Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » GUIDE: Fitting B5 S4 leather rears to a B3 Audi 80

Old 10-10-12, 01:40 PM   #1
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Default GUIDE: Fitting B5 S4 leather rears to a B3 Audi 80

Take some B5 Audi S4 rear leathers and a B3 Audi 80 - then follow this:

B5 S4 split fold rear leathers - I tried to fit these before and had issues with using the donor vehicle clamps. The main issue being that when using those clamps to retain the split/fold functionality, it makes the seats 1.5cm too wide for the space and the wheel arches force the seats forward - I got round this by discarding the lower seat clamps and modifying some of the existing components...

Step 1: Remove the old seats

Step 2: Cable tie the new seats into the vacated holes from the old seats - they are offset - longer term I will be making some smaller Z brackets to fix this permanently, but for now they are secure.

Step 3: Unbolt and move the petrol tank back to allow access to the firewall and drill safely without perforating it!

Step 4: remove the gravity filter off the rubber holder (harder than it looks)

Step 5: unscrew the feeder pipe retainer, remove the 'O' ring from the rubber seal and push it through into the car

Step 5: line up and drill some holes in the firewall where you want the rear seat central holder to go - measure it right so the top of the seats sit flush with the carpeted parcel shelf - I used cable ties to check it first then switched to bolting it in once it had been tested to work in the right place. At this point I have to admit that I can't remember if I used the holder from the Passat I broke or the S4 - they look quite different, but this one sits lower - if you are thinking of doing this drop me a line and show me what you have, ill cross reference it.

Step 6: Remove the back cover for the ski bag as it bulges out and doesnt sit on the firewall flush

Step 7: The seats should now fold up onto the firewall and rest flush with the top of the
parcel shelf (if you have done Step 5 right )

The bolsters will need the bottom retaining clips cutting off as there is no recess in the wheel arch for them to sit in. I tried to find another way of doing it but to no avail. I also had to fold down the top tabs because the firewall is blocking it from sitting flush. I will look into cutting smaller slits into the firewall when I get my grinder back. These bolters really sit flush and are difficult to move because of the side pressure from the seats into the wheel arches/pillar so if I dont get round to it, no biggie - they certainly wont fall out.

Step 8: drill some small pilot holes through the top of the rear seats and put some washers on them. The rear of the seats is either hard plastic or wood, but certainly not metal - I used metal screws anyway because they were a lot fatter than the wood ones I had and have a tighter thread. Make sure you get someone to push the seats onto the firewall while you do this otherwise they move and you will have secured them in the wrong place

Step 9: Step back and admire your handiwork!

1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 04:46 PM   #2
slacky
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

They look spot on Lee
Excellent write up as well
Them b3 rears available then ?

90q-Cab.
2.3E-Ur-S6
-b2-80 Sport
Member 111
slacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 07:00 PM   #3
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacky View Post
They look spot on Lee
Excellent write up as well
Them b3 rears available then ?
B3 front and rears available - black satin, in good nick although usual drivers bolster is softening a little.

interested? drop me a PM mate...
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-21, 02:47 PM   #4
Xtremer
Newbie!

Hello. Do you still have the photobucket album? I'm interested in swapping the b4 rear seats with b5 ones and i could use some inspiration . Thanks a lot !
Also, i'm guessing that you couldn't fold them, no? Not that it would have been of any use anyway
Xtremer is offline   Reply With Quote