Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » CARB ICING on GT5S (Weber fitted)

Old 21-12-07, 08:08 AM   #1
knobstar
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default CARB ICING on GT5S (Weber fitted)

OK guys n gals - I'm bricking it! I've got to drive from Bath to Bradford at 3.30 this afternoon and I think the Audi's got a serious case of carb icing. Or atleast I think she has!

Got nearly all the way home to Bristol from Bath yesterday (13 miles with a nice bit of dual carriageway in the middle) and it starts to stutter after the dual carriageway. Worse on part-throttle (could rev the nuts off it with no load and second butterfly opening), eventually dying completely even with my foot to the floor. Left her a bit, say, 5 mins, then restarted and away we went again - presumably when the ice had melted

Same again this morning but in reverse (coming to work) apart from I didn't have the time to stop so had to drive her mostly on full throttle, slipping the clutch like mad with a good dose of bunny-hopping in there too - looked like a right tool.

Question is - how do I sort it? She seems to be running very cool at the moment and takes ages to get a good stabilised idle. I put a u-tube of piping on the inlet and outlet of the inlet manifold where it used to connect to the auto-choke on the pierberg and that's not leaking. I don't know about the hedgehog heater thing although its connections (power) seem positive enough. The only questionable item for me is the vacuum-operated(?) preheat pipe valve/diaphragm thing as it's a bit gunged up - can I just bypass this permanently by stabbing the (what feels like) camera film so as hot air is let through all the time? Can I blank off some of the radiator with cardboard or summat such that she runs hotter and hence de-ices btter due to hotter coolant?!?

PLEAAAAAAAAAASE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
knobstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-07, 09:31 AM   #2
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

Its a bugger isn't it....

Sounds like carb icing I used to have on my Golf Mk2 with a Weber.

I would try as you suggest, blank off a bit of the rad, and also it sounds like your "flap" is stuck to the "cold" setting (i.e. open to the front of the car not off the hot air from the exhaust manifold shield.

Can you take off the vacuum pipe that should operate it and suck to see if it moves? Can you free it up by hand?

Whereabouts are you in Bath/Bristol? I'm leaving Gloucester about 1220 and could come and poke it with a stick (I'm no expert but 2 heads might help).

It does (I found out) depend on the weather conditions, I only had it happen 2-3 times in a year. Last night's cold AND foggy weather did it. If it is cold and frosty it didn't happen. Give me a text/call on 07971 661221 if you want to meet up. I have a limited set of tools in the 100.

Bet you looked a right tit pogoing up Brislington Hill....

Have you got the heater thing off the pierburg (not the hedgehog, but a small "button" thing that you bolt/screw onto the Weber)???

Steve
pimpdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-07, 10:52 AM   #3
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

The 5 pots do run cool compared to 4 pots - don't know why.... on my 80CL there is a cardboard flap behind the grill that you can close a bit.

Steve

PS small world eh???
PPS why "knobstar"???
pimpdriver is offline   Reply With Quote