Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Wiring loom for the front fogs

Old 11-03-17, 08:17 AM   #1
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Wiring loom for the front fogs

Morning folks...

I took out my center console switches yesterday to see if the loom and plug was behind them so that i can fit a front fog switch. It doesn't appear to be.. i can see the other four looms for the current four switches but not any spare ones. So been told to take the radio out and the trim under the steering wheel off, it may be in there..

So is the plug likely to be present at all, or am i wasting my time and if I want to get the front fogs working then i'd be lookig at fitting a whole new loom for it?

Last edited by Gmac; 18-07-17 at 06:08 PM.
Gmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 03:55 PM   #2
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Well I've had the radio out and the dash trim under the steering wheel off. Almost 100% sure there isn't an existing loom going to the cluster of switches for the front fogs. Which is a shame.. Not sure what to do now to get front logs working on the bumper...?
Old 12-03-17, 05:38 PM   #3
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

I would have a look at the front of the car for any floating, unused, or tied back cables/sockets- i.e. Similar to item 17

Then check the relay box, to see if there are any sockets for fog light relays. If there are, you may simply need a section of loom between the relay box and the dash.

And this is just a preview of some trash that Tapatalk ads are throwing at one when posting...
Old 12-03-17, 05:38 PM   #4
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Just saying...
Old 12-03-17, 05:40 PM   #5
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
Just saying...
Damn cartoons.....why can't it be real !?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 06:29 PM   #6
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

a friend of mine went through this on his Audi 80 1.6. He removed a loom from a V6 80. Wasn't actually that difficult as he only need the section inside the car.

The engine bay part was already there
Old 12-03-17, 09:05 PM   #7
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Cheers for the replys fellas, I do reckon I've got the loom with plug 17, as they are there at the front and I've plugged them in to the new bumpers fogs. So I'll have a look at the relays, and then take it from there. Sounds doable to get the loom inside the car to the switches. Although it sounds like a big ask to get someone breaking to go to the effort of getting the loom out? I can but ask I suppose!
Old 12-03-17, 09:36 PM   #8
msh
4 ring whore!

Depends on which loom you want to get...

Between fogs and fog switch there are two looms. One is in picture posted by Hanuman, route of the wires goes from fogs to connector attached to steering column - the yellow one, I guess. From there it connects to dashboard loom and goes to switch. Apparently you really don't have front fog part in your dashboard loom, as you wouldn't miss front fog switch plug - it's white and paired with yellow rear fog plug.

If I would be you, I would take soldering iron and add missing stuff to the dashboard loom - if using stock configuration, it's really just a wire from plug to that connector, and few wires to rear fog plug - although I don't know if in this poverty spec configuration the supply wire isn't much thinner - because at least over here usually dashboard looms have been butchered by someone else before me. Because of this, my A90q has dash loom that came out of Typ8A A80, which over time received wires for autocheck, trip computer, B4 climate control, cruise control and everything else possible. If you can get mint dash loom and don't want to solder, go for it.

Talking about soldering... I've reconfigured fog wiring of my car, so that there wouldn't be useless wires and instead of ignition turning on relay, which provides power to switches, switch is turning on the relay, which now powers front fogs. This schematic actually is outdated; now the fogs is receiving power through headlight loom connector, without useless loop in dash loom; apparently the designer of the fusebox had this in mind. Added connections to coding plug and separated front and rear fog switches was with using fog light loom for other purposes, like additional high beams or so.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 07:53 AM   #9
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply there msh. Unfortunately my soldering skills and electrical knowledge is poor and I I'm going to need a fairly straight forward solution.

Would the loom for the rear for switch work for the fronts? Ie grab the loom and plug from the inside of a breaker (there is one local to me) and use that for the fronts?
Old 13-03-17, 09:12 AM   #10
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

The truth is that you could cannibalise anything to get the job done, but it might/would still require some adaptations where it meets the rest of the wiring.

Have a look at the 7zap page
http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80+...80/1994-150/9/

It will help identify the components that make it look right inside the car, such as the correct switch.
You might actually find details of the loom that you need; i had a skim read, but only got as far as the switch.
The coloured sockets are also 'keyed', so that you don't go fitting the wrong switch in.

Identifying exactly what you do have, so that you can make the section that you don't have (or buy it from eBay, etc) has to be done if you want something that is plug'n'play.