing it with butyl rubber sealant but I'm still getting water ingress.

Has anyone experienced any water ingress around the windscreen? It's looking like a new seal job, but I am afraid whats going to be found when the screen is removed.
Richi95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 06:14 PM   #2
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Longer you leave it the worse itll develop, really needs sorting asap especially if theres a hole under the rubber.
Try peeling it back carefully to see if you can see any signs of rust, it may just be the seal needs repositioning or sealer adding in if its a poor fit.
Also check for the water seal membrane inside the doors, if theyre poor condition itll keep leaking in no matter what else you do.
Can also be the door seals bleeding water in at the front corner, blocked scuttle drains can cause water to penetrate into the car thru the heater fan entry, and also the bonnet releasecable has a grommet that can leak.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 06:22 PM   #3
Richi95
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Longer you leave it the worse itll develop, really needs sorting asap especially if theres a hole under the rubber.
Try peeling it back carefully to see if you can see any signs of rust, it may just be the seal needs repositioning or sealer adding in if its a poor fit.
Also check for the water seal membrane inside the doors, if theyre poor condition itll keep leaking in no matter what else you do.
Can also be the door seals bleeding water in at the front corner, blocked scuttle drains can cause water to penetrate into the car thru the heater fan entry, and also the bonnet releasecable has a grommet that can leak.
Thanks for the reply 4v6. I checked the door membranes, they seemed ok though had a few rips, so i made up new ones and sealed them on properly. I also checked and sealed the release cable grommet as well. I shall inspect the scuttle drains I will have a good look around everything this weekend and report back.
Richi95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-18, 10:50 AM   #4
larry49
Grown up member

Yes I have....those leaks are so hard to find I eventually traced it to the windscreen surround, mine was a little rusty in places as a temporary fix (you will laugh) I taped over the rubber to bodywork joint with black insulation tape, it blended in and wasn't very obtrusive, the tape will stretch around the corners okay.
larry49 is offline   Reply With Quote