Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Wheels & Tyres » Winter tyre conundrum?

Old 14-09-15, 07:55 PM   #1
dgacampbell
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Winter tyre conundrum?

Hey all,

Ok so I have been thinking about winter tyres lately, as the older I get the more concerned I get about things like stopping distances much more than how fast I can go round corners lol.

I'm sure more than a few of you are thinking the same with winter and threats of snow, ice, torrential rain and temperatures as low as -20c forcasted in the near future.

For my car on 15" Ronal aero's, the tyre size is 205/50/15,

Looking up winter tyres this leaves the option of 4 tyres (that I have found).

I have looked at maybe going with 195/55/15 which is only 1% out at 6mm taller tyre than the standard 195/60/14 tyre the cars came with.

Or 205/55/15 which is 2.88% out at 17mm taller than the original.

Both of those sizes give many more options for winter tyres.

What are you folk using, what is your advice opinion on the subject?

TIA

Dan.
dgacampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-15, 10:03 PM   #2
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

The general rule of thumb is to use narrower tyres for winter.

When I was looking, I would have switched to 185/55 15
Old 14-09-15, 10:11 PM   #3
SorenR
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgacampbell View Post
Hey all,

Ok so I have been thinking about winter tyres lately, as the older I get the more concerned I get about things like stopping distances much more than how fast I can go round corners lol.

I'm sure more than a few of you are thinking the same with winter and threats of snow, ice, torrential rain and temperatures as low as -20c forcasted in the near future.

For my car on 15" Ronal aero's, the tyre size is 205/50/15,

Looking up winter tyres this leaves the option of 4 tyres (that I have found).

I have looked at maybe going with 195/55/15 which is only 1% out at 6mm taller tyre than the standard 195/60/14 tyre the cars came with.

Or 205/55/15 which is 2.88% out at 17mm taller than the original.

Both of those sizes give many more options for winter tyres.

What are you folk using, what is your advice opinion on the subject?

TIA

Dan.
Modern winter tyres can be any size as long as they fit under the arches and the law. A good place to look for size would be your instruction book..

Having said that... Brand also have a lot to say... My old S4 2.7T was a true offroad monster on 225/45-17 GoodYear Eagle Ultragip GW3's but on 225/45-17 Conti TS 830 P I felt more safe having snowsocks and chains in the boot... Both sets of tyres approved for 240 Km/h as required in Germany.

For my URQuattro I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 195/65-15
SorenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-15, 10:32 PM   #4
msh
4 ring whore!

Yeah, and modern cars tend to be heavier, so that compensates for loss of grip due to less pressure per square centimeter/whatever. I don't remember what was good size for winter tyres for B3 - something like 175/65/R14 or something around that figure. I've read a lot of "wanted to look cool with wide winter tyres, ended up with no grip" stories - I think it's smarter to learn from mistakes made by others, not make the same mistakes to learn from them.

Dan, just get a set of B3 steel wheels and set of all season tyres of suitable size - unless winter in UK has become more pronounced than 2011/2012 which I witnessed - sometimes a bit of snow and temperatures around 0 degrees. Over here it seems that good car owner should have three sets of wheels - one with summer tyres, no comments needed, one with all season tyres, for winter, and one with winter tyres in case if winter arrives
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-15, 10:53 PM   #5
SorenR
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
Yeah, and modern cars tend to be heavier, so that compensates for loss of grip due to less pressure per square centimeter/whatever. I don't remember what was good size for winter tyres for B3 - something like 175/65/R14 or something around that figure. I've read a lot of "wanted to look cool with wide winter tyres, ended up with no grip" stories - I think it's smarter to learn from mistakes made by others, not make the same mistakes to learn from them.

Dan, just get a set of B3 steel wheels and set of all season tyres of suitable size - unless winter in UK has become more pronounced than 2011/2012 which I witnessed - sometimes a bit of snow and temperatures around 0 degrees. Over here it seems that good car owner should have three sets of wheels - one with summer tyres, no comments needed, one with all season tyres, for winter, and one with winter tyres in case if winter arrives
Can I just shoot this into the ground - NO ALL SEASON TYRES - they are equally BAD all year round!

If anything, have a look at the new GoodYear CrossClimate. They are marketed as above average summer tyres with winter capabilities. Tests are promising allthough awaiting real winter experiences
Old 15-09-15, 09:07 AM   #6
msh
4 ring whore!

All year round? Well, I guess they should be perfect for winters we're currently experiencing - temperatures a bit above 0 degrees and so no snow and no ice No doubt that proper summer and winter tyres are way better for driving when temperature is 20c or in snow/ice, respectively.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-15, 11:31 AM   #7
Benjamino
Grown up member

I swear by winter tyres - we've had them for several years now on varying vehicles.

Current smoke is an A5 Sportback quattro, and the usual summer tyres are 255/35/19s and then I step them down to the same rolling radius winter tyres 225/50/18s (I think as they're currently in storage until the time comes).

I honestly can't believe what I have driven through with these on, cruising past stuck/stranded Range Rover Vogues, Range Rover Sports, etc, all clad in lawn-roller width summer tyres!

Anyway - if you can afford them, get some. In Germany they are a legal reguirement
Benjamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-15, 12:18 PM   #8
Benjamino
Grown up member

A handy tool if you are thinking about changing tyre sizes...

http://www.willtheyfit.com/
Benjamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-15, 12:55 PM   #9
SorenR
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamino View Post
A handy tool if you are thinking about changing tyre sizes...

http://www.willtheyfit.com/
I use this, it show you old/new side by side.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Old 16-09-15, 07:34 AM   #10
dgacampbell
Classic Audi Club Member

Thumbs up

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies,

Food for thought indeed.

Ok, so all season tyres are a no go, btdt, not on this car but on my a4 tdi many years back, second worst set of tyres I have ever used!

I have a still got my 14" steel wheels, the problem is they don't fit over the G60 brake callipers, so kind of stuck with the 15's.............

I survived 3 Scottish winters driving a 90 2.2E with 205/50/15 summer tyres and got everywhere I needed to go, some pretty steep hills too and no problems, although coming to a stop was sometimes a much closer call than is good for ones blood pressure!

That aside, for peace of mind knowing I have done all I can for the safety of my car (sod other road users ) dictates that winter tyres are a must!

The dilemma now is do I stick with the same size and the limited number of tyres available which are listed below.......

Kumho I-Zen KW23 205/50 R15 86 H

Hankook Winter I-Cept Evo W310 205/50 R15 86 H

Semperit Speed-Grip 2 205/50 R15 86 H

Toyo Snowprox S953 205/50 R15 86 H

If I was to stay at this size I would be leaning towards the Hankook's, as I am on their Ventus Prime 2 summer tyres at the moment, and am very happy with them. More research must be done as they may or may not make a good winter tyre?

The other option is going 195/55/15 which gives too many tyre options to list (36)!

The problem here is fitting a non standard tyre size, means informing the insurance company of a modification
How this would affect my premium, I don't know yet, I might actually give them a call and see what they have to say, as that might solve the dilemma for me lol.

Thoughts?

Tia

Dan.
dgacampbell is offline   Reply With Quote