Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Rear ARB on 86 90 quattro

Old 15-09-13, 11:12 PM   #31
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy10v View Post
Yup, driving on tarmac. I assume gravel is somewhere between tarmac and snow? In snow it is much easier to kick the back end out. You can do the same thing on tarmac but need to be much more aggressive/and/or have much more power to break it loose.

Getting the car properly aligned makes a huge difference to handling! (Though bushes need to be good or you get changes in alignment as they deflect)

Never tried front ball joints in the rear.

If you use all factory parts (especially used ones) the nobody will notice unless they know the cars very well. Also as there were early cars with rear arb, then ones without, then arbs again, also different diameters.
Well, gravel is relatively slippery and quite often bumpy... Difference between FWD and properly set up quattro just because rear has independent suspension as well is HUGE. Mine instead wants to start powerslide [or maybe weaknessslide? ] in sharper curves beginning from 70 kmph

Front ball joints in rear - what about that picture - isn't that yours?

As for ability of latvian technical inspection inspector to spot modifications - don't worry - unlike our lituanian neighbours, latvians generally prefer german cars, so german car proportion is relatively big [of course, the old quattros and 80's cars are slowly dying out] and technical inspection inspectors have enough knowledge what could have been installed in popular models. Also, suspension and brake system modifications are strictly forbidden [with exception of fitting the same manufacturer different model brake master cylinder and booster], which means that B2 with split struts and G60's is a no go, and the only reason why I did my Typ8A front suspension upgrade is that I could claim that the B3 bodyshell had that type of suspension, and only rear ARB I could fit to my car, of course, comes together with Typ8A/B4 CQ rear axle. Engine upgrades also requires the engine to be no more than 30% more powerful than most powerful engine originally available in such model [power determined by code on engine block] due to which AFAIK we have no road legal B2/B3/B4 with V8 engine, as, unfortunately, there was no small and weak Audi V8 engine...
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-13, 07:14 AM   #32
Val
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
Also, suspension and brake system modifications are strictly forbidden
Suspension mods are not forbidden. Brake are...

Both mods are connected meaning you can't install b2 brakes onto b3 suspension vice versa but why not? :d

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
which means that B2 with split struts and G60's is a no go

Chickens can downgrade to appropriate 256mm setup for your struts and nobody will notice brakes are not b2 ones.

Last edited by Val; 16-09-13 at 07:23 AM.
Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-13, 08:14 AM   #33
msh
4 ring whore!

...and that was said by person, who has two sets of struts - split struts with G60's for most of the year and one piece struts with smaller brakes for winter and technical inspection
Old 16-09-13, 08:23 AM   #34
Val
Grown up member

Wrong.
One set of 2-piece struts everyday incl MOT.
Old 16-09-13, 08:45 AM   #35
msh
4 ring whore!

Fine. Next time ask the inspector "hey, I installed these struts from a B3, is it fine?"
Old 16-09-13, 10:25 PM   #36
Val
Grown up member

Which ones?
8B in rear, 8C in front.

Back to the topic.