Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Future Motoring

Old 04-02-20, 04:24 PM   #11
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

[quote=
I think we produce 1% of Co2 world polution,.[/QUOTE]

Yes... A fact that is hardly ever mentioned......
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 04:37 PM   #12
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Yes... A fact that is hardly ever mentioned......
Yep , so why oh why are we even thinking off doing this? It will be because off the medling Eu as it is their policy. I've heard Bosch ( A great German company) have come up with something very special for the internal combustion engine but has been discredited because the Eu has already made its mind up.

What Jake has written is true i too didn't realise to that extent how polluting shipping is. So the powers that be will tax the ordinary poor man into submission while they leave the wealth creators alone and it's filthy dirty worldwide distribution process.

Ok bit of a joke for some i'm sure but true, we used to have zero Co2 emission from shipping in the pre industrialised era, wind power. They should bring it back partially. When the ships can make use of the wind they should, That would reduce Co2 emissions an awful lot.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 05:12 PM   #13
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post

Ok bit of a joke for some i'm sure but true, we used to have zero Co2 emission from shipping in the pre industrialised era, wind power. They should bring it back partially. When the ships can make use of the wind they should, That would reduce Co2 emissions an awful lot.
When I'm not working for the TV bods I crew tall ship's. Have done for many years, and agree with that statement totally. I have several friends who haul cargo from Europe to the UK. Some do Rum runs to the Carribean. It's really not that much slower than ship's with engines if you know what you're doing. Added benefits of wind turbines on the ship and solar panels give it a real edge. There is progress on solar sails as well. Given today's technology ship's can be made lighter faster and bigger.. but as yet the big boys like steel ship's and heavy oils because of the tax breaks by every government going.

Even air transport is less polluting than big ships, especially given the carbon tax now built into some tickets.

Cars are small fry but governments know they have the public by the short and curlies.. and can tax accordingly.
Jake Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 06:36 AM   #14
andya
Classic Audi Club Member

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...OHN-NAISH.html

andya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 02:02 PM   #15
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Good article.....

If only people would take the time to read up a bit on the subject rather than rely on sound bites via the general media. Most of us are guilty of that to some extent though...

It's the sense of impending doom so many school kids seem to have now about climate change. It borders on hysteria and the likes of David Attenborough do nothing to balance the argument and governments are keen to react to it. I don't recall my generation worrying about being vapourized by the Warsaw Pact!

We face immediate threats from idiots with weapons of mass destruction, emerging viruses and anti-biotic resistance, but none of the little Gretas are panicking over that.
Old 05-02-20, 10:02 PM   #16
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

No-one seems to have thought of the poor sods like me who buy 2nd hand. Don't know about the rest of you but I've never bought a brand new car and prefer to buy one 5-6 years old with low mileage and let someone else take the depreciation. Hence I can then afford a top of the range Audi for 40% of the new price and then keep it another 5-6 years. Costs are manageable as I do all the work myself on my cars but this is going to change with electric cars. By the time people like me are forced to look at Electric only vehicles the battery will be past its best and a replacement battery isn't like now where you can get a re-bore or 2nd hand engine swapped for a few thousand. New batteries are going to be £15k+ and how are we going to dispose of these old batteries? As to the motors, a refurbed motor is going to be around £2-3k and if you have a car with dual + motors, owning a decent EV is going to be far more expensive and can see owning one being for the rich only. Mind you by the time I am forced to look at one I'll probably not be here to worry about it
As to our classics, there will have to remain fuel stations for many years as there will always be classic cars. And as to converting a classic to electric, well that's just completely missing the point of owning, driving and maintaining a classic car.
There's no way i'm fitting an electric motor into my Morris traveller that's for sure
New thinking is now coming out about diesels that says the new versions coming out actually produce less harmful emissions than petrol... And as mentioned, the actual amount of pollution from cars and even lorries has been dropping drastically over the past 10 years and governments really should be looking at other areas that produce a much greater amount of pollution, always seems to be the motorist that gets it in the teeth

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-20, 10:30 AM   #17
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vcqdriver View Post
New thinking is now coming out about diesels that says the new versions coming out actually produce less harmful emissions than petrol... And as mentioned, the actual amount of pollution from cars and even lorries has been dropping drastically over the past 10 years and governments really should be looking at other areas that produce a much greater amount of pollution, always seems to be the motorist that gets it in the teeth
Don't expect the powers that be to read and understand the science. Now they're proposing bringing the date forward again to 2032. Seems the desire to be seen as 'Green' is trumping logic again, just as with the decision to favour diesels all those years ago.
Old 14-02-20, 08:08 PM   #18
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Fuzz Townsend seems like a decent enough bloke...

Anyone know what his rep is among the motoring community?

Old 14-02-20, 09:25 PM   #19
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I've never seen anything bad about him, he seems to have a lot of patience.

I've seen the future for us middle aged blokes, £1700, no licence, tax or insurance needed:

Old 15-02-20, 09:34 AM   #20
vagdream
Grown up member

One of the nicest blokes I've met, always happy to give well reasoned advice.
vagdream is offline   Reply With Quote