Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Coilovers / adjustable platforms..

Old 24-09-11, 06:41 PM   #51
doninphi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I'm willing to try! I'm assuming you're talking about spare coilovers? What condition are they in? I'm looking for a set so I can go lower out back...

Are they similar fitment to a mk2 golf? A guy on retrorides has put mk2 golf rear struts onto his b2...

I make vinyl STICKERS! Pm me for any design you want...
doninphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-11, 11:16 AM   #52
doninphi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Finally made some progress... and shock horror Greybum, who ever made these coilovers up did a spot on job!

Spot the difference?

Yep, the new coils I got given when I bought the car, not only have the adjustable platforms, springs, and are in good condition... but whoever made them shortened the tubes too!!!!!!

They are 50mm shorter, at 110mm between the base and the steering arm. Thats 50mm less than the stock 160mm!

RESULT!!!

I'll be painting these up and slapping them on then! (Once I've got my subframe off, powder coated and back on that is!)

WARNING: This also means that in a previous post, when I explained the length of the damper I removed, this is a damper which is shorter for these coilovers. Shame I only have the one, a call to Greybum once I finish writing this to see if he has the other damper kicking about! lol. However, that also means that if you shorten your tubes 50mm that is the damper lengh you require!

Old 16-10-11, 07:47 PM   #53
doninphi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Anyone seen these before? Click the pic in the top right...

http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis...h3qihotg80ks41

IF they fit, they'd be sex on legs, bet they cost some though!

Old 10-12-11, 09:24 PM   #54
doninphi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Right, now got all my suspension off, and measured the new coilover to the stock unit.

Same length so not shortened as I thought. Damn.

So I've now got a choice,

a. put in the 'sport dampers' which came off the car with the coilover units as they are. (The dampers are TA Technix SportStoR Dampers)

or

b. shorten the coilover unit by 50mm and buy shorter dampers to fit.

hmmm. I've pushed the dampers that came off it all the way home, and they do, therefore it cannot have been sitting at the bottom of the dampers before, maybe sat on the bump stops.

So, which top mounts gained travel? I seem to remember one make of top mount gained you 10mm of travel? If I get them, and cut bump stops down a bit then I'd gain 20mm of travel.

Or I cut down the tubes and gain 50mm of travel and less bump steer, which seems extreme but will probably give me the best outcome for driveability or adjustability in the end.

AAAAAHHHH! THIS IS A NIGHTMARE?

Old 10-12-11, 09:25 PM   #55
doninphi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Oh, and I've got some 70mm drop springs from the front now for sale if anyone needs some, I'll have dampers to match if I don't use them too.

Old 10-12-11, 09:29 PM   #56
doninphi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

These are the dampers I've got:
http://www.tatechnix.de/tatechnix/gx...typ-81-89.html

I've sent the company an email asking if they sell 50mm shorter dampers. (310mm units)

Old 11-06-12, 08:16 PM   #57
doninphi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Resurecting this. I'm having great fun, here is some maths.

With my coilover platforms on I'M F**KED.

Here is the maths to fry some brains.

As the car sat before, 70mm drop springs, I had 0mm travel, thats right, nothing. The strut top sat on the bump stop. I couldn't handle that and wanted another 10 to 15mm drop so I fitted the coilovers that someone had made up which came with the car.

Ok, so FWD to the current day, platforms on, springs in, engine and oil etc.. back in so almost kerb weight bar no water or rad.

The car now sits like this!!:

That is with the platforms at their LOWEST.

So I took some measurements.

Lengh of spring under car weight = 170mm
Length of travel left in the damper = 50mm
Distance between arch and tyre which I aim to loose = 85mm

Oh, that doesn't work now does it?!

So, the reason for me not even being able to get to the 70mm drop I achieved before is all down to top mounts. The new top mounts to centre the thinner springs have a collar which sit inside them, which is 10mm tall, so thats a 10mm loss. Then the spring itself sits on the inside of the 'spiral' which the usual springs sit up against, which is another 10mm. So adding that up I've lost 20mm of travel with the coilovers, and only have 50mm travel left. (BUT A MASSIVE DROP NEEDED)

Yep, I'M F**KED.

So, what's the plan? I could drop the damper tube towards the drive shaft for a measly 15mm max, or I can cut and shut the damper tube. At 362mm long at present the tube is very long. I intend to cut out 62mm out of the damper tube, and find an aftermarket damper which is 62mm shorter. Then run a 20mm shorter spring to have about 30mm of travel, (comfortable to stop the wheel hitting the arch)

SO, with that in mind, some maths with a mate who is a suspension guru, led me to needing 1600lbs springs, but to get a 1" deflection that I need to drop the 20mm I need, if I run a 7" spring at 600lbs it will sit at 6" tall. Gaining me the drop that I want.

These fit the bill: the 7A0600
http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/sp22570.htm

So, then dampers, the only company that seems to do really varied dampers are Gaz, looking at their online catalogue if I get some 11" tubes, with 17" extension, I get about 6" stroke. Which will be enough (I think, need to double check/measure) to get my top mount in, which is about 3" and give me enough travel for a 30mm negative and 30mm positive movement in the up and down of the wheel.

The units are the GAZ GAI damper inserts, 170/100b12 is the model no in the downloadable catalogue.
http://www.gazshocks.com/products/dampers#gazgai

You follow?

I hope all of that makes sense. I also hope that someone at a show says to me "I like how that Audi sits, stance is easy though isnt it." So I can then punch them in the face.

Old 11-06-12, 08:44 PM   #58
90Quattro
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Send a message via MSN to 90Quattro

just mashed my head!! Know we modified the top mounts on my Mk 2 gold to get another 10mm drop but keep the travel can't remmeber how now tho..
90Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-12, 09:46 AM   #59
doninphi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I'm about to try this soon to finish the car.

I really hope I get it right otherwise it could be costly. Going to measure it all again before I order!!

Old 21-10-12, 09:53 AM   #60
doninphi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I'm about to try this soon to finish the car.

I really hope I get it right otherwise it could be costly. Going to measure it all again before I order!!