Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Coupe GT front suspension

Old 19-07-21, 04:43 PM   #1
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Default Coupe GT front suspension

Afternoon all

I'm currently going through the front suspension on my pre-facelift Coupe GT (KE engine). I'm not an expert mechanic, so bear with me....

So far I've removed, stripped, painted and re-bushed the anti-roll bar, drop links, control arms and subframe. I've got new bolts for the subframe and control arms (part no. N90556902), however they are fully threaded, whereas the bolts that were on the car were all part-threaded (I think it's likely at least the subframe ones are original as the bushes were). Does anyone know if fully threaded are ok please? I thought probably yes for the subframe but not sure about for the control arms... Also, the new nuts for the control arms, ball joint bolt etc are the serrated collar type rather than nyloc, they are one of the part numbers given on the Audi catalogue for those... Anyone know if those are ok or can I re-use the nyloc ones?

Normally I wouldn't worry too much, but keen to avoid anything undoing itself or breaking for obvious reasons...

Anything else I should look at doing while I have the subframe off? Gearbox mount?

Many thanks.
84CoupeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-21, 05:01 PM   #2
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Those fully threaded bolts will be fine. I've fitted them to a few of mine now both to the subtame and to the wishbones. The only issue with them is that some of them come with a 18mm hex head - there isn't as much room for the larger tools when refitting and some tool kits might not have a suitable 18mm socket

The shouldered nuts are quite useful when fitting the wishbones to the subframe as the swan neck spanner will slip over a normal nut. These are usually 16mm which verifies they are replacements and not originals when all your torque settings get checked.

Are you fitting new ball joints ? Makes sense to if it's all in bits. I usually replace the ball joint lock plates and pinch bolts at the same time - obviously new locknuts also.

I'd only replace the gearbox mount if it shows signs of cracks / splits.
Old 19-07-21, 05:26 PM   #3
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Cheers Mike, that is helpful. I'm pretty sure the bolt heads were the same size as the originals, however I did notice they were around 1cm longer. Hopefully that doesn't cause any issues.

Yes, I forgot to mention I've got new ball joints and tie rod ends to fit as well. I've got the pinch bolts but not the locking plates, they look ok but I notice Autodoc have got them at a ridiculously cheap price so will probably order those in with my next order from them.

Gearbox mount visually looks ok, but the outer tabs feel a bit dried out. I haven't looked into how much of a job it is. Would it make much difference to the drive if it's hardened/worn out?

Cheers
Old 20-07-21, 10:29 AM   #4
droopsnoot
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84CoupeGT View Post
Anyone know if those are ok or can I re-use the nyloc ones?
As I understand it, strictly speaking, you should never re-use nyloc nuts.
droopsnoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-21, 11:42 AM   #5
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopsnoot View Post
As I understand it, strictly speaking, you should never re-use nyloc nuts.
Yes, I think Audi/VW spec is to replace every time too. Reusing would probably be OK at a guess but when new nuts are cheap there's no reason to take any risk so I'll use the new serrated collar ones I've got and get some new nyloc ones for the drop links
Old 20-07-21, 01:08 PM   #6
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

If the gearbox mount is worn, it will allow it to move around more. Since it's bolted to the engine the whole assembly will feel looser.

You would notice it most when going off power to accelerating again and during changes
Old 20-07-21, 02:00 PM   #7
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
If the gearbox mount is worn, it will allow it to move around more. Since it's bolted to the engine the whole assembly will feel looser.

You would notice it most when going off power to accelerating again and during changes
Thanks. I've never driven it other than a very short distance on the driveway as it's not been on the road since 1996. Moving through the gears when it's stationary, it often doesn't want to go into gear but I'm guessing that is more likely to be due to lack of use, hopefully things will ease up once it's been driven a bit.

Can the gearbox mount be changed without removing the subframe, i.e. just removing the one bolt that goes through the subframe and gearbox mount? Or does the tightening sequence mean you have to remove and replace all the bolts again?

Cheers
Old 20-07-21, 04:11 PM   #8
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

There's 2 mounts. There's one in the subrame and there's also another which mounts to a bracket.

The one in the subframe is best replaced off the car.

The other one is held on the bracket by a couple of bolts so if you undo the big main bolt, the 2 small bolts should be easy to remove and you'll be able to remove it - gearbox needs to be supported or it won't line up afterwards.
Old 20-07-21, 10:03 PM   #9
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
There's 2 mounts. There's one in the subrame and there's also another which mounts to a bracket.

The one in the subframe is best replaced off the car.

The other one is held on the bracket by a couple of bolts so if you undo the big main bolt, the 2 small bolts should be easy to remove and you'll be able to remove it - gearbox needs to be supported or it won't line up afterwards.
Good info, many thanks.

Sorry, I have another question! I've replaced the wishbone to subframe bushes like-for-like with what was on the car... Pic of these below:
[IMG][/IMG]

I've just been looking at the Audi parts catalogue on OEM EPC online and noticed those bushes (part number 811407181) are for 81/82 model years and seem to go with the non-sided wishbones. My car is 84 and has the sided wishbones and drop links, which according to the catalogue seem to go with different bushes with a metal casing on the outside for years 83-87, part number 857407181 (see pic below):
[IMG][/IMG]

Anyone know if the bushes are interchangeable? I'm confused now, I thought getting the ones that were on the car was the right way to go, but the catalogue seems to say otherwise. I supposed a previous owner could have had the wrong bushes fitted?!

Any help appreciated! Many thanks.
Old 21-07-21, 10:01 AM   #10
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

No problems with the questions.

If you've gone to the trouble of fitting them, I'd be inclined to use them although they may not last as long.

Those bushes are slightly softer - they're used on the early 5 cylinder models which also had a different anti roll bar setup

The metal caged bush can also be 8A0 407 181 - they have a slightly larger flange on them.