Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » BŁ Brake caliper refurb

Old 29-11-16, 08:31 PM   #1
sciteacher
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default BŁ Brake caliper refurb

1. I've nearly got the caliper carrier bracket retaining bolt of the front of the B3 (just one left) Once they are all out, I suppose that my best bet would be stainless bolts. Can anyone suggest where I could get them from.

2. The calipers might be a bit seized (she's stood for a couple of years) so I wonder whether to do a self refurb with kits from, say Bigg Redd, or whether to get them done by someone like Bigg Redd (admittedly at a higher cost).

Has anyone got any help/opinions on these bits?
sciteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 08:43 PM   #2
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

If you are capable of doing the job yourself then go for it and put the saved money to something else

Put photo's on if poss as i have this to do sometime in the new year, and a description of what you do would be great as well.

Will watch what happens and hope it all goes well for you.
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 08:52 PM   #3
Andy10v
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I would not use stainless brake caliper mounting bolts, they should be 10.9 IIRC.

Depends on your tools, skills, condition of the calipers and if you want to deal with it. Are the pistons definitely seized? If may be they may just need the calliper carrier slides scraped clean, guide pins cleaned and lubed.

If the calipers are seized it might be worth checking the price of buying a refurbished caliper compared to getting yours refurbished.

If you DIY refurb the calipers and dont have an air compressor then get the piston most of the way out on the car before you remove the caliper.

Sold-1992 3B S2 coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, forged rods, rear torsen....
Sold-1993 ABY coupe
Andy10v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 08:56 PM   #4
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

I wouldn't buy stainless bolts- you might not be fitting sufficiently strong items. If the existing bolts are that bad, which is often unlikely, just replace with the standard parts from audi/Pete Reeve/just about anywhere. They've lasted several decades so far.

have a look through-
http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/
for the part number

Find the right car, part number.

As for getting old bolts out, there is a tendency for the slightly exposed thread (where it passes through the mounting face) to get a decent bit of rust on it if it's never been released. What I find helps is to remove everything around it, like discs, calliper, etc, get in with a wire brush, and clean it up as best you can. Undo the bolt slightly, ˝ to 1 turn, tighten again lightly. Then another clean up, squirt of penetrating oil, and come back after a cup of tea.

Doh! Too slow typing.

As for the callipers- I'd squeeze the pistons home, and partially push them out with brake pedal pressure, several times, against a block of wood held in the calliper. if they move freely, don't get excited. You could put a new dust seal on.
With all of the Black-friday/stick-it-to-em-monday stuff, Bigg red are offering discounts. So if it came to it, you might get a good deal.

Last edited by Hanuman; 29-11-16 at 09:01 PM.
Hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 09:04 PM   #5
sciteacher
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I would refer my learned friends to my other post about the forum.. I said you lot were good! I'm going to get to grips with this using standard bolt, I think, once I have the last one out. The carrier has rotated around the last bolt , so with a bit more northern persuasion, should allow the disc off. Then I'll take MSH's advice and keep you posted. Thank you gentlemen!
sciteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 11:21 PM   #6
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Gotta' love them as what knows stuff on this forum.. I'd be lost without them.
Jake Blight is offline   Reply With Quote