Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Digital TV broadcast-

Old 29-08-17, 05:43 PM   #11
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

The fee in itself is not huge. But there should be some obligation on the part of the government (aren't they meant to be our representatives, looking after us, after all) to provide the actual service?
Old 29-08-17, 05:53 PM   #12
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

There is an obligation on the government and this government are taking the BBC to task by putting pressure on them to cut back and only just 2 weeks ago forcing them to name their top paid staff and how much they earn.

Then again i know so many of you don't watch tv and especially current affairs and it's no wonder why so many are out of touch.Who would have thought Jeremy Vine gets paid 750,000 a year, great as he is!
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 06:13 PM   #13
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

And another thing despite the BBC providing many cultural, scientific and cultural dramas etc etc and appreciated they are, they are far to left and liberal leaning in their political stance.The BBC news content is taken straight out of the Independent newspaper, fact! It's no wonder we don't get to see or hear much on the mass migration brought to Europe with those of a completely different culture thinking it's just fine to gang rape young European women. The BBC won't report it and in this regard the BBC stinks! It's far to politically correct to the point of dusting it all under the carpet.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 06:33 PM   #14
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

True, its often the case even by switching over to the news on Channel 4 after the 6 o'clock news on the Beeb, you will get a slightly different take on things, exposing the bias. Having said that, C4 will also often play to its supposed younger audience so is just as guilty of this... Certainly sensible to absorb news from more than one source.

Half the BBC's problem is it is constantly trying to please as many people as possible all of the time, which in itself alienates people as it can be very 'vanilla', (bland, too PC) because of the licence fee I guess. Having said that I watch it fairly frequently including repeats of old comedies, news, Panorama, Horizon, Sky at Night, Watchdog, Antiques Roadshow etc etc. Dont know why I still pay for Sky really, other than the Sky + and the (shite) broadband the TV is a lot of American pap tbh.

Last edited by Mellis46; 29-08-17 at 07:04 PM.
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 07:38 PM   #15
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Freesat here, no fees, no signal loss, used the old sky dish, got rid of sky too, a load of templated crap on it. Dish is 90% iron oxide, and it still works perfectly. (don't actually watch tv though so I'm presuming it works perfectly) Friends have a firestick with cody or some program on it, but that entails filling your house with wifi signals, which I'm pretty sure in time, as with mobile phones, will be linked to various, 'new' medical syndromes.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 10:42 PM   #16
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post
...filling your house with wifi signals, which I'm pretty sure in time, as with mobile phones, will be linked to various, 'new' medical syndromes.
I have empirical proof that Internet is linked with Tourette's. Especially when it drops down to sub dial-up speeds while trying to post to classic-audi.
Old 29-08-17, 10:42 PM   #17
Gaz

Quote:
Freesat here, no fees, no signal loss, used the old sky dish, got rid of sky too, a load of templated crap on it. Dish is 90% iron oxide, and it still works perfectly. (don't actually watch tv though so I'm presuming it works perfectly) Friends have a firestick with cody or some program on it, but that entails filling your house with wifi signals, which I'm pretty sure in time, as with mobile phones, will be linked to various, 'new' medical syndromes.
these freesat advert rub me up the wrong way a little.. they always say its totally free. But you are still paying the licence fee to be 'all above bored'.

I'd love freesat to actually offer an 'opt out' function that blocks all BBC content and removes your 'obligation' to pay the licence fee.

of course you now have things like online BBC content like BBC payer (or something like that )

but personally I've never used the online BBC service and never will. I only watch videos of 5 cylinder audis on YouTube anyway! ;D
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 11:00 PM   #18
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
I bought a nifty little gadget 20 years ago that could detect metal, electrical wires, AC current etc., and could test if your microwave was leaking radiation. It worked well.

Dusted it off yesterday and as soon as I set it to microwave test it went berserk. Moved in and out the house with it and the alarm continued. My oven wasn't even plugged in, so was I being bombarded by microwaves from outer space or a North Korean satellite?

It occurred to me that when I last used it 20 years ago there was no Wi-fi. Microwaves are similar to Wi-fi, n'est pas?

BTW Is a leaking microwave really that dangerous? There must be millions of them out there.

Last edited by Ringmaster; 29-08-17 at 11:02 PM.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 11:08 PM   #19
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Mobile towers, pulsed microwave radiation, your mobile does the same to your head!

I think wifi is much weaker, more of a radio wave I think but not sure. Yep cosmic radiation hits us all the time, the sun is probably more dangerous than a wifi signal in that sense (although routers are getting stronger all the time) but in nature there is a 'lifetime dose' that we have evolved to put up with, that lifetime dose time frame is cut in half if you use a mobile all day.

Yes a leaking microwave is definitely dangerous if you stand too close.

Last edited by missfire; 29-08-17 at 11:14 PM.
Old 29-08-17, 11:15 PM   #20
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
I have empirical proof that Internet is linked with Tourette's. Especially when it drops down to sub dial-up speeds while trying to post to classic-audi.