Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Non-starting 2.6E

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-19, 10:09 AM   #1
Alan67
Grown up member

Default Non-starting 2.6E

Hi again.

Unfortunately, this post isn't quite as positive as my previous ones since recently buying the car.

My 1993 80 (b4) 2.6E Saloon has been in my local garage since Wednesday morning getting a new timing belt, water pump, coolant change, thermostat, N/S Wishbone (due to worn bushes) and an oil change, thanks to a sump plug which was found to have been rounded off, removed...and replaced....by using a chisel!!!

Now, when I went to pick the car up at 6pm on Friday, the garage mentioned that when they brought the car back into the workshop to do the tracking, they couldn't get it to start. They had worked their way around to removing both the fuel pump relay and the intermittent relay. They cleaned the terminals, replaced, and the car fired up. They did the tracking, and parked the car outside. When I went to bring it home, it wouldn't start again. Removing and replacing the relays made no difference this time, so what they did earlier might have been coincidence.

They found that there was no spark and no fuel. Fuel pump could be heard priming and battery is good, turning the engine over well. They are thinking crankshaft sensor, but basically, this all happened as they were pretty much shutting up shop until Monday morning, so they just had to tow the car back into the workshop until then.

My curiosity is now getting the better of me though, not to mention a sense of impending doom as to how much this is going to cost to fix. So I guess my question is....what could be causing this, and could the misfire that the car has had in the 2 weeks that I've owned (but barely driven) it be linked in some way?
Alan67 is offline   Reply With Quote