Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » white smoke

Old 07-01-17, 08:32 PM   #1
lenweb
Newbie!
Classic Audi Club Member

Angry white smoke

Hi
I have a 2.8 coupe, engine code AAH. I'm no mechanic, so I'm after some advice.
There's a lot of white smoke on tick-over, yet oil & coolant levels seem OK.
Could anything else be causing this?
I've changed the oil and added valve additive, as the car had been stood for some time.
Any help would be appreciated.
lenweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 09:25 PM   #2
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

When you say "white smoke" do you mean literally white smoke which is completely different to steam. Which are you referring to?
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 09:46 PM   #3
lenweb
Newbie!
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Like I say, I'm no mechanic, but I would say it's a smoke, that varies in density. Even when I've driven the car a fair distance, as soon as you leave it on tick-over, the smoke re-appears. Could it be it just needs a really good run?
Cheers
Old 07-01-17, 09:52 PM   #4
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

What your describing sounds the opposite to what i would expect especially at this time of year with these engines.It's normal for them to have steam wafting out but not normal what your describing. Why don't you try putting a cold plates against this white smoke and see if it condensates,if yes it's condensation from steam if not then sound like it could be oil burning.
Old 07-01-17, 10:30 PM   #5
lenweb
Newbie!
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks very much for your advice. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how I go on.
Cheers. Len
Old 07-01-17, 11:11 PM   #6
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Unburnt fuel if you're burning diesel in it. head gaskets are made of cheese on these, but hope not, any steam cleaned spark plugs?
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 08:38 PM   #7
newsh
Grown up member

Mmm. If the car hasn't been driven for a long time it will takes a good few miles to get all the condensation out of the exhaust.
newsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 08:34 AM   #8
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenweb View Post
..........oil & coolant levels seem OK.
As already mentioned, car been sitting awhile and has it really had a seriously long drive with an Italian Tune-Up thrown in?!
If it is driving ok, isn't overheating, isn't rattling or knocking, has sufficient oil pressure(it'll have a gauge yes?), and you're keeping a close eye on fluid levels, then I'd be for continuing to just use it whilst monitoring the above.

The brake-fluid being sucked through the servo pipe would likely only show after going round a corner as fluid would just sit/gather in the servo until it was up to the level of the pipe........easy check though, just remove the nuts holding the master cylinder to the servo, pull it forward a bit and you should be able to see if there's brake fluid sloshing about in there.

John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 10:39 AM   #9
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Missfire,.............lenweb has already driven quote "a fair distance" and never reported anything untoward just white smoke at idle which is most likely due to being sat for a long time. He reported no loss of oil or coolant and never reported it wouldn't start or run properly,which suggests the engine has sufficient pressure and runs well enough. It could possibly be valve stem seals but that shouldn't put anyone of taking the car for a good run to get heat in there to expel any condensation from the crankcase or the exhaust system,which would be my first port of call. If it's the valve seals there's lots of cars running around doing thousands of miles a year with bad seals. So,................. i would take the car for an 80 mile run which were i live is easy without being more than 6 miles from home,just back and forth on the M25 a couple junctions, and just keep looping back and forth whilst keeping an eye on oil pressure and water temperature gauges.

Last edited by vorsprung durch technik; 09-01-17 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-01-17, 11:07 AM   #10
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi there, absolutely not questioning anything said above, you are all correct, and life is too short for debates like this, however as water expands to 1700 times it's volume when it goes to steam you wouldn't necesarilly notice a drop in coolant if it's a pinhole leak in the head gasket.

Take note that Tony states the facts and only the facts, not speculation, or previous experience, this is a remote diagnosis and is someone elses property, that's all I'm saying.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote