Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » Final edition carbriolet front seat.

Old 30-07-16, 05:53 PM   #11
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
contrary to recent discussions i think Mark mentioned (Mellis) about B4 door cards being in vinyl leather effect on the 80, our cabriolet has leather doorcards.

Posh! Can only speak from experience mate, your cab is very late and very nice and I've never had one so can't comment! Mine were from S2 avant and are definitely vinyl

Sorry to hear about the damage, hope you can get sorted. If you follow Lee's suggestion about the furniture clinic stuff post up the results, have been considering getting a kit to redo a couple of steering wheels and have heard good things about their products
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-16, 06:09 PM   #12
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi Mark,i thought i would mention it and tie it in as part of the debate we had in another thread and mention how different the "posh" late cabriolet doorcards are as part of the debate learning curve.Might help someone you never know.

It's a shame this has happened but we didn't use it for 3 months over winter and although the hardtops look great we had a tiny leak around the front rubber seal where the water gets under the seal and leaks onto the seat one drop about every 20 secs. We just put a towel in there to cope with it but obviously not good enough. From memory these seals from Audi are mahoosive money into the many hundreds of pounds. Happy to comment though that the soft top is completely and utterly waterproof. If anyones reading this and has a hardtop beware that the rubber seals aren't leaking.

Going to add a few pics of the cabby a bit later in my thread as she's still a very fine car,just that she's experiencing some leather issues.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-16, 06:43 PM   #13
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Rear bench seat.

Drivers door card.

Drivers seat. It has like the rest of it raised nobly bits a bit like bad eczema on ones skin and it's gone really stiff/hard!

Then there's this damage from the previous millionaires wife who obviously wore diamond rings and cut the leather with here left hand. !!! So the idea is .. ... ... .... get a superb condition passengers seat to replace the drivers one.Why? Because i had the pleasure of being driven on one day by the Mrs and that passenger seat was very comfortable being hardly sat in no doubt.That's how i'm thinking,would be better all round.

Hopefully that helps any one out there to show how bad it is.What do you think Lee?
Old 30-07-16, 07:36 PM   #14
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Hmmm, not sure, the leather dye stuff will help with the colour conditioning and bringing it closer to black, it'll also make the marks that aren't black more like creases, it's only (I think) £17 or so, so worth a punt, it lasts forever, I still have half a tub and I've done 3 cars with it.

The bubbling in my opinion will only be solved if you sand, fill, air spray, cure, seal and polish - there are quite a few guides on the Internet on this, or, find a local furniture clinic franchise near you and drop the seats off to have it done there, bear in mind it'll probably cost as much as a replacement seat.

Flip is that if you go the passenger seat route you'll need to rework the runners, probably by cut and weld because the seat buckle attaches to the runner. But the furniture clinic stuff will make a different toned seats match closer.

Finally, halfords sell silica / dehydration bags for a tenner, they'll probably be on sale this time of year, but I had a similar mould issue in the TT (stripped out cars collect moisture like nobodies business) but two bags solved it, all weathers, no moisture on the ceiling, no mould on the dash, air vents clean, amazing.

Hardtop seal kits are about £300 from TPS, I never had a leak on mine but it did suffer at the same point as you in a pressure wash situation - clean the drains in the rubber btw - so looked into it.

Rambling message from my phone after 3 APAs, cheers
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-16, 07:54 PM   #15
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Yeah too far gone imho to be worth messing around with it.I'm just going to have to look out for these items as in my first post and hope something turns up. If those seals kits are only £300 Lee i think i'll have to sort myself a set when i'm feeling flush. Thanks for your help mate.
Old 30-07-16, 08:00 PM   #16
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
Flip is that if you go the passenger seat route you'll need to rework the runners, probably by cut and weld because the seat buckle attaches to the runner.

Is it really that difficult?? Any links to how it's done? I was hopping it would be as simple as just unbolt the seat buckles and swap around.
Old 30-07-16, 08:13 PM   #17
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
Is it really that difficult?? Any links to how it's done? I was hopping it would be as simple as just unbolt the seat buckles and swap around.
Err, think about it, the drivers side has a left mounted seat belt holder, look at the right side of the same seat and where is the mounting point? Ha ha

Also, the pulls that allow entry to the rear seats won't be on the left side of the drivers side now, it'll then be in the centre between the two seats and the existing passenger seat will still have one also on the left, it'll look like a mistake.

You could swap the back off the original seat and put it on the passenger base but you'll still have issues with the buckle and will need to rewrite the pulley as the base cable will be on the left, not to mention seat adjuster for space and height pulley will also be reversed

Sorry for the bad news dude
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-16, 08:24 PM   #18
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

It gets worse,i never thought about all that caffufal!

How about just buy a passenger seat and take it apart for it's leather and cushions and use those to rebuild the drivers side.Should work i reckon?
Old 31-07-16, 03:53 PM   #19
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Anyone have these bits?
Old 31-07-16, 08:16 PM   #20
DGSdale
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

VDT - you can get individual panels, bolsters etc. replaced by coachtrimmers.
Look at the first page of this thread:
http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=32719
where you can see the before and after of the driver's bolster. As you know, I now own this car and can vouch that it is a bloody good job - you'd never know it had been replaced and I'd imagine black is easier to match.
2000 B4 80 2.6 Cabriolet Final Edition - Ming Blue - sold - & missed
2003 C5 A6 3.0 quattro Avant - Night Blue - current
1998 C5 A6 2.8 quattro Avant - Ming Blue - sold
1994 B4 80 2.6SE Avant - Indigo Pearl - sold - & missed
1993 B4 80 2.0 16V Sport - Gomera Green - sold
DGSdale is offline   Reply With Quote